Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Crappy Bass Amp Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rexspangle, Jul 9, 2001.

1. there is a lot of time spent on discussing the best set-ups. But at the present time I canot afford to buy a cab for my new head so it basically sits in my room. Instead I am playing through a old Sunn head with a 100 year old 1x15 cab. The head has blown tubes that I cannot afford to replace. And it sounds different every band practice. So basically I just learn to deal with the distortion and the terrible tone for now until I can get a new job.

Is there anyone else out there that currently has the worst set-up and can't do much about it?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    aahh - i remember those days. playing my brand new warwick thru a peavey TKO 115. yuck.

jason

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I started out on a mono tape recorder :eek:

But I upgraded to an used Ampeg V-4B and a noname 1x15 two weeks later. I still kick myself for selling that Ampeg.

4. Why don't you hook your new haed to your "100 year old" cab ?

5. I do hook the head up occasionaly to the cab, if i am desperate for an amp when we play shows. The problem is the cab has no info on it so as far as ohms or watts go it is a mystery. I don't want to damage my head or possibly the cab (since the cab is borrowed.) That is what makes my situation even more humourous

I don't even own the stuff I am using :)

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Believe it or not, so did I. A Sony tube powered reel-to-reel (maybe 5 watts;))

My first "bass" wasn't a bass either.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

100 year old cab? I'll have you to know that back in the gay '90s, we didn't have electricity in most of the places that we played.

When I need to amplify my bass, it had a mastering stylus attached to the end of the headstock.

I would put a wax disc on the mastering turntable, and press the stylus into the soft wax as the turntable rotated.

The resulting rough cut could then be played back on any Victrola that had a horn attached to the stylus.

Jam sessions were a pain in the arse.;)

8. I feel your pain you think you had it bad my speaker is made of wood.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...I have a Crate B80XL...it's an older model, and has a peak of 200 watts, but no Idea what the RMS is on that sucker...it's oke for practice and small gigs...the kicker? I'm getting custom 6er bass...and am going to have to explain MANY times that I got the bass first and the really cool amps are coming later...Oh, the horror of playing my custom on a lowly Crate. Eh. Someones gotta be a loser, why not me?:D

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    :DLMOA

11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    Here's how to find the impedance of the cab.
    Use a multimeter with a resistance setting.
    Plug a cable into the cab and measure the resistance between the tip and the sleeve of the free jackplug.
    The reading will be roughly Two Thirds of the impedance.
    I.e. if it reads 5 point something -or- other ohms,it'l be an 8 ohm cab, 2 point something, 4 ohms.
    It's a rough guide but I've never known it fail!

12. Cool thanx Paul A

..To the multimeter store Batman!

:)

13. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Just had to do a small country/gospel gig with a Fender Rad bass amp (30W into a 10" speaker). Blech!

Also, my old Crate B10 and then B90 amps. Tough as s&^t, but also sounded like s^%t.

I am definitely much happier with my Peavey Stack.

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have no bad amp stories for you at all.

I started out with a Gorilla 30. I was brand new to playing, and it sounded great to me. Then I traded it in for credit against a Fender Sidekick 30. I liked that alot and kept it until last year. When I needed more volume I picked up a Fender Bassman 50 w/ a 1x15 cab. The thing was older than me! It sounded really cool. (But unfortunately a year later was stolen between sets at a gig at my school) Then I got a Gallien Kruegar RCB 200 w/ a 1x15 cab. This sounded awesome, but I needed more juice. I sold this and got a Peavey Century 200, under the false understanding that it was 200w. It sounded cool.... kinda like my old bassman, but didn't even have the volume of my GK. So I sold that. Then I got a Carvin Cyclops. Good sound, good volume! But not exactly what I wanted. I acquired a Peavey 2x15 bass cab and added that to my Cyclops. This was one nasty mofo. It seriously kicked you in the chest when turned up. But I sold it. I now have the Carvin RC210 combo with a Carvin 1x18 ext cab. This has the sound and volume that I want. I am now mucho stylin'!!!

Of course I shouldn't leave out my little black monster. It's a homebrew 12w combo amp with 2x8" speakers. It sounds really cool and fits nicely under my desk for PC recording. :)

15. My story is not so much about crappy bass amps as it is about going through like 10 amps in 2 months....

I started out with a peavey basic 50 about a year ago...maybe a little longer. basic 50 was 50 watts pushing 1x10". Then just recently i joined a band and obviously this wasnt gonna cut it. So i started my search. I went to the local mars music store and fell in love with the fender bassman 60 after playing it while i was trying out a pedal that i had been looking at. I put the pedal on hold and decided to go for the amp. Then I decided just for kicks to try out the fender bassman 100 that blew me away...couldnt get enough of that warm punchy booming tone. So i started saving. As soon as i had the $500, I bought the bassman 100. Brought it to my next few band practices, and it wasnt loud enough. SO i took it back, saved some more money, and bought the Fender bassman 200. Took it back, we dug the tone, but it still wasnt loud enough. Then i decided to take that back and keep saving. The next place i looked was Rik's music online. I found the Nemesis NC-210P combo and having played eden stuff before, i decided that this was what i needed. Rated at 225 watts and having 2 10's, i figured alright, ill be set. So about 2 weeks later, i called to order the little bugger. Oh no, it turns out, that riks the previous week had stopped carrying nemesis and closed out all the nemesis stuff except for one NC-115P which was the same make as the 210, but with a 15" speaker. I bought it, brought it back and we all htought...no way....didnt sound very good, and was quieter then my original bassman. SO i htought screw it. I'm saving for a halfstack. I did so, and had been having troubles getting the cab i wanted even up until yesterday...That's when it happened. Al of a sudden, my drummer called me up and gave me a phone number of a guy in the paper selling some bass gear. I went to the guys house(this is last night mind you) and try out the stuff. Low and behold. I get a Nemesis NC-210P and a MESA/BOOGIE diesel 4x10 cab for $450.oo!!! So now ive got a 3/4 stack if you will at 225 watts(louder then you;d expect too!) all for 50 dollars cheaper then my first bassman 100.
    Also, the nemesis has a really warm, rounded, full tone to it, and then the mesa has a really booming tight punchy, very responsive feel to it, and its unbelievably clean yet still very warm... Add the 2 together, it blows me away
    Can't beat that!
    Graham

16. I have the worst setup of all. IT is not even a cab. Sometimes I play through my stero and the other times I play through a 35 watt Washburn amp and I don't have the cash to buy a better one so anyone out there who can top this let me know

17. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Im playing through a ****ty VOx 25watt practice amp, my first amp. I made the mistake of thinking the present day Vox was that of the time of the Beatles, but I was wrong.

18. which_ones_pink

which_ones_pink

Jul 10, 2001
    ha! i don't know if anyone can beat my crappy bass amp.
    here's the story:
    i got a marshall 25 watt bass combo for christmas 6 months after i started playing. within a year the amp had broken. i took it to a repair shop to see if it was fixable; it wasn't. i then bought a 15 watt fender guitar amp (i had to play through something and i didn't have any money) from a friend for $30. after a lot of screwing around, i decided that i liked the sound of my marshall bass speaker better than the fender guitar speaker (big surprise, huh?) so i put the fender preamp into my marshall combo.

i now have a fender/marshall hybrid. i'm not sure if i should call it a fendshall or a marder...any suggestions? i am sure, however, that i'll be buying a new amp sometime soon.

19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    For practice/none school related times i play through a Fender BXR 15 15 watts into an 8. Ok-this thing is great for bedroom practice-is even ok when used with my guitarist friends who have 15 watt peaveys but not any other time. thats all

20. Imabassplayr

Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    2 words:
    rogue cg50b :)
    you'd actually be surprised... its bad... but liveable (i've probly gotten used to it)