The cure to GAS... well, sorta...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    As one who's had GAS for a Jerzy Drozd custom for a long time, this latest thread (NAMM preview: Jerzy Drozd) didn't help things much ;)

This longing for another bass had some subconscious effects on me - for example "I don't think this nails that tone, maybe a different wood combo and other p-ups & preamp will do it" or "my lows are not defined and punchy enough", etc.

Then I thought of something - "when I got this bass, it was a huge improvement - maybe I've forgotten to value it" so I pulled out my old bass: an Ibeenhad SR300DX...
    Well, the "tone", if you can call it that... So dull and unlively that even zombies would bore themselves. Lacks mids, brittle highs. And all this without the highs rolled off with the tone pot. With highs rolled off, this would make any dub fans happy - but not a bass player...

After about half an hour, I switched back to the Corvette... :eek: :) :smug: :D
    Now I remembered.
    All those tones I wanted were there. Mids came back, lows prowled and growled, and the notes were much more distinct. Killer P-bass tone with neck-p-up soloed, punch and growl with the bridge p-up. :smug:

Moral of the story:
    Keep a cheapo bad bass around to know how much to appreciate what you have.
  2. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Great... Now I'm Gassin' for a cheap bass with poor tone!

Actually, I think you've got a good idea. A reality check is just what I need sometimes.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    good deal
    i posted a cure for gas in ot or misc a while back
    one of the things i do when i find a great "gotta have it" bass
    or what have you is to bring my bass or amp or whatever in to compare the two. i've saved a zillion dollars and a lot of headache that way. usually i go home thinking "man i have the coolest bass in the world already" :)
  5. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Good advice.

My recommended "cure for GAS" is to stay away from! LOL!!! I've found that I get GAS often ever since I started hanging out here, starting a few years back. Every time I read about the newest cool bass, amp, cab, pedal, etc., I want to go out and buy one. I've bought more gear just in the past 4 years than I bought in all of the previous 20+ years of bassplaying. I'm sure that I'd stopping so much buying gear if I stop hanging out at Talkbass, but I just can't stop.

:hyper: :D :hyper: