1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The colorblind bassists

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cheesemonkey, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hey i was just wondering if there were any other colorblind bassists here on talkbass

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Partially colorblind in one eye... but as long as I'm not wearing an eye patch I can tell the difference.

3. I took one of those colorblindness tests in Jr. High. I only got 9 out of 20 right. Thanks, Mom. :spit:

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Dunno about TBer's, but Duff McKeagan is.

5. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    two people in my chemistry class are colour-blind.

i found it mildly amusing that our (very attractive) teacher did the entire years notes on powerpoint in colours that neither pupils could see at all.

for our practical exam, I had to sneakily do both of their titrations for them because they couldn't determine the point at which the colours chanaged. :rollno: :smug:

6. do yah know what type of colorblindness i have?

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    When red is green and green is grey. You've failed the test in column A.

Like me guess cheese, you only see the color yellow.

8. I'm legally blind without my glasses, does that count?

:D

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Only if being partially colorblind in one eye increases your ability to read minds...

10. I majored in Chemistry in college. Being colorblind, I had a really hard time with titrations as well.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Being colorblind doesn't typically mean you can't see color at all.

I'm mildly colorblind and it once kept me from working in the production area of the computer company I worked for in college.

I can tell wire colors apart though.

bc

12. I agree. I'm mildly red green colorblind, which basically boils down to having less red receptors in my eyes, so red isn't as red/strong as it would be for other people(I suppose)

In general there's no real impact on my life, traffic lights are clearly red or green, for example. However, there are some cases, like red laser pointers in presentations, small red text in a document full of black text(especially on computer screens), or distinguishing various shades of purple and blue, when color differences aren't always clear. I don't often find myself having the need to do titrations, so I can't really comment on that :)

If you ever look at how products are designed, they usually won't rely solely on color as an indicator of status. For example, traffic lights use color, but they also have the different lights in different positions. Many programs will show errors in red, but there will also be some other indicator, like a big "X" as well.

There are actually a few websites around that have images or simulations of what things look like for people with different types of color blindness. Here's one: http://www.vischeck.com/examples/

Dan

13. i think you are deuteranopic can you see anything besides a grey box in this:

[​IMG]

14. Nope. There are much cooler ones than that though. You can actually create images in which color blind people of a certain type see something and normal people see something else, rather than the traditional "normal people see a sailboat, color-blind people see nothing" test.

These are sometimes used when testing kids, since kids like to be different/difficult and are more likely to say they see nothing in order to stand out.

Edit: Here's a neat one:
    colorblind_test.

What do you see, and how hard is it for you to see it?

Dan

15. I see a "6" (bottom a little easier to see than top) but I'm colorblind as hell.

16. I see the same thing as him (a 6 with the bottom being a little hard to read and the top being very hard), and to my knowledge, I am not colorblind at all.

:meh:

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I often have discussions with people about the distinction between yellow vs orange and purple vs brown.

18. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I took a second look when I read there was a 6 and I can barely make out the top outer edge; almost looks like it's supposed to be a circle

19. EddieN

EddieN

Mar 21, 2007
    Colorblind here but I saw the 6. I fail the hell outta those dots-in-a-circle tests.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm legally blind with my glasses still on.
    Pwned!!!

Oh wait, that's not a good contest to win.....:(