Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The-Compressor-Sustainer-Thing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by otnemeM, Nov 8, 2002.

1. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    the situation is this
    i'm begining to incorporate tapping in my approach to bass playing (for those interested it's in the Symphony X/Dream Theater line)
    and , I admit , i'm not a "Stu Hamm"-kind-of-pro that gets all notes with the same volume. In addition i have to be lots of time following the double drum bass pedal, and you know that after 2 hours of this, the 3 magic fingers get to be a LITTLE BIT TIRED and not all of the "sixteenth notes" sound perfectly alike.
    So, I guess that (part of) solution for this is some kind of a "Compressor-Limiter" system (and lots of practicing, yeah I know).
    I guess the "rack-kind-of-thing" portion of these sys. are very expensive and i know that's available on the market stuff like "Boss's CS-3" and "Carl Martin's Compressor/Limiter" among others that I miss.

and the question is:

what do YOU think that in this case would be recomended?

p.s- I don't use any distortion, drive or whatever, just clean, and I want to keep it that way.
    p.s.1- don't give me the "forget the pedals and go practice" talk. LoL ... that part I got covered :p

2. Skip the pedals.

Stereo Rack Mount Compressors are super inexpensive these days. The Carl Martin and Boss Pedals are actually MORE expensive then some rack mount Compressors.

Check out:

Alesis 3630 - $99
    Alesis NanoCompressor - $59
    Art Levelar - $80
    Behringer MDX 1400 Autocom Pro - $69
    Behringer MDX 1600 Autocom Pro-XL - $89
    Behringer MDX 2200 Composer Pro - $89
    Behringer MDX 2600 Composer Pro XL - $110
    dbx 266XL - $150
    Samson S-Com - $150
    FMR RNC 1773 - $180
    Nady Stereo Compressor - $99

3. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    hummm, that Alesis word really rings my bell! I can get huge discounts on that babies. Do you think they'd do the trick on this particular case?

4. Yup.

5. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    I prefer the presonus bluemax, actually, but they are 1/2 rack spacing.

6. tinfoil

tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    Canada
    The alesis is nice, but I still use my BOSS CL-50 half rack unit. I had a machinist at work do me up an adapter to make it rack-mountable, but it's easy to do.