The Cort Curbow Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Dec 27, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    This thread is dedicated to my two favorite (and only) basses in the whole wide world! The Cort Curbow! Although they seem to be very rare yet extremely sexy and of a unique design, they are still quite affordable and very powerful!

Some of the advantages of the Cort Curbow:

1) I don't have to unscrew anything to change the batteries!

2) At last, a small sized, full scale bass as light as air!

3) A very powerful little sucker with a very modern sound and a wide array of tone options!

4) An Active/Passive switch!

Okay, I can go on and on, but that's it! Any other Curbow owners, fans, worshippers out there? :bassist:
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  3. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I currently have my black 4 string set up as a piccolo bass! I had to shim the neck to help with the action but it's working out pretty well. I enjoy noodling around on it.

4. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    I've got a cort curbow 6 that was set up by Mr. Curbow, and has US barts in it. I enjoy it a lot. Great sounding bass.

I'm pretty sure that it isn't an active/passive switch though. It's called the "slap switch" and when it's activated, it boosts the lows and highs, and cuts out the mid-range.

I love the neck. It's a very fast neck, and great for walking bass lines in jazz band.
  5. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Here's a picture of mine...

Attached Files:

• bass.JPG
      File size:
      25.9 KB
  6. jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i have a curbow retro. does that count?
    i love this bass (it was my first), too bad they don't make 'em as 5ers...
  7. i unfortunatly am not an owner of one, i'm sure some day i will be, i've played a few and absolutly love them, amazing playability and some great tones in there. i need to go find one and play now.
  8. I've played the 6er with the zebrawood(?) top. Nice bass, Had the super powerful Bartolini MK1 pup in there.

Theyre not really rare though, my Guitar Centr has about 4 of them laying around...
  9. Wow......I have a 4 stringer and I actually hate the tone....not to mention it looks bad on me as a 210 6 ft build it looks too small. I truely do not like the tone though, but the neck plays incredibly fast, and is WAY light.

Hope they are to everyone else what they arent to me haha.

10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    You have the Bart or the Mighty Mite in there? I have one with the Bart, and love it. The MM's I've played, not so crazy about.

BTW, I'm 6'4", 285 and I gig with it...... :D
  11. i'm in the UK and can't get hold of a curbow 6er what they like because they look awesome
  12. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    yeah yeah I know it doesnot exist without pics but picked one of these jems at GC earlier in the month and I think the ax smokes! Killer B for the money and the fit and finish was a good as anything I have seen in the sub $1000 price range. I personally love the balance when playing upright. Sitting down with it is a pain in the ass but for the tone that this little honey can produce I'll take it. Very clean tone with just the right amount of low end booty. I have not been a big fiver before but this ax might have me won over to the B side.
    I'll try to figure out the wifes camera to take pics.....
  13. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've played a 4-string version at guitar center and was very impressed. It played very well and the tone was incredible. I loved the glossy fretboard. My only problem was that it wasn't very comfortable at all when sitting down. I'm sure its fine when standing, but the cutout for my leg was just too small and didn't sit right. Comfort is a major issue for me, so i would prolly never buy one. :bag:

edit: oh yeah, another thing i didn't like was the area between the fretboard and the pickup where theres a little edge. My fingers kept getting caught up on that part...
  14. Actually I think I do have the MM. That would be why then I suppose...haha

Glad you like it though!

Rock on
  15. I liked it at first, but I soon had some problems with it.

- The lower horn too short making it impossible to play while sitting of course.
    - Impossible to play without being plugged, not enough sound acoustically
    - And more importantly, the action was terrible, the too-thin neck didn't stay straight on mine (a luthier was not surprised by that, said he had already seen other afflicted Cort Curbow like mine!) AND could not be set right without paying something like a third of the price I paid (new!).

Sure the neck is über-fast, and the bart MK1 sounds very good, for the price of the bass, but I think I made an error buying it...well maybe it was a lemon, dunno...

I'm now much happier with my Tribute by G&L!
  16. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    Yeah, it's a pain sitting down and playing, I agree. But I have no issues with the tone or action at all. I have both of mine set up and with flatwound strings to give me my "Sublime" tone and I can groove with fast ska/punk/reggea rhythms racing all over the fretboard! :bassist:
  17. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I'm gonna single handedly turn this into a mega thread! :D
  18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.

I never had to adjust the neck on my Cort Curbow 6-string. That thing stayed perfect the entire time I owned mine, so it may be a bass-by-bass issue.

As for the bass itself, I still have not found a better value for an active 6-string. I traded mine to a TBer a while back because I could never get used to the tone of the luthite (just too thin for my tastes) and the neckdive was too much for me as well. HOWEVER, it was a great playing bass that sounded quite good, save for the aforementioned "thinness".
  19. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Mega-thread here we come.... I actually called Cort with a few questions and was pleased to find that a human answered the phone and seemed ready and able to talk about the bass adress any issues I had with the ax. Try getting that kind of service from Fender! :bag: So far the neck and fret work seem fine and if anything goes amiss I am sure Cort will pony up and take care of me. Plus I have a set up shop here in Portland that is second to none in terms of quality of work. To each his own however and I am sorry to hear about someone with issuses with their Cort.