Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Cheapest 5 string you can buy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Aug 13, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, I'm thinking of Buying a Warwick Streamer Stage II 5 string next year, but before i do so i want to make sure a 5 string bass is for me. Can anyone tell
    me who make's a CHEAP 5 string bass very similar in feel to the Warwick Streamer Stage II 5? I.e. Neck size & string spacing.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most cheap 5ers have smaller string spacing, and you won't find something similar, except maybe Warwicks own Rockbasses.

But why not buy a Streamer 2nd hand?

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    your not gonna find one. A 5 string is a tough cookie to get a good one. That b string is hard to get on a cheap bass. A streamer stage 2 is NOT a cheap bass so its gonna feel totally different. Just play it alot in the store and if u even think u MIGHT not like the 5 string just get the 4. Ive played those and they are super nice if u like warwick.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    cheapest 5-string you can buy is a rogue.....

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hmm, I was thinking Yamahas. Oh wait, that for electric guitars, not basses. Nevermind.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The overall feel won't match a Warwick, but the best CHEAP fiver with conventional string spacing would be a Fernandes retro 5. You can pick up a used one for a couple hundred bucks and they are actually decent basses.

7. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I went through a similar phase in my life. I would suggest trying to rent a 5 string, not buy one. You are just throwing money away either way.

Nothing cheap... scratch that... nothing up to $700 is going to feel anything like a Stramer stage 2. Warwicks now have a weird neck shape, whereas 99% of other basses have a pretty basic neck shape.

If you were to get a bass to try 5 on, get a used one, maybe a streamer std 5. Other suggestions for a 5 that I have are 35" scale (schechter, dean) and they feel way different in just that sense alone, although I played a Modulus after my Warwick, then switched back and it was sweet.

8. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    You may want to check out a Squier Special 5, IMO it's by far the best cheap 5-string.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A used MTD Kingston 5 would be around $350 - $400, and would tell you a lot about whether a 5 is for you. You might even like it so much that you put off the SSII for a while longer.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Cheapest five-string you can buy? Mine! I'll sell it for a hundred bucks. You know it's good because it's a Samick (the last K is for Kwality).

11. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark

Apr 12, 2002
    I think that the Schecter DeLeo 5 is a good investment. Very well made, duncan designed pups. The B string is tight. I love mine, but good for you, money problems dictate I sell it. Check out the listing in the classifieds ;-)

12. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    There is a Dillion 5 string Stingray copy for sale on ebay. They have gotten good reviews, and the price is right. If I had the funds I'd be on it.

13. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Who cares if it feels similar?

14. I wouldn't advise you to get a "cheap" 5'r. I have one and the B rattles no matter what. Stupid of me to start off with a "cheap" 5'r. I think I'm crossing over to 5 strings though. Even after getting my P-Bass 4. My "cheap" 5'r is a SDGR, that's the problem.