The Clutch Thread

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Aug 2, 2005.

1. I know there are a good bit of Clutch fans here on TB, and there hasn't been too much talk about em, so I figured I'd start a thread. I am a big Clutch fan, They are my favorite "modern" band. I only own four albums: Clutch
    Blast Tyrant
    But thats only because their stuff is hard to find here in MS. I have a ****load of MP3s on my computer though.

Clutch has yet to put out a tune I don't like. Tim Sult always has cool and creative guitar lines. Gaster is an awesome drummer that makes an unbreakable groove. Dan Maines is a great bassist that can either make Sults lines 1000 times heavier or groove around JPG perfectly. And Neil Fallon is the coolest vocalist ever and writes some kickass lyrics. Also the new Keyboard player is pretty cool, isn't his name like Mick Schaurer or something?

I have some questions though. I have never seen Clutch live , I'd kill to though, so i'm wondering, with his avant garde vocal stylings , does Neil Fallon play guitar and sing at the same time ? I know he is credited with Rythmn guitar on the Album credits, but does he play live? I would think it would be very challenging considering the way he sings. And are they as kickass live as they are on the albums?

Feel free to post what you want about Clutch.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Neil is playing the wah git bit on Brazenhead, which is a live song, so I would say that he occasionally plays git.

Here is also a live pic of him with a guitar. [​IMG]
  3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Clutch is a badass band, I listen to them every morning on my way to work. Their southern metal rock style seems to go great with construction work :).
  4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Clutch puts on a killer live show. If you get a chance to see them, GO!! I prefer seeing them in a small club over a larger venue. It's a more intimate show at a club.

Other albums you might want to check out...

Clutch (self titled)

Transnational Speedway Leauge: Anthems, Anecdotes, and Undeniable Truths

Impetus (EP)

The thing I like about Clutch is that every disc is a little different.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Clutch's music speaks directly to my genitals.

6. Is that a good thing? :confused:
  7. Joey Dirtski here has gotten me hooked on them. What an awesome band. Just downloaded a live show (audio) I found last night. Killer stuff. The only album I own of theirs right now is Blast Tyrant which has to be my favorite so far of theirs (have like 5 or so others downloaded), killer album. I listen to Clutch 60% of the time that I spend listening to music each day. I love em.
  8. There simply is no band better, Clutch rocks harder and sounds better than any other band. Some people think that Neil's lyrics are "corny" but they have no imagination and lack intelect. As for Neil's guitar playing, I have to admit he has improved greatly over the past 12-15 years. Believe it or not he plays and sings on The Soapmakers live, he also plays on Elephant Riders, Brazenhead, Red Horse Rainbows, Regualtor and a few more that I can't think of right now.
    I have seen them play live about 5 times and they blew me away each time...

If any one wants live recordings of clutch shows I have lots that I would be able to send you. I have 2 shows from the spring of 2004 when they were doing the "Evening with Clutch" tour, they include the opening set from Bakerton Group (clutch minus Neil and Vocals) plus 2 sets of Clutch!! 6 hours of the greatest music ever recoded...and they sound 10 times better live than on their studio albums...You may be able to get "Live in Flint", which is also form the Evening with Clutch tour, but I think you can only purchase that through their websit

here is my list of shows, most re pretty good quality, some are only for hardcore fans, especially the videos.

demos from 2002-2003

video (VCD)

I leave you with this bit of knowledge

Went out the back of Halifax
    All the way to Virginia, Fairfax
    It wasn't weird enough
    So I went west to Oregon

All I, All I wonder
    While I run
    Is what's, is what's
    Next on my agenda

I made a ruckus with a succubus
    Before she knew I was amphibious
    She threw her hands up and started to scream
    "Man you look like your straight outta V."

All I, all I wonder
    While I run
    Is what's, is what's
    Next on my agenda

And so it was that I, a wayward throwback to the Mesozoic, was enslaved as a circus freak to entertain you drunken monkeys. But Fate still had her twisted sense of humor and she granted me safe passage to sunny Florida, where for over the past 300 years now I have been breeding with an unheard of efficiency. And soon my progeny will rise up and say "Hail Draco, king of the dragon men!"

I fashion my crown from Quetzlcoatl's quills
    Build my palace in the jungles of Brazil
    In the summertime come my children
    "For I hail Draco, king of dragon men!"
    I fashion my crown from Quetzlcoatl's quills
    Build my palace in the jungles of Brazil
    In the summertime come my children
    "For I hail Draco, king of dragon men!"
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I honestly never dug the Bakerton Group. Neil is a vital part to the Clutch sound and I just found the BG lacking.

I would be interested in some live shows though. Any great shows that must be heard? I would prefer board recordings.

Not really sure what I could trade you though.

10. Both the 04-22-04 and 04-24-04 are pretty good recordings, if you want i have no problem just sending you some copies, just PM me with your mailing address.
  11. Thanks for sharing that bassboysam! I used to have a whole live show that I downloaded, but I have seem to of lost it. If I can find it I'll throw it on my server for everyone to download if they want to.
  12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    It's funny you say this. I was at a show at a little club called "Club Babyhead" (RIP) where there were a few guys from a gang/group/(whatever) called the F.S.U. gang. which is an acronym for F*** S*** Up.

There was this one big bald guy in the gang that stood about 6'4, no neck, nothing but muscles, I mean HUGE!!! This guy was at just about every single Clutch show I've been too around here. Within minutes before the show started, he walked around looking for what people he was going to pulverize during the show.

As soon as the band hit the stage, this guy walked up to the front of the stage, crouched down and waited. As soon as the music started, he jumped up & mule kicked a guy right in the chest. From there he pushed off of the stage backwards, and preceded to pound the crap out of people in the pit.

Oddly enough, nobody did anything to stop this guy. But if you saw him, you probably wouldn't either.
  13. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    YES!!!! Someone posted a Clutch video the other day and I've been constantly playing it. Now...who can direct me to and if possible! PM me if hafta...whatever...give me Clutch!!!!!

some of the links seem to be down, but there are a few good ones
    on there.

Once in a while will have their videos working but it has been quite some time since any of those links have worked. I used to have all of them but lost them in a computer malfunction.
  15. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Amazing band...they just keep getting better too. I picked up the new album recently and I'm just blown away. I also highly reccomend seeing them live, they're awesome. I haven't seen them in awhile, last timewas 2 summers ago at Pearl St. in North Hampton, MA w/ Mastodon. One of the best live shows I've seen (both bands), and I've seen alot. :bassist:
  16. I am going to see them next month in Toronto and Montreal..I can't wait.
  17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Recently discovered these guys. Bought RH/E, figured I'd see if I liked it all before I bought anything else.

It has only left my truck CD player to go into my car CD player.

Any info on the bass? Older shots on the web site look like (forget the model) long scale Gibson EB-something. Is the one in the Burning Beard video a customized Gibson, custom, or a model I've never seen? Looks very well done, if customized. The pickguard looks like it might be covering the hole where that honkin big pickup jammed up against the neck usually is, if it was removed. Never seen a Gidson bass with those inlays either. SO much better than dots. Modern looking black bridge, either a silver covered pickup or just something covering another hole up near the bridge, looks a little larger than a guitar Humbucker. A black soapbar near it. Can't tell much else, but there are 3 knobs in a Jazz like configuration and 2 little switches near the bridge.

It's the best looking bass I've ever seen in this body style.
  18. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    dang, I was at the same show!!

Jam Room's my favorite....