The Christmas gig: we rocked 'em

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Well. We did it. That gig - our first real show - that I was so worked up about, went really really well.:D

I'm not saying the band was superb musically, because I'm sure we were not, but we certainly entertained the audience and gave them a great night....which I suppose it what it's really all about. We even had complete strangers coming over to shake our hands and to say how well we'd done.:D

Apart from my playing, over recent weeks at 2 trial runs for this gig, I've worked on presenting the show by chatting with the audience, telling a few stories/jokes etc. This has gone down really well with the audience and the guys in the band. One guy - a singer with another band - came over at the end using words like "excellent" and "brilliant" to describe the way I presented it. He was convinced I'd been in show business for years:eek:

Anyway, I got a genuine buzz from playing and can't wait to do it again. The only slight downturn is that the singer has decided not to carry on: he's retiring.

So, thanks to you TBers for your help and support. Your contribution definitely made a difference.

Best wishes.

2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I am glad your show went well. Can you describe some of the preperation that you went through before the show? My band is getting ready for some shows in January... But we are not accustomed to "entertaining" the audience. I don't wanna go up there, "Ladies and Gentlemen - The Four Stiffs!" and just stand there playing. :p
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Yeah I'd like to know what you did to present the band too.
  4. Glad everything went well for you and your band John. Sorry the singer's quitting, but, them's is the breaks.

Continued good luck.
    Mike J.
  5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Cool stuff!

Congrats and good luck next time!
  6. Good morning.

In terms of presenting the show, I did almost nothing at all to prepare. As silly as it sounds, whatever happens just seems to flow naturally when I'm in front of a mic. It's spontaneous: well, at least it has been so far!! Whatever it is I do, it just works. In a way, I suppose I just cover up my natural nervousness with patter and banter. Perhaps it's a bit like an actor getting into character, or something like that. Err, that's not much help is it.

It all started at rehersals. During breaks in the music I'd fill the silence by speaking to the empty room as though it was crowded with people. I don't know why I started doing it, I just did. I told a joke or two, made a few remarks at the band members' expense and found them chuckling at what I was saying. That was really good practice for a live show, as it turned out. All I've done is to embellish that stuff when we played the gig and "public rehersals".

Since that time I've been working on a character based on a typical northern British club comedian. He has already appeared, and will be developed as we play more gigs.

Does that help? If not ask some more.

7. Oh yes. This seems to go down well.

"Good evening (name of venue, party, etc). 'Everybody alright? Everybody having a good time? Well don't worry, we'll soon put a stop to that for you....."

"We're your live entertainment for the next 5 (or whatever) hours. We know 4 songs so we'll be playing them 63 (or whatever) times each."

"We are (name of band). Tomorrow we'll be called (another name) so you can book us again without even realising you've got the same awful band twice....Well, not until we start playing and by then it's too late...."

I tried this at my son's school.

"So you want some rock and roll, eh?" (kids scream, 'Yes'.

"Well, we're not doing it." (Groan from audience). "We're under instructions to play some gentle tunes. You've got to sit down and listen to this...."

I play Bach's Air on a G string, then stop and look at audience. Kids look benused.

"OK. Here's another sweet melody."

Then go straight into a rock 'n' roll stomp.

I tried this last Saturday night.

"When we played here a few weeks ago a woman in the audience threw her knickers at the singer. Now, unfortunately, she forgot to take them off first and the poor guy spent three days in hospital having the smile taken off his face."

"Now, if you're in tonight, love, either take them off first or, if you want to keep them on, would you mind throwing them at me....."

The above stuff seems rehersed, but it wasn't. It was quite spontaneous.:D

8. I like doing this thing:

Pick a number before the show, any number. Let's say you picked 3.

"Good evening. We're the band 3. There are four of us. 3 times 4 is 12. 12 split with 2 is six. 3 sixes in a row is 666. 666 is the number of the beast. Therefore we are the band of the beast."

Just find a fact or a number or anything and connect it with anything, just make it stupid enough. I have not tried it on stage yet, but it did wonders in math class. :)