Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Company Coffee

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Nov 30, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

At our Real Estate office, it's average at best. I hate it when the coffee gets cooked in the pot. If it's not consumed within the first 20 minutes of brewing, it's no good.

How is the coffee that is brewed at your workplace?

2. We have the "cory" brand for our work's coffee service. If it's fresh, it's decent...yeah, anything past a half hour, and I swear you can taste the blue stuff they clean the decanters with. ;)

We have a few dominican guys here at work who like really REALLY strong coffee, and if they get the chance to make it (early birds...must be the caffeine) they make 2 pouches in one batch. Hella nasty.

I tell them to just get instand espresso, as they are ruining perfectly good coffee. Always is my opinion met with "feh".

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love good coffee. I don't even bother to try the stuff here at the school. I grind and brew my own at home before work and I don't drink coffee during the day...don't want to become a caffeine addict.

Just in general I don't usually drink coffee that's been sitting on a burner for more than 20 or 30 minutes anywhere. When I was at my sister-in-law's house last Christmas they thought I was nuts or something for that... She also got visibly angry when my wife told her that I don't like flavored coffee. It probably bugged her even more when she found out that I brought my own coffee.

brad cook

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i make coffee at home. at the office - we don't have a machine, nor do i want any nutcase pissing in it

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Everyone's using hella now, wow.

I make tea, coffee makes me sick unless it's perfectly brewed.

6. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I don't have a workplace right now, but i spend most of my time at college, and the only coffee availible there is from one of those vending machines. It's horrible. I like my coffee black, and very strong. The coffee out of the machine is wek and watery. When I make coffee with the coffee maker I use at least 3 scoops. It's great to see the faces of my family when I'm the first one up and I make the coffee. They get pretty wide eyed with the first drink :)

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

For home consumption, I buy flavoured (that spelling is for you "blokes') beans, and brew coffee at home.

I have even managed to get my wife hooked on coffee.

Oh Yeah! "Hella" should die (hijacks own thread).

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Why people have to go and add flavoring to a perfectly good beverage is beyond me. That's like being handed the nectar of the gods and then asking for some sugar packets.

brad cook

9. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i drink Illy espresso in the morning, a good slap in the face to wake up. on the job i drink 1 or 2 regular (strong) coffee. i've heard about US coffee that it tastes like....mmmmhh, water.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    +1

I buy locally roasted coffee. Shelburne Falls coffee, to be exact. when I worked for a company, I brought a thermos of my home coffee, now that I work for myself, it's no change. OTOH, I'm not too much of a coffee snob... if Dunkin Donuts is the only coffee there, I'll drink it, I'd just rather have the good stuff.

Josh's coffee = strong and black.

cosmodrone, we have real coffee now, same as beer. It's not all bud and maxwell house.

11. Jeebus H. Christmas... the ONE time I use "hella" and everyone takes the piss-out-of-me. :spit:

;)

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've only had Dunkin Donuts coffee once and it was far better than anything I've ever had at the workplace. It was also far better than any coffee I've had from any other fast food place.

brad cook

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just depends on where you get it and how it's brewed.

brad cook

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Work made me into a coffee drinker. Specifically, one job did. From 1986 to 1987 I worked in the engineering department at WHCT-TV (channel 18), an independent UHF TV station in Hartford, Connecticut.

It seems that after spending millions to build the station, the owners had little money left to buy decent programming. My workday started at 7 A.M., and having to keep an eye on really low-grade (even by commercial TV standards) TV programming that early in the morning was like having a job counting sheep and drinking warm milk. So that started my regular caffeine habit.

One morning I came in suffering from a cold and went straight to the lunch room to get some hot coffee. With my nasal congestion I couldn't detect the burned smell in the air, and I poured some coffee into a styrofoam cup. The overnight guys had apparently left the pot on the heater all night, and I didn't realize that until I poured some milk into my cuppa joe and the coffee didn't even change color. Eww. 20W-50 coffee. No thanks.

The office coffee here at QSC isn't too bad, but I'll only drink it with milk, half & half, or cream; it's not good enough to drink black. I don't like non-dairy creamer; they always leave a gooey feeling and aftertaste in my mouth, especially the powder. Disneyland uses non-dairy creamer powder as fuel for the fire-breathing dragon in its "Phantasmic" show, and I think that's a more valid application for the vile stuff.

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Dunkin' Donuts' coffee is pretty good, IMHO. So is Tim Horton's.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The coffee here sucks. There are two coffee rooms on each of our three floors. You can't find good coffee in any of them. It starts with people buying the cheapest possible ground coffee, and then add in incompetent fools who have no idea what they are doing. So, you end up with pots and pots of nasty coffee all over the building. What is really strange is that people gulp it down ALL day. When I go home at 4PM, I still see people drinking it.

What sucks is that it smells good. I often find myself getting caught up in the "well, maybe it tastes good today since it smells so good". Nope, I'm wrong everytime.

It doesn't help that my wife and I take our coffee very seriously. Very seriously. As seriously as some of you guys take your basses.

-Mike

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    big handful of non-dairy creamer + campfire = big fireball. I found that out as a kid. --Scared the crap out of a few of my friends.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    SUCKER!!!!

:D

;)

19. HA! Nice...a 2-fer!

Hey, as with Eric C, if it's good enuff for No Doubt, it's good enough for me.

double ;)

20. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Not sure about the brand of coffee here at work. It'll do in a pinch. My preference is a grande triple latte from Starbucks. Although it's an expensive drink...taste wise, it can't be beat IMHO.

Nothing like flyin' through the day on a triple shot of espresso. Yeeeeaahhhh!