Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Cheaper-Warwick Choice Blues, in 12 bars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reens, Mar 31, 2005.

1. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    Hi gang,

I was a-thinking of putting some money into a cheaper WW like this one on EBay UK:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7310256738&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

The finish looks pretty plain and uninspired, and I'd rather have the two-pickup model (and then there's the question of being a 'real' standard, not some de-truss-covered lesser)... but after reading some of the posts here about the Streamer Standard's low volume/output, I'm starting to have mild second thoughts and possibly opting for a Rockbass corvette model like this one in Germany:

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_artikel-179583.html

But since there's no WW stockists in Dublin (how could this ever come to pass? Whispers of bankruptcy) I won't be able to get my hands on them and measure the relative 'growl' factor. I'm not big on growl but want a good warm bass, hence I thought I'd ask whomever has experience to put in two or three words of advice.

I plug into a Ashdown EBlue 180. I like Sonny T and Robbie Shakespeare and that Zender fellow. I want to believe in Warwick.

reens

2. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I'd definitely go with the Rockbass. I own a Fortress 4 myself and couldn't be happier. I've had mine for 6 months now. It sounds killer and plays great.

I also have an Electric Blue, mine's the Made in UK EB150 2x10. Killer combo!

3. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    If you're heading to Cork anytime sonn you can pick one up there.I know a place

4. You just buy an EMG BTC control and install it, keeping the pull-pot slap contour on the volume knob, and gaining 2-band active EQ to goose up a nice sound that sits between J and 'Ray territory. I did so on a single-pickup STD, played it for 2 years as a mainstay workhorse and then sold the bass...at a profit. Go for the German-made tonewood STD, not the RockBass, although it's not a bad bang for the buck either.

5. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    Never mind... I got a Rockbass Fortress. It took an email to Warwick in Germany, who then put me on to a guy in London, who then replied with details of the Dublin stockist. It's a small store on the Bachelor's Walk which (unusually) only stocks ESP and Warwick (strange combination). And they had plenty of Warwick. The service was a bit oblique ('Ashdown? That's Trace Elliot, man!?') but the bass is good... much better than the Corvette rockbass models (too much slap n treble). There must be something going on in musis store rep and rile, because of the four guitar stores I went to in Dublin, none either knew or wanted to say that Instrumental (the store) stocked WW. Strange.

But here she is:

http://www.warwickbass.com/news/1534021505BZASHF1W_Fortress honey HP front.jpg.jpeg

Fast, loud and plenty of range and just the right weight. Hooray.

6. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    Congrats! Here's a pic of mine:

[​IMG]

7. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    I love it... mine has the honey colour. Great feel and balance and look. No matter how hi or lo you strap it, it's eminently playable. After dorking around with cheapies and bad woods, it's nice to have a 'real' bass for once (even if it is made in China).
    cheers,
    reens

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The Fortress is probably my favorite Warwick body shape. What can I say? I like the long club-shaped upper horn. I'm curious as to why Warwick discontinued the Fortress shape on its German basses (Fortress and Fortress MasterMan have long been discontinued.) Not that popular I guess, even though the websites say the Fortress shape is/was.

9. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
  10. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    a rather lo-grade photo... w. Ashdown 180. Not visible is the fat grin on my face when the windows rattle. The other photo is doing my best Nigel Tuffnel in the yard (w. regretable trackies and knitwear...)

Attached Files:

11. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    Nice looking bass you've got there... You've had it for almost a month now... how is it treating you?

12. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    the bass is treating me well. Once I'd adjusted the truss to compensate for the heavies, it's been a dream. Am still quite thrilled at the variety of sounds I can get just by playing with the pickup arrangement. It's got great presence on the higher notes (G & D strings), I think it's nicely middle-y all the way round. Just cranking the neck pickup gives me the grins.
    I've got a feeling tho that the neck is quite bendy... if I push it at the headstock like on an acoustic to get a bit of a dip sound, then it literally does that, lowering the strings and all. One the whole, I'm jazzed. Can't wait to get a nice big space and really let er rip with some drums and backing...

13. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    Some sounds from my Chinese Warwick, recorded with a Zoom MRS802. I hope the Zip file works (about 3 mb download).

http://home2.scarlet.be/p4u02573/Bass_sounds_small.zip

The Rockbass has got Roto flatwounds, so it ain't as bright as some).

The first MP3 file is mostly direct to Zoom 8-tracker. Riff one is clean without any tonal adjustment at all; bass set to all-normal (ie volume/tone all set to middle setting). Second is with the Finger bass effect. Third with Funky effect and a bit more treble. Fourth plugged through the Ashdown 180 and lined out again, pretty much everything set to standard, no EQ, nuthin (ok, maybe a little less treble than usual).

The second MP3 is just noodling with the Zoom. EQ and bass-volume improved but still pretty basic. One stolen riff in there.