1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The cost of a good Producer

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Gabu, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well, bad news for me...

I have been working with a producer who has been doing a great job at polishing my band's work. But unfortunately, we didn't understand that since our producer owned the masters that he was going to throw a bunch of payables, royalties, and other crap on the list of things that we as a band would owe him, after he got done.

He is done now... and here it is. He is trying to get 5% of any advance that we get, 2% of the retail value of each record sold, recoup thousands in costs (the difference between the discount rate he offered us and his normal rate), for the next two years we can only use him as a producer, and the last thing (the real humdinger), is that the contract he is trying to get us to sign is a "work for hire" contract... That means in a nutshell that he owns the work.

This is NOT AT ALL what he was describing in the beginning and we have not signed anything at all to that effect. On the other hand, thousands of dollars later, he still has our masters.

CRAP!! :mad:

Know any good lawyers?