The Cirrus is back!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mad Zak, Oct 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Your wording is kind of throwing me a bit...

Let me clarify: I should have said the difference between the USA and the early Indonesian import (a.k.a. "BXP") versions was marginal, which was the common observation at the time from those who played both. I owned both an Indonesian BXP and a USA model, and they were very close to the same bass guitar, the import was extremely well-made. I think only the electronics were slightly different, but the BXP tone was still very close and the playability was virtually identical to the USA. I think the early BXP had individual finger saddles and the USA version had a high-mass bridge plate. Indonesian BXP was available in only the quilt maple "tiger eye" top, USA was available in a host of finishes.

I think when they moved production of the imports to China the quality suffered. Maybe that's what you played. So, who knows what this new import is going to be like. This thread kind of tells the story of the different import BXP's: Peavey Cirrus BXP - Not what I expected!

For the prices in that catalog, I certainly hope the new imports are like the early Indonesian BXP's. That's a lot of coin when a gently used USA Cirrus can be had for right around the $1K mark.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Exactly. Plants close. I don't like it but it happens. But when an employee can see the writing on the wall, find another job, and you get him to not start that other job. Then close the plant weeks later. That's not how you do business. That guy had every right to be pissed.

It's sad when jobs go, but it's a part of life and I'll accept it if done with respect.

bobcruz and willsellout like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I couldn't watch more than a few seconds of that, yeah, I still love my Peaveys, but I think I'm in the used market only from now on. Sad.

willsellout likes this.
  4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Hartley Peavey is an acquired taste at the best of times. But that's to be expected when you're dealing with somebody who takes extreme pride in himself for routinely going in the exact opposite direction of everybody else - whether or not it makes sense to do so. I think the technical term for that is what's called "being a real jerk." The fact such people occasionally turn out to be right doesn't make them any less difficult to deal with - or listen to.

I have mixed feelings about things like plant closures. The problem began with the wholesale exporting of US manufacturing capabilities by American business way back in the '80s. And that bit of shortsightedness (born or necessity or greed depending on who you talk to) continues to haunt - and hurt us - till this day. And right now that's a bigger challenge than any single company is ever going to be able to deal with purely on its own, no matter how good their intentions. Fixing that is going to require systemic changes in how we conduct our businesses and behave as consumers.

I'm not holding my breath.

willsellout likes this.
  5. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
  6. Trisfae

Trisfae

Sep 20, 2016
    Canada
    Yea I won't be supporting Peavey in anyway. Only got bad things to say, for the Peavey fans it's just a real shame they lose out the most.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021