The "Cro-Mag" Guitar Solo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Barker, May 31, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, i'd just like to tell you all how much i love the "cro-mag" guitar solo.

what the hell is this, you ask? well...i just kinda made up that term to describe such solos as the ones found in nirvana songs (prime examples: "in bloom" and "breed") or even tool ("triad").

the defining characteristics: few notes, lots of distortion, feedback, and balls. even the "wrong notes" are played with extreme zeal and intensity. they even (occasionally) display taste and musicality, but not in a rational way.

why do i like them so much? well the emotion is overwhelming. i can't analyze, or i don't want to. they just seem to perfectly access that testosterone.

i admire those musicians who are able to really display this, even though they may not be the most technically proficient (hence, "cro-magnon"). there ya go.

any more fans?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The style over substance guys? Gotta love em.

Dude, is that an attempt at my last name in your location field? If so, you sure butchered it...
  3. nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    its good stuff!
    i prefer it to extremely technical but unexpressive solos.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i like technical solos with a lot of feeling (Petrucci)
  5. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Gotta love that crazy kinda noise solos!!! Like the NIN track on downward spiral (1 or 2 after closer, I don't have the listing). Daft Punk also do some really crazy stuff of thier latest album. heh heh!
    WWWWwwwweeeeEEEEEEEOOOOwwwwwwgggGGGGGGGGGGZZZzzzzzzzzz NNNIIIIIIIiiiiiiiioooooowwwwWWWWWWWW PPPHHHHhhhhhhzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. I always thought it came from the NY hardcore band the Cro-Mags, their solos were all like that, and they were pretty influential on the east coast, even on the west coast too.
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    shoulda guessed that there would be a band named the cro-mags. :D

(and no, it isn't supposed to actually be your last name, but like an adjective. kinda like "bootlicious"...if your first name were "booty" and last "licious".... :D :confused: )