1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The colorblind bassists

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cheesemonkey, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am terribly color blind...out of the test book...I got 2 right.

Mike

2. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    Me

3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I know a couple of colorblind people. Actually, I think my grandfather was colorblind (he died before I was born), so maybe I'm still carrying the gene for it.

A friend of mine pointed out his colorblindness to me one day while we were on the bus. It just finished raining and he pointed to a rainbow and asked me how many colors I could see. I said like, seven or eight, however many are in them. He said he could only see like four. I make fun of him for it.

Also someone else I know apparently can't see any colors at all. Does that actually happen, and what's the name for it?

4. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Post more tests please! They are fun. I barely made out the 6, it's harder on the top half acctually. Though I'm not colourblind.

5. Interesting. While I can see a "6" fairly easily on my home monitor, on my monitor at work it's much more difficult. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised about it if the color profiles for the two monitors are different.

6. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    i had just completed an application that i developed for EMT's in the field. Whenever they'd go on a call they take a toughbook laptop with them and enter in a bunch of data pertaining to the type of run they were on.

Various agencies had different requirements for what fields were required, ... originally we had setup the application to use a shade of yellow as an indicator that the field was required. We also had a status indicator for each group of fields that switched from red to green when they were completed with those fields.

Before we went to production we beta tested this at one of their clients ..

first client had a color blind user so we had to change the indicators as well as add dark borders around the required fields.

7. What type of colorblindness?

I'm red-green deficient, which is a very common affliction in males (somewhere between 5-10% of males, only .1% of females).

Other types of colorblindness are significantly less common.

A test:

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html

8. I see a box with a red to purple gradient... is there supposed to be some sort of picture, number, or discernible object there?

9. blueskid

blueskid

Sep 11, 2006
    washington, dc
    apparently there is, but i can't for the life of me find one. i thought it was just me...

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This kinda stuff actually drives me crazy. What is in there that I should be seeing besides a gray box?

bc

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Either 44 or 49 in green dots.

12. There is a "6" in the middle of the box. I can make out the 6 fairly well, although the upper right hand side is very faint.

I have friends who aren't color blind who can also see the "6", so I don't think it's necessarily a great test. Perhaps people with better color perception may have more trouble perceiving the "6" than those with poorer color perception.

I did a little more searching, and found the site that the image is originally from: http://www.cs.unm.edu/~aaron/creative/colorTest.htm

The suggested explanation for how this works is that people with red-green color blindness have poorer color perception, but better perception of differences in brightness. Basically, since the brain is receiving less color information, it can make out changes in brightness better(since brightness information arrives on a separate channel from the color information). I don't know how biologically accurate that one is, though.

Dan

13. I thought it might be interesting to play around with these images in an image manipulation program. Since the article above mentioned that the Gradient/6 image uses differences in brightness to hide the "6", I converted the image to a greyscale where the shade of gray used is based on the brightness in the original image, and this is what came out. It's not quite as clear the original image, but it's kinda neat to see what's actually causing the effect.

Dan

Attached Files:

14. I can see the six in that one, but not in the other one. The gray box one I see green, red and purple spots all over it. I am not colour blind, but my monitor sucks.

lowsound

15. Color5-2.
    This one is cool, if you have normal colour perception you see a 5, if you have a red/green blindness you see a 2. I can see both, weird?

lowsound

16. Please excuse my torrent of posts. For those people(myself included) who can't see anything in the grey box image, I've attached a modified version that might help. In this one, I replaced a range of input colors( those similar to #85C4C0, for those interested), with a darker shade of red.

What is probably happening in the original image is that the shades of grey that make up the "49" are very close, especially where red is concenred, to the greys that make up the rest of the image. As a result, people who have trouble distinguishing reds will not be able to tell the "49" apart from the rest of the image. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dan

Attached Files:

17. I had never actually noticed that it was a 49 in that box, but i can see it. There is also a lot of green in that picture, so that was throwing me off.

lowsound

18. ...and I see neither - yet I am red-green deficient.