The Cirrus is back!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mad Zak, Oct 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. The Mad Zak

The Mad Zak

Mar 20, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Bassists rejoice! The Cirrus is back!

The new Sweetwater catalog came in the mail today, and I opened it to the bass guitars. To my surprise, I saw that Peavey is making the Cirrus basses again!

They stopped making them in the late 2000's. I was told by a Peavey rep that they were trying to get a new factory ready. Well, maybe the economy had something to do with it, but they never did get back to making them again...that is, until now.

Peavey does not seem to get the respect it deserves. The company started out producing decent gear at a great price. Back then musicians viewed people who played Peavey as amateurs who were not proficient enough to afford the good gear. Today there are still gear snobs who look down on Peavey. Yes, they still makes ok stuff at a low price, but they also have some world class gear. The Cirrus is one of those world class products.

I've gotten to play a lot of high-end basses over the years: Alembic, Ken Smith, Modulus, etc. The Peavey Cirrus has the best playing neck of any bass I've ever held in my hands. My #1 bass for 25 years was a custom shop BC Rich made in the 80's. The Cirrus replaced it due to its playability. Every bassist who has played my Cirrus was extremely surprised as to how easily it played, and most of these guys wouldn't have taken one down off the wall at Guitar Center to play one because it had "Peavey" on the headstock.

I have two Cirrus basses. I don't need another one, but I am glad to see the Cirrus is back on the market!
    [​IMG]

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It looks like these will be high quality imports.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I believe the new Cirrus will be a higher end import like the Lakland Skyline series.

fuzzychaos likes this.
  4. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I saw this in the Sweetwater catalog but nothing is mentioned or listed on the Peavey site.

5. If they hope to compete with their own earlier production,
    they will have to build a very good product, indeed.

bholder, ShenmueTacos and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. They would sell more of them if they were 34" scale.

StayLow and mech like this.
  7. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I sent Sweetwater a message to when are these coming out, I'm still not finding anything on the internet when these are coming out.

8. I just bought a Minimega 1000 and it's the first P product I've bought in 35 yrs. it's one of if not the best amps I've ever owned and that includes Genz, Glock, and other big names. Color me impressed.

9. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Does anybody out there in Talkbass or Peavey land know when these are really coming out or not?

10. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    This bums me out...got my hopes up for US production again, even though it'd be pricey. God, how I miss Peavey's lineup 10-15 years ago....

2cooltoolz likes this.
  11. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Maybe the 4 stringers will come in 34", but a lot of 5 string players prefer 35" for the B on a 5'er.

EagleMoon likes this.
  12. Right. I had a USA Millennium 4 string and even though I loved everything about the bass the 35" scale really irritated my tendinitis.

13. The Mad Zak

The Mad Zak

Mar 20, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    You're probably right. When I spoke with the Peavey rep years ago they were outfitting a new factory in Tenn for the custom shop instruments. They may have decided to keep the custom shop attention to build, but move the factory overseas.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. The Mad Zak

The Mad Zak

Mar 20, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    I bought one, too. I really like it. I like the tones that can be added to emphasize the low end. However, I am disappointed at the compressor. It doesn't seem to be extremely effective. For now I guess I'll have to stick with my MarkBass tube compressor. It's a foot pedal but I have it mounted in my rack.

15. Skeptismo

Skeptismo

Sep 5, 2011
    Washington
    Not a whole lot of pedal or onboard amp compressors out there that compare with the markbass compressore. No shame in that game!

16. I don't use much compressor so I haven't noticed a problem. I did think it was pretty subtle. But then I don't play much slap at all, I'm an old school, fingers mostly, some pick, kind of guy.

17. My Peavey Cirrus was my dream bass... and still would be if it didn't go missing while on a "court ordered vacation". The flack of a 35" is still mind boggling to me. It's a 1" difference between what 24 frets (and yes I know that's not the entire scale length issue). Call me daft or whatnot but to me that difference isn't that detectable. Idk just a random venting while at work lol.

18. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

It looks like the import version from the last time Peavey offered the Cirrus. That's how I discovered them, with the import. It was awesome, the difference between it and the USA version was marginal. I quickly acquired two USA versions nonetheless.

If they are meeting the same quality and performance standards of the last run of imports, this is really good news. There's still a healthy demand for these. But at that price, I might be tempted to hold off for a gently used USA version with HSC.

19. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I played these at a dealer back in 99'-2,000 maybe but couldn't justify the cost at the time. I have to disagree with the assertion they are only marginally better than the later imports. I found these very special, flawless wood work, nice modern action, very Hi Fi sound, IMHO. I would love an original 5 in Bubinga, or Walnut, or...... Well you get the picture.

20. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Anyone see the undercover boss with Peavey? I would have a hard time supporting that company ever again.

bholder likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021