1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Clash... Overrated????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jackcregg, Aug 17, 2007.

1. jackcregg

jackcregg Guest

Feb 25, 2007
    Is it just me or is the Clash's album London Calling a bit overrated???

I know it lacks musical ability its all about the "attitude" but to me it sounds like a bunch of snot nosed 20 year olds.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's just you.:smug:

3. +1

4. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Isn't being a snot nosed youngster the point of punk rock? That's why I fell in love with it in Grade 9...

5. +1 I fell in love with them about 8 years ago, and still love it when I put on one of their records. The sheer energy they had, and the attitude that they could, and in their minds would, change the world through their music makes them one of my favorite bands of all time. It also make Joe Strummer one of the most under-ratted musicians ever.

6. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    IMO SERIOUSLY overrated..

A couple of good songs...

7. Have you actually listened to the whole thing, all the way through?

I could see that comment about "snot nosed 20 year olds" regarding their first two albums, but definitely not "London Calling." That album represents a HUGE leap forward for that band, musically. There just weren't too many other bands at the time melding punk rock along with rockabilly, reggae, and other musical influences. It's not just another punk record...it's probably one of the most important rock albums of the last 30 years.

As you can probably tell, I'm a huge Clash fan, but I really think you need to re-listen to that album, the whole way through, at least once. I don't think I liked it a lot when I first got it, either, but it grew on me very quickly.

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The Clash have their place in the annals of Rock and Punk, and always will, so Overrated is subjective to the listener.

9. I do not really think any clash stuff is extremely fantastic, just easy to listen to. BUT the bassist does have incredible skill witch i believe is used more in the good the bad and the queen. And i am sure strummer and the rest can make music far superior but would that still be the clash?

10. Onebass

Onebass

Nov 6, 2005
    Lancs,UK

Joe Strummers music since he died is pretty bad ;) RIP Joe:crying:

11. The Clash arent over rated at all IMO

The Sex Pistols on the other hand, they were just gash IMO, same with the Ramones

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

It's overrated but so are many of the other "Top 100 Albums of all Time (or whatever similar list you might see).

Just listen to Pet Sounds as an example. I absolutely HATE the Beach Boys but Pet Sounds is an excellent album and I love playing the whole thing. IS it in the top 5 or 6 best albums ever made? Not even close IMO.

13. The Clash can not possibly be overrated. London Calling makes even Cut the Crap forgivable.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Clash are still around? I haven't heard a thing since "Rock the Casbah."

15. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    No, The Clash as everyone remembers them was basically done not long after Combat Rock (the album that had "Rock the Casbah" on it) came out. Topper Headon got booted out of the band shortly after they finished that album due to his worsening heroin addiction. Mick Jones and Joe Strummer weren't getting along terribly well by that point, and Jones got canned as well. There was one more Clash album after that (the aforementioned Cut the Crap), but aside from Strummer's vocals, much of the playing on that album was done by session musicians.

Joe Strummer died of an undiagnosed heart defect in 2002, effectively ending any hope for a Clash reunion. Just prior to that, he had been playing with his new band, The Mescaleros (the three albums he did with this band are really good, I definitely recommend them). Mick Jones even joined them on stage once during a benefit for striking firefighters for a couple of Clash songs.

16. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Ha, Paul Simonon doesnt have 'amazing' skills. I believe im just a tad technically better than him. But he wrote some great lines which drive the songs like London calling and Guns of brixton.

He does hav incredible presence and dance moves tho

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Overrated? You're joking?! I mean, the thing you have to take into account: They were the first band to sound like the Clash. You may consider what they've done generic, but that's probably because... well your profile age is blank, but I'm guessing you are youngish, if that's the case, you have to take INFLUENCE into account.

The Clash paved a lot of musical ground, some genre mashing that didn't exist in punk/rock in general. Take into account WHEN London Calling was released, then maybe rethink what you've said... or maybe not, it's all your opinion vs. others.

18. I was a HUGE Clash fan. It all started with my hearing Paul Simonon playing the bassline on the title track "London Calling". Damn! That guy can play bass! The great thumpy Fender Precisions were his axes of choice and he really played them with great power and accuracy.

I then did as we all do and go back into the catalog. I quickly realized that the 1st and 2nd albums were much better. Sure, "London Calling" has some great songs, but they were starting to push the limits away from what they did best, straight ahead punk rock. "Sandinista" was a further adventure into the Clash's "creative" side, but there was a lot of songs that I forced myself to like only because, after all, they were the only band that mattered. But, that wore off soon and I became very bored with the album. The next one, "Combat Rock", was a disappointment to say the least.

Do I think the Clash in over-rated? No. They certainly were an original band with original ideas and an original sound. Joe Strummer was an excellent frontman. I saw the band a few times live and Joe always connected with the audience. Mick Jones proved that lead guitar doesn't have to be complicated to be interesting. Paul Simonon was right up there with the best bass players of the punk/new wave movement (Bruce Thomas, Graham Maby, to name a couple). Topper Headon was a great drummer that brought much more than a simple 4/4 beat to the punk sound. Terry Chimes also was great on drums.

The eclectic nature of their later albums can be hard to follow. Instead of the machine gun hit of punk riffs like on the first self-title album and the 2nd "Give 'Em Enough Rope", the later albums drift into creativity to a point that can leave many cold.

Okay, flame away if you disagree...

19. On "Sandinista"...that was a three record album...six sides of music. There's a lot of stuff on there that, frankly, probably should not have been released, or at least reworked. That album was basically just the band going into a studio and being as experimental as possible. I recall reading an interview with Joe Strummer years later, where he said it probably should have just been a double album, or a single album, or even an EP. There's some real gems on there though, like "Up In Heaven", "Someone Got Murdered", "Police on My Back", "Hitsville UK", etc.

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love Sandinista. It's the Punk Rock "White Album", "Revolution 9" (Mensforth Hill) and all.

Every album by the original line up of The Clash is fantastic in my book.