Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Conklin 7 String (the $1100 one)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Player, Jan 5, 2000.

1. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I heard Cort had something to do with these. I played one and was surprized at how nice it played. I had antacipated it being bulky and clunky, but it was rather smooth and easy to play. I'm not sure I can justify 7 strings, 5 seems to be as many as I need (or can cope with). (It is cool for playing classical guitar pieces though). I doubt I'll actually by one (My wife always makes me clean out some old toys before I can get new ones), but I'd like to hear if anyone plays one on a regular basis or any opinions about how useful those extra strings might be.

------------------
    Paul

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Paul --

The lower-priced Conklin line is called "Groove Tools". I played one the other day at a music store. I really dug the playability (I do already play 6's); the action is really amazingly low. I was getting some nice tapping tones out of it, something my Carvin doesn't do anywhere near as easily (though I haven't really tried so that may be unfair).

Being a former (although reformed) guitar player, I've been thinking about getting into chords lately but havn't been able to find a chord book. I retuned the top two strings of the Conklin to B and E, and was able to play guitar chords straight up. A 7-string guitar, down an octave. This would solve my dilemma and avoid having to learn, at my age, "new tricks". The other available facet of this bass is, of course, high-register soloing.

If you don't do either of hese things too much, then it might not do you that much good. (And it'll be hard as hell to sell off.)

In any event, the budget request will NOT be signed off by my chief financial officer/roommate... If you can afford it, though, I think it's certainly worth considering.

3. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Ed. No luck with searches under Lord Only..any other suggestions?

------------------
    Paul

4. I own and play the Conklin GT7 seven string bass. They are Mik (Made in Korea) I love my GT7 although it is a bit like playing an ironing board. I have two Carvin Basses and am still trying to get used to the narrow string spacing. With the Conklin My playing has improved, Love the sound of the Bartolini pickups. I currently am working on lead and chord playing but it is still a bass when you need a bass. Well back to the Abersold and the Omnibook.

------------------
    Carl

5. *lump*

*lump*

Jan 3, 2000
    Carl,

When you played in the Navy, did you play tuba or string bass? If tuba, did you ever know a Navy player by the name of Steve Klein? He was my tuba teacher at Long Beach State back in the early '80s, and I know he played in the Navy in the '70s. I guess he'd be about 10 years younger than you.
    I still play in our local AF ceremonial band, but barely enough to keep my chops up.
    I think we've got a few other brass doghouse players here as well. Haven't seen any horns with seven valves yet though...

6. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    See if Turner has one.

7. *lump*

*lump*

Jan 3, 2000
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I almost fell out of my chair...

8. Lump:
    Sorry for the late answer. When I was in the Navy in the 1950's they required you to play both tuba and string bass, but they would teach you one of them. When I wen't in I played E flat tuba when I came out I played BB flat tuba and Baritone horn. I was in the Navy 20 years before your friend. String Bass was my main instrument. when I enlisted.

------------------
    Carl

[This message has been edited by bassdude (edited January 13, 2000).]

9. *lump*

*lump*

Jan 3, 2000
    Hey, we're back on line. I was starting to seriously consider getting a life.

Carl,

Yeah, I knew it was a long shot, but you never know--small world out there. I never played Eb myself, but I wish I still had the C horn I played in college (even though it only had five valves...).

10. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    'Dja ever play one of those Bessons with the "back door" 4th valve? They let me use one in the frosh/soph band my senior year of high school. I had no idea how weird it was until I never saw another one again...

11. Thought it might be fun to dig up this artifact.

Who is this "Jon Turner" guy anyhow?? :D

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee

:D

still looking for a 7 valve tuba. :D

13. Sorry John but they are only up to 5 valves on tubas. I may be wrong, if so lump can correct me. Since I only look for 3 or 4 valve horns and my horn only has 3 valves. The extra valves improve playing in tune and will allow you to play notes below the lowest note and the pedal tones.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i used to play trumpet - the ole' 3 valver. i was watching a holiday program the other night, and i saw a few guys playing what looked like a 4 valve trumpet, with a valve for the left ring finger. looked interesting - never saw one of them before.

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Watch out world JT is gonna get a Custom 7 or 8 Valve Trumpet :D

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yikes! my lips are all mushy now - i couldn't play a 1 valve trumpet.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's pretty humbling to try to play a trumpet after a long layoff. In my case, a loooooong layoff:D

18. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    OK JT and Brad, you made me do it. I got out my Olds Ambassador trumpet and almost blew my brains out. Talk about lost chops...GEEEEEEZZZZZ

19. Not only could I not play anything higher than E above middle C, I couldn't play much of anything LOWER than a low C! pffffffffff....

Needless to say I plugged in my bass and everything was back to normal. :D

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i bet i couldn't make any recognizable notes on my trumpet.