The Climax: Cab Poll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steers b-c, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Aguilar GS412

9 vote(s)
  2. GK Neo 412

8 vote(s)
  3. Schroeder 21012 or 310212

21 vote(s)
  4. Avatar 410 and 212

14 vote(s)
  1. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    As noted in this thread, I'm in the market for a new cab that can withstand much pain and suffering. Before doing the poll, it might help to read the aforementioned post for an understanding as the the punishment involved. Thanks to your suggestions, I've narrowed it down to four potential options within striking distance of my budget ($1000): Aguilar GS412, GK Neo 412, Schroder 21012 or 310212, and the combination of two Avatar cabs, the 410 and 212. I've done a little pro and con analysis of each below, but I would greatly value your input. Tell me what I should buy and why!

Bass: Fender American Standard
    Amp: GK 1001 RB-II

--Aguilar GS412--
    Pro: A big cab designed for big demands. The combination of the 12s would likely address my issues in regards to the low end, and I doubt I could blow it to smithereens as I've done with my Ampeg 4x10 HLF. I also actually appreciate the size, a bonus considering that I often end up in situations where I lack sufficient PA support. Finally, the street price is just about perfect.

Con: I have no knowledge as to how these cabs handle the style of bass I play in my current band. Also I've seen comments suggesting that this cab leans quite heavily to the low end of things and may lack the punch and clairity I'm after.

--GK Neo412--
    Pro: Perhaps most obviously, this is the cab that matches my head. While I could care less about the looks element, I wonder if the bi-amping element involving the tweeter would be a real benefit. In all honesty, I'm not even sure I understand how that works. I know this cab has been used by many in a "heavier" context, so that is reassuring, and the slightly lower weight as a product of the Neo speakers wouldn't be a bad thing.

Con: First and foremost, price. This is, I was surpised to find, the most expensive option on the list. It looks like that I'd be in for over $1200 without a doubt. Also, I once again worry about the balance between punch and low end.

--Schroeder 21012 or 310212--
    Pro: Well, obviously I'm grouping two different cabs here, but the primary point remains the same: a huge percentage of the Talk Bass populace thinks these cabs are amazing. I actually am anticipating a landslide victory here, but we'll see. The lower weight is nice, and they appear built to survive the apocalypse.

Con: While I'm probably in the minority here, the small footprint actually worries me some. As mentioned before, I don't always have the kind of PA support that I'd prefer so I need to be able to blast the sucker so that I know what is going on. Also, there appears to be a bit of concern from some parties regarding a potential drop in midrange frequencies, a concern of great importance to me, particularly consider that we're likely adding a second guitar player.

Pro: The price. I could purchase this rig for far less than any of the individual cabinets mentioned above. I could use some of the extra money to buy some effects I've been GASing for. Also, they appear designed to the concerns of the working musician and I'd have the ability to split them up for portability.

Con: I'm guessing that, despite their high reviews, these cabs can't actually compete sonically with those above. If I'm going to shell out this kind of money, I want a cab that I'll be happy with for years to come. I worry that these, while certainly decent, wouldn't maintain that status.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and voting. If you have the time, please explain the reasoning for your choice. You guys have been a huge help and I appreciate it greatly!
  2. canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I am going to put my vote in for the gk neo 412.The reason for it is not only does it match the head you have,But i has a really good low end frequncy and handles 1200watts.If you want loud,smooth and punchy you got it.good luck in you search!!!
  3. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    If you can afford it, you might consider the Schroeders. I hear great things about them.

The Avatars have top-notch drivers and solid construction. I use them with $4000 basses, Read Custom Bass Purity tube pre, Stewart World 1.2 power. IOW, the Avvies may not be boutique but they are worthy. I will not upgrade until I can get something really top notch like Bergantino.

GK has yet to put a out a good cab that I have tried. But the new neos may be better. I have not tried but I doubt they are worth the price. I'd bet the Avatar sounds better.

The Aggie is comparable to the Avvie IMO and hence not worth the increase in price. I base this on a pair of GS112 Aguilar I compared to my Avatare pair of 1x12 cabs. Then there is the weight of that Aggie 4x12!... ouch!

It's Avatar for price or the Schroeder if you can afford it. The others' prices are not justified IMO.
  4. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Interesting comments, keep em coming! :) :)
  5. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Don't just vote. Give some useful comments. I can't believe you that voted for that GK cab have heard it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Having the same name plate as his amp on it is no reason to buy it.
  6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I voted avatar neo 410 as that is the cab I recently decided to get. I don't think that for the money, you can beat those cabs. The eminence neo speakers are the same used in many other companies models like genz benz and the like. They sound great.
  7. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I voted for the Schroeders because I have had great results with my 1210. I have not played the other cabs (or the specifics Schroeders you listed).
  8. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Wow, I'm shocked to see the Avatars doing so well. On the other hand, Schroeder is about right where I expected it. If anyone that has experience with both could tell me how big the distinction is, I'd really appreciate it. I want to know if it is REALLY worth the difference, because if so I'm up for it.
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Neither Schroeder listed is a 'small platform'.

I've been using a single 1212 for the past 7 months...for about a month I tried to use an Avatar SB112 with it, but the Avatar couldn't keep up. The Schroeder was killer loud and cleaner by itself! I've played more than a few outdoor shows without going through the PA and the amp has been able to keep up. The two bigger cabs you list shouldn't be a problem.
  10. canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I am sorry if i had afended anyone with my vote for the gk neo 412.Even though i may not of heard it yet i myself am looking at getting one and have been doing LOTS of resurch on it and have been talking to everyone that's has on about it weather it be from here or from the gk staff!!! I have been playing GK stuff for the last 7 years and am very happy with what they give me for sound! And according to the teck that i have been talking to at gk,That the neo 412 is even better sounding the what i am evenplaying right now.and that is not just from gk but from other people that play them as well!!!So from everthing i have heard it is an awsome cab.So I gave it my vote.Sorry if it made some of you mad,I am going to vote for somthing that i know is going to be good.and i don't have to here it to know it eather. that's all i have to say,I hope i have exsplanded myself and that everthing is cool:D Cheers!!!!:hyper: