Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Conklin G.T. 7 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gustat, Jul 6, 2000.

1. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    I played it and loved it! But here's my question...

Does anyone currently have one in their arsenal? How often do you play it?

any warnings?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Look for John Turner to step in here any moment [​IMG]

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, i don't have a gt7, i just have some custom models. all of them are 7 or 8 string, though so i guess i can offer some comments.

uh, i only play 7 and 8 string, and have done so for about 7 years, so i just accept the instruments as they are, i don't have any warnings, other than the usual caveats that you like the sound, you like the way it feels, you try it out with your rig, etc.

the only other suggestion i would make is that if you intend on going to 6 or 7 string, make the jump completely. i went from 4 to 7 in '93, and i have never gone back, and i don't intend to. (4 strings feel like those big, fat crayons that you would use in 1st grade to me now [​IMG] )

if i had tried to double, my playing on both would've suffered, it would've taken me longer to get profficient on 7. after all, the original 4 strings are on a 7 anyway, i've been able to do everything on my 7 that i could on a 4, and a whole lot more.

so, if you wanna go 7, you'll improve more quickly if you dump the 4, that's my advice, from my experience.

hey carl/bassdude? where are ya?

------------------
    john

"Bad Muttluk, No Anuses!!" - our own lil'biski

[This message has been edited by john turner (edited July 06, 2000).]

4. loudfunk

loudfunk

Jul 16, 2000
    I got a Conklin 7 while in the process of ordering a 8 string arch top guitar...yeah...I'm a guitar player [​IMG]
    but to my defense I ahve to say I used to study cello [​IMG]

Anyway...I came to bass by first discarding the pick (on guitar), then switching to fretless guitar. Which was a lot of fun in my trio with the bassist playing fretless as well. And then fretless bass. I haven't touched any of my other stuff since getting the Conklin, other than recording a bit that needed guitr. And then I ended up tuning the plank in 4th like the bass.
    I think this is the coolest instrument I played yet. In terms of concept.
    I'm thinking of getting the 8 string Basstar instead of that plank I was gonna get.
    Also have a Baritone fretless 7 string with extended board from vigier on order.

Now if I only had the keys to John Turners studio [​IMG]

Ed http://www.geocities.com/~nudeguitars

------------------
    Nothing in music is difficult...only unfamiliar.-Ken Werner

5. I love my GT7 This bass and an upright is all I need.

------------------
    Carl

6. hell_awaits

hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john turner:
    (4 strings feel like those big, fat crayons that you would use in 1st grade to me now [​IMG] )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMFAO!!!!!!!!

I feel so.....mundane.

7. loudfunk

loudfunk

Jul 16, 2000
    And speaking of stuff that feels odd...
    after playing the Conklin 7 for a bit and then either picking up a 4, or a guitar is like grabbing a kid's toy. I look at my hand and I'm thinking I have a Uke.

Ed http://www.geocities.com/~nudeguitars

------------------

8. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Honestly, after playing (mere) 6's exclusively for 6 years, anything with fewer strings on it just seems... incomplete. Sad, really -- even looking at a beautiful old early 80's Alembic or some such treasure, all I can think anymore is, what a shame it only has 4 strings.

------------------
    * eli@ilovefretless.com*

9. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    About the conklins: I have a 7 string, and I like it alot, but I did change the pickups and the electronics.

but I'm a 4 string addict. I mean, to me those extra 3 strings are just.. well something to have fun with but nothing serious. 7 string is absolutely more versatile than a standard 4 and no one can deny that, but I'd never go 6/7/8 string all the way. They just don't have that "I'm a dumbass-bassist-who-carries-all-the-equipment" vibe [​IMG]

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm with eli, i do look sadly at many instruments, wishing they were more "strung up" so to speak.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey loudfunk

too bad you weren't in atlanta, you could get the studio tour [​IMG]

------------------
    "John Turner. What can I say. A monster bassist with a monster bass and a monster mullet. When are we jamming next, John? Mama's going to get a new perm at her sister's on Tuesday. My mash should be perkin pretty good by then. Woo ha! Bring your own jug this time." - Bocephus
    on http://www.marginx.com/bunnybass/

12. My bass teacher, Eddie Pruitt, is an endorsee for Conklin guitars, so he has a Conklin 7-string that was custom made for him (its made out of something called zebra wood or something) and he let me play it during lessons, it was so awesome. The gt-7 is pretty cool too.

13. i got a few questions about conklins.

1. where do the original 4 strings lie on the 7 string?

2. how do you tune a 7 string? is it all ear or do you have a special tuner or what?

3. does it hurt your back at all?

------------------
    "To be good and powerful, be corrupt and really good at math" --Big Wheel

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey jr.
    1. it depends on how one tunes them. my main tuning is b-E-A-D-G-b-e, where the capitalized strings are the "original 4". i also have 7's tuned f#-b-E-A-D-G-c, E-A-D-G-c-e-a, and my 8 strings are tuned f#-b-E-A-D-G-b-e, all of which where the capitals are the "original 4" strings.

2. as for a tuner, i use a korg dtr-1, and it does really well. it's a bit expensive, but not really a "special" tuner, just a good one.

3. the heaviest bass i have is obviously the doubleneck. it weighs about 30 pounds. i guess i am just a strong guy - i do 1/2 of every gig with it. my single neck basses all are probably around 12-15 pounds. in my eyes, all other things being equal, greater mass = better tone, and there's really no other way around it. can't fake mass.

my back doesn't really hurt or get sore much - we'll see how i'm doing when i'm 40. [​IMG]

------------------
    you wanna see a frustrated guitarist? let a guitarist try to do something useful on one of my basses. _THAT'S_ a frustrated guitarist.

[This message has been edited by john turner (edited July 19, 2000).]

15. loudfunk

loudfunk

Jul 16, 2000
    I tune mine in fourth from B to F...and actually am tuning my guitars the same these days except the B.

John, I'll gladly use your basses and show you a frustated plank spanker trying to do somrthing useful [​IMG]
    As for tuners..I use Korg DT the one for the Feiten system because of my Suhrs.

Ed

------------------

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ok, first up is my 8 string unlined fretless. [​IMG]

what do you think of the buzz feiten tuning system? i've heard a lot about of, uh, "buzz" (hee hee) about it, but i don't really understand what's going on. care to enlighten?

thanks.

------------------
    you wanna see a frustrated guitarist? let a guitarist try to do something useful on one of my basses. _THAT'S_ a frustrated guitarist.

17. loudfunk

loudfunk

Jul 16, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john turner:
    ok, first up is my 8 string unlined fretless. [​IMG]

what do you think of the buzz feiten tuning system? i've heard a lot about of, uh, "buzz" (hee hee) about it, but i don't really understand what's going on. care to enlighten?

thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    bring it on... [​IMG] I'm actually thinking about having Bill make me 9er.
    As for unlines fretless...i think I would be alright,since both the Steinberger 4, the Zon I like to borrow and my Vigier fretless guitar/piccolo6 (pick what you wanna call it) are unlined. And i used do mangle a cello.
    go here for some aural suffering [​IMG] http://www.geocities.com/~nudeguitars/
    and click on get to the music.

As for the feiten system...well the nut gets moved closer to toward the bridge and the stringlength gets compensated...it's basically a stretch tuning so chords are better in tune. So there's no having to bend a third sharp, after being in tune with fourth. rather like a fretless where you decide the intonation.
    I really dug it when working with keys. I also like it when using chord inversions on planks that have the feiten and use another inversion with planks that do have it.
    Bottomline I prefer it to the standard system...but when everything is said and done...fretless is where it's at.

on a completely different note...i think it's funny that you tune your 7 like a guitar on the top 2 strings...and that i as a plank spanker like it so much I tune my guitars now in fourth...weird world ain't it.
    Ed

------------------

18. ok now i have a huge obsession with conklins. man i want a conklin! one day when i get good enough and i get the money i think ill get a conklin. Does conklin have a website? if so someone show it to me! man conklins are so cool!

now im an offical john turner wannabe [​IMG]

------------------
    "To be good and powerful, be corrupt and really good at math" --Big Wheel

[This message has been edited by jrthebassguy (edited July 19, 2000).]

19. loudfunk

loudfunk

Jul 16, 2000
    here ya go... http://conklinguitars.com

Ed...yet another JT in the making [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by loudfunk (edited July 19, 2000).]

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loudfunk:

bring it on... [​IMG] I'm actually thinking about having Bill make me 9er.
    As for unlines fretless...i think I would be alright,since both the Steinberger 4, the Zon I like to borrow and my Vigier fretless guitar/piccolo6 (pick what you wanna call it) are unlined. And i used do mangle a cello.
    go here for some aural suffering [​IMG] http://www.geocities.com/~nudeguitars/
    and click on get to the music.

cool! [​IMG] too bad you live on the exact opposite side of the country, i would dig jamming with ya'. i always wanted to play with adrian belew [​IMG]. seriously, i really like the stuff you're doing alot. any other recordings?

As for the feiten system...well the nut gets moved closer to toward the bridge and the stringlength gets compensated...it's basically a stretch tuning so chords are better in tune. So there's no having to bend a third sharp, after being in tune with fourth. rather like a fretless where you decide the intonation.
    I really dug it when working with keys. I also like it when using chord inversions on planks that have the feiten and use another inversion with planks that do have it.
    Bottomline I prefer it to the standard system...but when everything is said and done...fretless is where it's at.

on a completely different note...i think it's funny that you tune your 7 like a guitar on the top 2 strings...and that i as a plank spanker like it so much I tune my guitars now in fourth...weird world ain't it.
    Ed
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, that comes from when i first went to 7 (unlined fretless - dove right in [​IMG] ) from 4, 7 years ago. i was able to figure the low B pretty easy, but i really couldn't get a handle on what to do with the two top ones, so i figured 43 bazillion guitarists couldn't be completely wrong, right? and then it just stuck. sometimes i do the straight 4ths thing, sometimes it fits better with what i'm doing. most of the time, though it's the "weirdo" guitar tuning.

so what's up with your tuning - why do you go straight 4's like that? or are you just a frustrated bassist? [​IMG]

btw, thanks for the heads up re: buzz feiten.

------------------