the Cheese Nazi

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jeff_bass28, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I worked at Mr. Sub, and we had bricks of "American" cheese. I asked "whats the difference? Isn't this just cheddar" My boss just looked at me and said "Listen. Just do your job, and don't ask questions."

What's worse is that I live in Canada :meh:

-Mark

2. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I thought cheddar was an American variety cheese (even though it's a take on English Gloucester and the like)... plus Colby, which is a very mild cheddar, I think is also an American developed variety. There must be more... it's just called "American" cheese because that's what Kraft called it during the golly-gee 40's... give it a "wholesome" name so no one realizes how truly vile it is.

EDIT: I stand corrected... I didn't realize cheddar was a village in England...

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Cheddar is a particular variety of cheese that was developed long ago in Britain - Cheddar is a place in Britain!!

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Wow. Somebody really likes cheese. I can of about a hundred things ahead of cheese that rate as "one of life's great joys."

Different strokes I guess.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well - if all you have are Kraft slices of processed industrial effluent - then I'm not surprised!! ;)

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    There are you again Bruce; talking out your rear again about a country you know diddley squat about.

Newsflash: We have all the same varieties of cheese here in the States as you do Bruce. MSU (the college I attend) produces Edam cheese in the Agricultural school. It tastes awful. I prefer Feta.

7. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Bruce,

Have you ever heard of Monterey Jack?

http://www.foodreference.com/html/fmontereyjackcheese.html

We make some great cheeses in the US. They call people from Wisconsin Cheese heads because the state is known for its cheeses. Here in Oregon we are very proud of our Tillamook brand cheese. I am a cheese lover and Tillamook is good stuff.

The best cheese shops I have ever seen were in Toronto, Ontario.

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

When was the last time a new cheese was "discovered" anyways? Most if not all of the good cheeses come from Europe because they have a much longer time line of history. Most of this **** your average American eats these days is industrial effluent. Why do you think their is such an obesity problem here?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Ahem - Edam is a Dutch variety of cheese and Feta is Greek!! :spit:

10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/Builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Kraft slices aren't all we have. Like the original poster was refering to, American cheese also comes in big blocks and can be sliced deli style if that's what you want. It's way better then the individually wrapped processed slices. There are lots of brand names to pick from if you want "American". I prefer the white stuff myself.

There's also "Cheese Whiz" and "Velveta"! Great for cheese dip with a can of Rotel tomatoes or for making sloppy nachos.

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Where I grew up, there are a lot of small dairy farms, and I always have my folks bring down some extra sharp white cheddar whenever they visit me... really great stuff... and I'm with you about cheese being "one of the finer things in life." It's hard to get really good cheese outside of large American cities (unless there's a lot of local production like in Vermont, Wisconsin, upstate New York, California) however, good cheese is starting to be easier to find in more places. While I like a lot of cheeses with bite, I have a soft spot for Port Salut and triple cream bree (oh, that was a terrible joke)...

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Bruce, I'm not claiming the stuff. I just saying that most European cheeses are readily available at 99% of most local grocery stores.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I have been asking for the last hour or so and you are the first person to come up with any names for varieties of American cheese!! :p

I have heard of Monterey Jack and was expecting that's what people would say straight away - but I think there is some doubt about whether it is a different variety as such and not just an American version of Cheddar...:meh:

So - from that link : "When aged or dry it resembles Cheddar" ....

14. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    And that they're made here in the U.S. with fairly high standards... I think some American dairies have over time developed different varieties of common cheese, like Colby cheese which is a mild cheddar that was developed in Colby, Wisconsin...

15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    You're all a bunch of Communists!

16. Bruce Lindfield

But that was the question I was asking!! So what could truly be called an American variety (discounting the processed muck of course)!!

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think I know who the real Cheese Nazi is..... ;)

18. Bruce Lindfield

I just looked at Tillamook - which is a brand of high-quality cheese - but they make Cheddar and Mozzarella - English and Italian varieties of cheese...

Still no American varieties...:meh:

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Monterey, Colby, Pepper, there are a lot of different varieties originating in the American SW.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I give you....American Cheese:

1993_David%20Hasselhoff.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021