the Cheese Nazi

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jeff_bass28, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jarlsberg , Havarti , Mozzarella, Edam , Emmental, Danish Blue, Brie - are all incredibly different things and instantly recognisable!!

Slight variations on Cheddar are not!!

2. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    I thinke they are just saying that swiss cheese is an american version of the swiss emmental, which makes it a different type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

And we'll win the Ryder Cup as well!! ;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

No - it's the same type, made in a different place!! :meh:

5. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    It's very clear that Colby and Monterey Jack are American Originals.

From the page:
    http://www.ilovecheese.com/cheese_profile.asp?Cheese=Colby

Colby was first made by Joseph Steinwand in Colby, Wisconsin, in 1874. At the time, it was the only natural cheese native to the U.S. Though it is similar in taste to Cheddar, it's made differently. While Cheddar is stacked and aged, Colby is relatively lightly pressed and requires no aging at all.

http://www.ilovecheese.com/cheese_profile.asp?Cheese=Monterey+Jack

David Jacks, a Scottish immigrant and dairy-owner in Monterey, California created Monterey Jack in the 1890s. Jacks followed a Swiss-method of cheesemaking, which is why Monterey Jack has its semi-soft, cracked texture.

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/Builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    String cheese
    Cheetohs!

7. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm - maybe - I've had Monterey Jack in the UK and it just tastes like Cheddar to me....:meh:

Whereas there is, as I say, huge variety in European cheeses.

8. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    What about Frumunda cheese?

9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm thinking along the lines that if you eat mexican food in somewhere like France it'll taste along the same lines as eating mont. jack in the uk,
    But I could be wrong.

Mont. Jack tastes like cheddar? Now thats just silliness.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So Bruce, do you want someone to show you a completely different style of cheese that was created in America and not derived from any existing style of cheesemaking?

That seems pretty far fetched given that most of the existing cheeses that you call "originals" would have been developed long before the US came into existence. Why should the US have to develope a unique style of cheese when the existing types cover the whole field. What would be the point of an "AMerican cheese" which fits your definition?

One might equally ask, how many original styles of cheese have the Europeans developed since the USA came into existence? Surely those European's havent been sitting on their butts living off past glory have they? :D

11. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I always thought it was Fumunda cheese.

Cream cheese is American. Called Philidelphia, but developed in New York.

12. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Since Mexico is in N. America, I claim Mexican cheese as part of american cheeses.:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

13. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Bruce, I thought you were all up in arms because you thought American processed cheese was all that we had over here or all that we made over here... It seems that your arms are just permanently up :p I'm with Mark, original always doesn't mean good and cheese making has long been a human endevour.

I mean, since Native Americans as far as I know didn't produce cheese (at least not the Native Americans in what is now the U.S., they may have in Mexico and Peru since these were very advanced societies) cheese making was brought over by immigrants... of course, they took the methods that they were familiar with and adapted them to the materials available.

Plus you're telling me that Stilton and Roquefort tastes the same to you? They're both blue cheeses, but they have such different ways of being made and different flavors. Or the difference between cottage cheese and Indian paneer? Both are fresh curded cheeses, but the end result is very different...

I can't believe I'm going on this long about cheese :rollno:

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    ding-ding-ding.

15. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Wow...lots of cheese talk in this thread...God I hate cheese.

I work in a deli as well, and I've discovered that the more expensive a cheese is, the more it smells like garbage...Which is awesome. That way, I can get good cheese for cheaper than garbage.

Gouda, Havarti, Mozza, and Edam...those are the way to go...and oboviously Cheddar.

"Swiss cheese is the only cheese you can bite and miss."

16. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    BEHOLD!! The power of cheese!

17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Excellent! :D

Any USA cheeses mentioned here?

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    There we go again, Frumunda and Fumunda are from two completely different parts of...........town. :D

Don't confuse this with A.S.S. Cheese...

19. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Isn't Frumunda Australian cheese? Or is that Downunda cheese?

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    We're talking apples and balls here, Budman.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021