Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The cord thingy that many do

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brock385, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Brock385

Brock385

Nov 5, 2000
    i don't know if the title makes sense or not..
    when i see bassists in tv or on videos they often have their cord kinda looped out of the way, onto the side. how would one do this?

2. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Well, just pass the cord in between the strap and bass before plugging up. Then when you plug in, you can pull the cord back and the strap (if tight enough to the bass when standing) will hold the cord in this position. If that's what you're talking about, cool. If not, I tried. :D

Jay

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    You explained it fine, Jay. Of course, the reason for doing this is not to look cool, but to keep from ripping your cord out when you step on it. I hate when that happens!!
    Doc

4. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Thanks :) I hate that too!! It's especially bad playing a gig and having everything up real loud when you rip it out. I always do it, whether I'm playing somewhere or just noodlin' around at home. Mine's real easy to rip out too, it's at an angle going into my bass. Really neat though cuz it never sticks out. Peace.

Jay

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Another reason is to save wear and tear on the jack itself inside the bass. If the cable is not supported by the strap, not only do you run the danger of pulling the cable out if you step on it, the constant movement of the cable can cause the jack to loosen or wear out. Then you have to replace the darn thing. Having the cable strung through the strap loop keeps the cable from moving around inside the bass as much.

Jason Oldsted

6. Has anyone ever ripped out the cord while its looped in the strap?? I just want to know if I'm not the only one! :p hehe its happened a few times when i jump etc. just hear the thump as the cord is yanked out. Hell i've ripped the end off. lol

Thats bad isn't it?? Oh well, its all fun and games until you become famous and your manager takes the 15% you're supposed to get.....

Merls