1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Crackle was there The Crackle was gone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carpetdoor, Aug 19, 2012.

1. carpetdoor

carpetdoor

Aug 5, 2012
    I have a 400 watt 410 cab that gets a fair amount of abuse. Recently the top right speaker started making a subtle crackling on low notes at high volume, then yesterday it went to all out loudcrackling on all playing. So knowing nothing about speakers or cabinets i unscrewed the speaker looked at it saw nothing, shook it a bit then put it back in and now it works just fine?? Any thoughts? Can I rely on this for my gig next week?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maybe.

3. carpetdoor

carpetdoor

Aug 5, 2012
    'maybe'. Thats what i was thinking aswell, but what could have been the problem if a bit of a shake up fixed it

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    It could have been a loose connection--did you check the wires and terminals when you had the speaker out? Also, the wires that go from the speaker terminals through the cone to the voice coil can sometimes be too long, and they'll crackle or short out if they touch each other or the speaker frame. They need to have some slack because they move with the cone so you can't just tie them off if they're the culprit but they can sometimes be pushed into a better position to avoid touching.

5. Lose wire, grill rattle, something was rattling (solder chunk, etc) in the basket and fell out when you moved the driver, lose bolts, or maybe just luck. If it was me, I’d take another cab to gigs and use that cab at home or rehearsal until I knew it wasn’t going to start crackling again.

6. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    I would guess a loose connection somewhere that you temporarily fixed by mucking about in there.