the Cheese Nazi

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jeff_bass28, Sep 19, 2006.

1. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Ok, so I'm at work the other day; deli, you know...
    This guy comes in & orders a half pound of American cheese.

Yellow or white, I ask.

"WHITE! The only color an American SHOULD be!"

***? It's just cheese, dude! (And if you feel that way about your cheese...!)

PS--hello again! :D

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Haha! Wow...

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

What variety of cheese would that be - I only know Dutch,English,French, Greek,Italian etc. - name me an American variety of cheese....?

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

American Cheese:
    B00032A46A.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's not cheese - that's an industrial by-product!! :eek:

:spit:

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Yes, I agree, but it has its uses. Most Americans use it on cheese burgers and the like. I'll take a good old slice of pepper jack any day.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

That stuff really does not cut it with me.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I like all types of real cheese i.e. not processed - favourites are :

Jarlsberg, Havarti, Red Leicester, Mozzarella, Emmental,Sage Derby,Boursin, Edam, Stilton,Feta etc. etc.

But I have never heard of a variety of Cheese that is American ...:confused:

Most seem to be talking about Cheddar - which is clearly a place in Britain and a British variety of cheese!! :meh:

9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Cheese is cheese. They are all some form or another of fermented and hardened cow milk by-products. You can give it a fancy name, but like wine can be wittled down to nothing more than grape juice gone bad, cheese is a block of cow excretions.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Ha - I just looked on the net and found an American website :

www.cheese.com

Which has a database of Cheese types - I typed in American Cheese and got this :

» American Cheese «

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Cheese is smooth, with light, yellow or orange color. The cheese is usually cut into square slices and it does not separate when melted. It has a mild taste.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Philistine!!

Seriously - you are missing out on one of the great pleasures in life - there is an almost infinite variety of flavours, textures and taste experiences from really good cheese - one of life's great joys! :)

Brie is nothing like Emmental and Mozzarella is nothing like Edam - vast differences and even more if you compare high quality hand-made cheeses!!

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Now that the search is up, find my old thread called "The cheese thread" ... quite the interesting read.

However, I've always known American Cheese to be yellowy orange and very processed. I'll take it on burgers, but that's about it.

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Haha, I enjoy many great cheeses and many great wines. My wife and I go to wine tastings frequently, which usually includes a variety of cheeses that go great with said wines.

14. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Slightly off cheese topic:
    Once some older man came in and asked me if I was one of those fag types on account of my earings.
    I asked if he was propositioning me.

Apparently he wasn't. :(

Back on cheese topic: I remember being a child and finding swiss and bleu cheese absolutley disgustipating. Not so anymore!!!

15. Bruce Lindfield

So - there's no other variety of American cheese, that isn't this industrially-processed stuff!! :spit:

What have you all been doing for the last hundred and fifty years!!?? ;)

16. Bruce - American cheese is another name for processed cheese. It has a very simple taste and most prefer a real cheese, but American cheese is much cheaper, and it lasts much longer than other types of cheese.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well duh - I'd worked that out long ago - I'm just amazed there is no American variety of real cheese...? :meh:

18. i like cheese :)

19. Look under Cheeses by Country, United States.

20. I saw the package of government surplus "American Cheese," it read "Cheese Like Food Substitute."

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021