the Cheese Nazi

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jeff_bass28, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    That's like saying bass is bass, and that a Jazz and a Ric are all the same. Referring to the "American Cheese" dilemma, most localities in Canada have their own varieties of local cheese, so there's no doubt that American cheese exists. That doesn't mean it's good, it just means it is...

But back to THE ACTUAL SUBJECT DISCUSSED IN THE FIRST POST, do you think the client was referring to cheese or something else? Can he really be that stupid?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

They basically seem to be Cheddars - based on the English variety!

3. Jarlsberg = WIN

You americans get good ol' norwegian cheese over there? :D

4. America makes two wonderful cheeses by the name of Cheese Whiz and Velveeta. They stole the recipe from DuPont Chemical.

Then there's Gov't cheese. Mmmmm....

5. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Here is the web page of the American Dairy Association called the "Cheese Appreciation Guide." The ADA calls Colby, Monterey Jack and Brick American originals. Brick and Colby are attributed to Wisconsin and Monterey Jack to California.

http://www.goodcooking.com/amcheese/amcheese.htm

An interesting tibit from the page about Wisconsin.

from ADA's I love cheese:

Colby is made differently from Cheddar

http://www.ilovecheese.com/cheese_profile.asp?Cheese=Colby

Everything you could possibly want to know about cheese.

http://www.ilovecheese.com/default.htm

6. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I would argue in favor of europe winning the cheese battle. I imagine somewhere around 5 million to 1/2 or something along those arbitrary lines.

But don't judge us on our cheese, judge us on our healthcare or education system instead!!! :D

I would imagine america's lack of national cheese has to do with something along the lines of the melting pot of many different cultues and no actual american culture until the past 80 years or so? So looking at modern american culture and american cheese I think you'll find a great metaphor.

7. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    For a list of american cheeses from cheese.com:
    http://www.cheese.com/countrystep2.asp?Country=United States

* American Cheese
    * Bergere Bleue
    * Brick
    * Capriole Banon
    * Colby
    * Cold Pack
    * Cougar Gold
    * Crowley
    * Cypress Grove Chevre
    * Dry Jack
    * Fresh Jack
    * Grafton Village Cheddar
    * Hubbardston Blue Cow
    * Idaho Goatster
    * Maytag Blue
    * Monterey Jack
    * Monterey Jack Dry
    * Peekskill Pyramid
    * Plymouth Cheese
    * Shelburne Cheddar
    * Sonoma Jack
    * Swiss
    * Texas Goat Cheese
    * Tillamook Cheddar

They left out Colby Jack, which I like on deli-meat sandwiches.

8. -

9. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    I guess we should also count the powder that comes with mac and cheese as an American cheese, that seems to be my son's favorite :)

10. swiss heese is american now?

arbitrary when you say to judge you on your healthcare systems, is this a joke or do you want us to look down on you? a lil confused on that one.

by the way gouda is the shizzle

11. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Found a pic of Bruce and his dog eating some Wensleydale...

Attached Files:

12. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Ok, there are hispanic cheeses which if you've been to California or the western part of america ...I think you know where this could go:

Cotija and various queso's:

http://www.specialcheese.com/queso.htm

Do ya think special cheese has to wear a helmet too?

13. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I can and will!

Truth be Damned!

Truth has no place by my side!

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

But you can't claim that a cheddar is an American variety, it is clearly an English variety!

I'm suspicious about most of those....:meh:

;)

15. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I suppose you could take it either way, maybe I wasn't blatant enough... I suppose you could take me seriously, but if you do WATCH OUT!

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Bruce

At what point does one cheese differ enough from another cheese that it is an original type? Can you give us some guidance on what you would consider an original and non-derivative cheese. It may help.

17. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    Yeah, a lot of the ones they list are variations of other cheeses. Colby, Monterey Jack, and cream cheese originated in the US.

18. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA

Swiss is american?
    What the crap? I'm not up to snuff on cheese history, but something is rotten in Denmark if Swiss is actually American .

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    That's like saying American wines are based on the French or Italian varieties. One taste tells a very different story. Vermont, Wisonsin, and Tillamook (Oregon) cheddars are worlds apart from each other. One might argue that any cheese made from American milk is uniquely American cheese, regardless of the bacterium used to culture it or the mechanical process used to create it.

But if you want to be really rigorous (who, Bruce? :cool:), look into
    Liederkranz or American Bison cheeses. The fact that neither is commercially viable, but that processed cheese food product is, says a lot, no?

20. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Speaking of Cheese Nazi, where's our resident jack-booted-thug cheezewiz?? Still beating Willie Nelson? We need his input!

;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021