The cliche I'm thinking about leaving thread

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Corbis, May 27, 2005.

1. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    This has been done countless times but it does feel good to get it out and have people read it that understand.

Lately I've been having serious thoughts about leaving. The guitarist is your typical guitarist and think that he's the only instrument playing. Whenever I make a part to one of his line he never listens to me and always ends up changing it contradicting mine. He also always has to be the forefront and never lets me play out. He also doesn't want to try new things and only wants 30-40 minute practices everyother day so he can do other things.

Whenever I ask for input on my parts or equipment they don't care. I recently got a new bass and a new cab and they didn't even mention anything about it. About a week ago we were trying to work up a song for some free studio time that we got and I asked for any comments on what I should do. The singer told me to do something I was already doing. I told him that I already do and I played it for him and he and the rest of the band said "oh we never pay attention."

The only thing is most of the time I really enjoy it but I feel like I shouldn't even bother lately since they've never listened to my parts or ideas and I'm not accomplishing what I want to musically.

We are planning on focusing on writing for the summer and have alreadying turned down around 5 gigs so we can get some new stuff. I have mentioned some of my feelings to the band. Should I hold off and try to get some of my ideas through in our new stuff or just quit now?

The problem I have is that their really aren't that many musicians in my area and I don't have a car to go to a bigger city.
  2. Okay, here's some advice for all you bassists: (I play bass, but my main instrument is keyboard)

If your band is not appreciating the presence of the bass, here's what you do. Don't show up (or if you're nice, you might just make a very last minute excuse), so they have to rehearse without you. I've had bass players not show up before, and trust me, it's not fun to play without a bass player.

Anyways, maybe that's not a really great idea, though, just so that they don't get under the impression that you're a flake.

But here's one thing: don't play with musicians like that. Even if there's no other musicians around that you know, don't play with people who are way beneath your level in musical maturity. There's gotta be other musicians around.

I also can't believe they turned down around 5 gigs! Summer is the time you gig, winter is the time you record, rehearse, and write songs. Why don't they know that?
  3. I'd say stick with, and try not to let it bother you too much. If they aren't listening to you, then go crazy! Pull out some wild tapping lines and poppin and stuff and have a good time.

Tis the bane of the bassist - standing in the shadow of the guitarist :rolleyes:
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That tells me right there that you're not playing with real musicians. I'm constantly listening to what my bandmates are playing both on stage and in practice. No matter what style of music you're playing, you have to listen to what's going on around you.
  5. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I wouldn't... at least until I made something better happen.

Corbis' post is pretty articulate and it is apparent that he ain't happy in that situation.

In the meantime, I'd search out something else that challenged me and try to create an opportunity for something better.
  6. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I would have to say this.. If you have a bassline, and the guitar player writes over it. Stop him and say look.. This is why I have been telling you to listen to what I am playing. You just made it sound horrible. If that doesn't crush his ego, aside from not being there for a day. Then I would say leave.
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Nuts to them. Drop 'em like a bad habit, jam when you can for the next couple years and try to get together a band of actual musicians, and then go to college near (or in) a decent sized city.
  8. kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    some people have big ego' songwriters...guitarist...etc....bass is often overlooked but when it's not there it is definitely's one of if not the most important instrument in the kind of links the guitars to the drums and vice versa....i'd say have a serious talk with them....they need to listen to what you play and yall need to work together...if they can't do that then you need to go elsewhere...then they will probably realize how stupid they were.....some people can be very controling...especially songwriters for bands...they want to dictate everything you do and not let you be free to express your own ideas and playing into songs and such....i say forget that crap.....that's not what being in a band is about...that's more like being a hired hand
  9. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I'd say that if they don't give a crap then you shouldn't either. Don't bother trying just stick to whole note roots and layback. Let them do all the work and when something better crops up just up and leave.

I think you should activley seek out something better but stick with the band for now because it may be better than nothing.
  10. If they've turned down 5 gigs just so they can write songs instead...I'd drop them like a hot potato. But then, I live for gigging....

It sounds like he/they are absorbed into the self-gratification bit of "pure artistic creation" and have no real desire to gig or make music with others, namely you.
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have an extremely dim opinion of any musicians in a band who are not listening to the others in the band and who do not know or "notice" what other members of the band are playing. They must be tiresomely into themselves as to be so unaware.

These guys (I assume they are guys) cannot be top notch musicians if all they care about is their own personal contribution to the music.

If they were accomplished musicians, true pros, they would be acutely aware of what other band members are doing. In addition, they would show appreciation to each other for being there, for showing up and for being reliable and valuable members of the band.

Next time you rehearse why don't you turn up your bass stack really loud so they have to hear you or turn it down so low they can't hear you and see what impact that has on their own performance?
  12. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Summertime is the time to gig? The bars are always slow around here in the summertime. Too many weddings, private parties, pig roasts, etc. when the weather's good. Bars hate to book many bands during the summer for this reason.

We have traditionally done better in spring or fall, or mild winter weather.
  13. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Summer has always been a good gigging time for us but I live in Iowa so winters are usually a pain with flash blizzards then the next day it's 70 so it's always a coin toss.

I know for a fact that one of my bands can play without bass but it sounds very thin. They had to last saturday because someone quit at my job and I had to pick up the slack. That isn't always going to show them if they don't pay attention to you anyhow. I say start lookin for a new gig because these guys aren't really going anywhere if they don't want to go perform.
  14. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Trying to work it out. That having been said, if it doesn't, take a seriouse look at the individuals and try to get a feeling of mutual understanding and some maturity. If you find it, grab the person and start anew.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  15. Those all sound like good prospects for getting a gig booked to me.

16. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Eh, we're a bar band. :D
  17. I gotta tell ya, working private parties is a heckuva lot better than bar gigs IMHO.

Better money, better environment, better money, nicer people, better money, usually knock off much earlier, better money, more relaxed atmosphere (usually), better money, free food (usually)....

And did I mention better money? :D :D
  18. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    i say write your own material, especially if they're not listening to your ideas. so when you do have an oppourtunity for input you can conduct the way the song is created for the most part (and they'll be impressed). if you don't use the song you can use it in the future with another band worth playing in that is somewhat rewarding to you, as well as the others.
  19. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Well I'm just going to stay with it we only have a year left of playing together since we're just a High School band, and I really don't want to have to start from scratch with a new band only for a year since I'm planning on moving away after high school.
  20. MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Ditch em.... NOW!

Even our singer (female) notices when even the drummer fudges up his lines.... I notice if she doesn't reach a note or goes wrong. Our guitarist immediatly gives me strange faces if I go wrong (YES, THE GUITARIST!)
    And I immediatly start glaring at both the guitarists if one of them sounds off or out of tune.
    Even the drummer notices if one of the others make mistakes.

Our entire play is built around listening to eachothers. (we usually struggle if one of the guitarists isn't around and cancel if singer/drummer/bassist(me) can't show)