Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Cheap MusicMan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i saw someone post info about a new MusicMan that is gonna come out that is less expensive...

does anyone have any info/specs/pics or know the release date?

bp13

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You might be thinking about the Bongo, which you can check out at the Musicman site, also if you do a search of this forum you will find pics and discussion of it. It ain't cheap, though.

You also might be thinking of the OLP line which look just like regular stingrays, but are made with greatly inferior materials and don't sound anything like the originals.

3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    There is also a new one called SUB that looks almost exactly like the StingRay and is going to be cheaper:
    SUB
    These are passive altough they will offer an active upgrade too.

hope this helped
    keep groooovin'
    Fran

4. Maybe you're thinking of the S.U.B.? Haven't heard too much about it, but a prototype debuted about the same time as the Bongo and the SUB is supposed to retail for under $800. Don't know too much about it, but there's a little info on it (and a pic!) on the fourth page of this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72527&highlight=new+ernie+ball+s.u.b.
    Don't know anything about a release date, but I assume that's the bass you have in mind... unless you're talking about those cheapie OLP copies...

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    frandiaz and silentstranger, that is the bass i was talking about....thanks so much

bp13

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    the sub is a stingray sans pre amp although it will offer the upgrade. also has a diamond plate pickguard and a new sort of resistant paint. kinda like a more durable version of those strats that were out that were sorta dull.

7. omg scilentstranger, i was reading and in your little signature it has [pronounced jack-o]!!~!! i did a report in school on jaco where we had to make a poster about the person, and under his name i wrote "pronounced jack-o" LOL awesome.

-w00t

8. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Has anyone had a chance to play one of these yet?