The Chicken

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  2. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    yaaeeaaah that guy tears it up :bassist:

incredible tone as well... dont know his name unfortunately
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm getting a broken link for the movie, but all google searches are coming up with Tom Kennedy, who slays.
  4. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, its tom kennedy. he chops really really hard on the 5string fodera
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Tom Kennedy. The tune is on the Dave Weckl Band Live (and definitely plugged in) cd! This cd kills! Tom Kennedy, IMO, is one of the best bassists in the world! World Class!
  6. Yes - he's a complete monster for all the RIGHT reasons - tone, musicianship and chops - a real class act.

I can't get the clip to download but I have the DVD it's from anyway - there are some other cool clips of TK on tour on the Dave Weckl site - have a look here:

Click on the 'Perfomance' link - a new window will launch - then click on the performance link at the top - at the bottom of the page is another small scolling menu - find the EU Tour 04 Video Clips - and check out TK's solo on Toby's Blues - that's some great ****!

7. I love that tone and attack. Playing by the bridge is exciting when done right...and its safe to say Kennedy plays well back there. Can't go wrong playing along with that patented Dave Weckl snap either.

8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I enjoyed it all except for the solo. That wasn't even tasteful :p. Still, great video.
  9. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
  10. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Eeeew. The drum stuff is cool, but the keyboard sounds lame and is playing the wrong basslines.. ;)
  11. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Actually i thought the that solo was very hip,kinda had a mike brekerish vibe to it.
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

13. Tommy's playing always draws a similar 'love it or hate it' vibe as Weckl's drumming. Great time, lots of chops and technique, but sometimes lacking 'groove and taste' IMO. The Weckl live version of the Chicken is amazing... but to me, when you compare it to the original, there's just something lacking in the 'feel' of that playing.

That being said... I wish I could play 1/100th that well!
  14. Jazzin'

I like those two videos. I don;t dislike any parts of them.
  15. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Weckl has come a long way as a drummer since the early '90s. I think that video is the loosest and most grooving that I've ever heard him. Dude seriously needs to sit down and listen to nothing but old Meters records for about a month though. :)
  16. I think that Tom is great and he uses the B string with taste. I'm not the biggest fan of his solo because he wants to play fast:smug: Still a great bassplayer and the bass sounds real nice. The things he does the on their version of the chicken is amazing

17. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    MAAAAAAJOR balancing issues.
  18. Jazzin'

Yes, we just played right into a mixer without a test run. For some reason, the rest of my band thinks it sounds really good. They're all like "Oh! Your soundcard and your speakers suck! It sounds awesome on my computer, I can hear the bass so well." I have a good enough soundcard and a 100$ 2.1 Altec Lansing speaker set. The guitar is also very low on the solo.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I thought that was pretty damn good! The keyboardist appears to be blind which makes it even more impressive! Yeah he was playing the bassline 'wrong' but try playing lefthand bass and chording and soloing with the right hand at the same time! To me, that's impressive! Who cares if it doesn't sound like the original. It's all about interpretation and improv! Isn't that we strive for?