Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the cort curbow 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AssMan, Mar 26, 2001.

1. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm posting this thred again because it keeps getting deleted. What is your opinion of the Cort curbow 5-sting? Also The cort vs. MTD kingston 5 vs. Ibanez BTB 405QM, which is the best?

2. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    anyone going to answer?

3. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I am,

I wanted a 5 string frettless, and after looking around it all came down to curbow5 and the Yamaha TRB5FII(a lot more expensive). I read a lot of good things about the cort curbow, a great bass for the price etc.

The only thing I read that was against it was: hard to play sitting down, the luthite compound(not wood) body smells and is gushi, that the mighty pickups weren't that hot.

I think its a great bass for a beginer, nothing in this price range can touch it. also good if you need a 5 sting on a budget

At the end I settled for the Yamaha but that is a different story. I am no beginer and I wanted it to be my main axe, I didnt trust the luthite because I often have my bass adjusted and wasnt sure of how pro luthiers would react to this compound stuff.

Advice: Go to the store and try it out, for that price you can't go wrong

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    How Pro-Luthiers would react to set Up a luthite bass?
    I have never had to adjust "THE BODY" of the bass.
    The neck is made of hard rock maple and has a truss rod, it has a good Brass bridge, so I dont think a Luthier would react strangely.

Anyway. The Cort Curbow is a great bass. I dont like the Mighty Mite pickup it comes with.
    I have 2 Cort Curbows. (a 6 and a 5 Fretless, both with Bartolini´s) and play/sound just great.
    You know.. I actually like the smell of the luthite, but its a shame it doest smell all the time(LOL). In fact it only smells like that when new, until all the luthite dust leaves the pickup cavity.

I play it sitting down with some casual slips, and feels neck heavy, but its ok. With a strap, it is another story, it feels very comfortable with a little neck dive on the 6 string due to dual truss rods. The 5 string its fine, in fact it is VERY comfortable to play.

If you need anything more, please ask.

5. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Did the 5 come with a bartolini, or did you put it in there? Also If you put the bartolini there, what model of pick-up is it?

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, I bought the 5 String Fretless from Greg Curbow, so I asked him to install a Bartolini QuadCoil with a 3 position switch, also ordered the custom curbow case.
    I paid around $600 for that combo.

7. I played my friend's Cort/Curbow 5 a few times and in fact have it at my house right now. It's not a bad bass. I found a sound I liked after playing around with its tone controls a while. Its sound (with the Mighty Mite) does leave something to be desired but really it's not bad at all. The thing I like about it is that it has a nice sustain and you can really feel the vibrations in the instrument, which is a sign of a good instrument. Definitely a decent choice for a 5-stringer on a budget.

Brian

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Cort Curbow 5 fretless is still for sale. I need to make some room or I would definitely hang on to it. Nice action and tight B. $380 I pay shipping in U.S. $430 with non-Cort brand new Tolex case. email for pics.
    Doc
    snyderz@whitemtns.com

9. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I'd probably buy it except that I want a fretted one. A fretless one wouldn't suit me well in my musical situation. Does yours have the funky black walnut finish? I love that color.

10. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Guys,

I believe that the Mighty Mite pup's are the same they use in the Ibanez Soundgear series....blah :( I think that the Curbow 6 has different pups used in it though if I am not mistaken.

11. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Are you talking about the DX5? I'm not sure but I think they're different. The newer curbows have something different written on the pick-up. The Ibanez sr305 and 405 both have pick-ups in them that say dx5 on them. Higher sr models have active pick-ups. I have the sr305 and the pick-ups don't sound that bad after I put in a different preamp. Also the curbow has a humbucker and my soundgear has split J style soapbars I think. The curbow 6 had a bartolini but I think it has a mightymite in it now. The preamp is still a bartolini desingn that's manufactured overseasm, a quality piece. If I bought a curbow I'd swap the pick-up for a bart anyway.

12. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Well, I was told by a few people that the Mighty Mite pups were the same as the DX5's. At the Cort website it calls the pickups Mighty Mite DX5's. I have an SR 405 and they say DX5.

13. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    My sr305 pups say DX5 on them too. Well most of the writing is worn off, but they did say DX5. I'll try asking Ibanez. They might not tell me though because they don't want to reveal their supplier.

14. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ok..
    Since I have done a lot of research on this matter.

There is a Factory in Korea that makes Cort Basses, Washburn Basses (some of them), Ibanez, Tobias (Gibson´Toby). Its name is Cor-Tek wich happens to be the mother factory of Mighty Mite.
    That means that All the DX, ADX , Custom Wound "Tobias Humbuckers" , etc etc.. are just Mighty Mite DX and ADX pickups respectively.

The Cort Curbow 6 String HAS and Will ALWAYS Have a Bartolini Humbucker. It is a split Coil M46 pickup.
    The preamp is designed by Gre Curbow/Bill Bartolini and made by MightyMite, it is good.

Greg Curbow will be upgrading the all the Cort Curbow line, by removind the "Cort" name and adding Bartolini Pickups (posibly) and I suggested him to add graphite reinforcements to the necks, I dont know if he is gonna do it or not.

I hope that sets the record straight.

15. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    OK. Thanks for all the info. I wasn't sure if Cor-Tek made Ibanezs' or not. Cor-Tek makes the Conklin groove tools line too. They seem to make (some) pretty good instruments over there. I had heard a rumor that the Curbow was going to be updated with a bart pup and either graphite or steel reinforcements in the neck. I sent Mr. Curbow an e-mail about this and never get a response. If the Curbow is going to updated, do know when one will be available? Also, where did you get all this info from?

16. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    From Greg Curbow himself.
    I have talked by the phone with him several times.

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Also.. I think that its gonna be updated this year.
    The changes should be present in the basses next year.

18. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    You a good friend with him or something?

19. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    When I bought the Fretless 5 from him, we discussed some stuff about pickups and about shimming the neck for a better angle and playability.
    Then I started talking about the rigidness of the neck and that the "Cort" label on the bass makes it look cheaper than it is.
    And that maybe putting only his name on the headstock would make the basses sell better.
    Then he told me about his projects with Cort and all that stuff.
    Just that.

20. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I dont like it because of the body being to small and when I was sitting down I could harly keep it on my knee.