The Cure's Simon Gallup

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jan 16, 2001.

1. dmc79

dmc79

Mar 29, 2006
    UK
    Just played Wish 3 times in a row! Simon's tone in 1992 was incredible. I say 1992 and not just the album because the 6 b-sides were outstanding too. A really superb era. From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea is one of my favourite songs of all time.

I have read a LOT of threads on Chorus pedals for bass and it seems that the CE-5 has the edge over the CEB-3 overall. I do see TC Corona mentioned a lot too, also there is a mini version. I will probably get either a Corona or a CE-5.

This thread should be turned into the Simon Gallup Fan Club and numbers given out. Can this happen? If so I want a number, preferably #1 :hyper:

Raman, nofrets5 and winterburn69 like this.
  2. dmc79

dmc79

Mar 29, 2006
    UK
    Thanks. Is that pretty much how you have the dials set too? Interesting that the ODB-3 features in Simon's lineup when it seems to get bashed a lot. I think earlier he was using the MT-2 though.

A lot of my fave Cure stuff was mid 80s to early 90s when he played a Stingray. So, any tips on getting a non-Stingray bass to sound like a Stingray? I guess the combo of overdrive, chorus & flanger on your board get close to the 'Ray sound from that era?

I am still checking the bay for a CE-5 and will most likely get one soon. I believe that Simon's sound on the early Cure albums was mainly Flanger so I will probably try and get a BF-3 as well, though I am curious about the MXR Micro Flanger / MXR Phase 90 too. Anyone tried for Cure sounds?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Get a BF-2. Not a BF-3. The BF-3 won't cut it IMO. I have a BF-3 and 2 BF-2s. The MXR Phase 90 is a phaser and wouldn't be very applicable to Cure songs. I haven't tried the MXR Micro Flanger but I have the EVH Flanger, and while it's a great flanger (it really is), the BF-2 is what's needed for playing The Cure.

Not sure how to get a Stingray sound out of a non-Stingray. Favor the bridge pickup perhaps? around that time he also played several hollowbody basses.

davegt666 likes this.
  4. Ditto on the BF-2. The BF-2 has this amazing sound that once you start using, you'll find other places it'll fit.

lesliegl likes this.
  5. dmc79

dmc79

Mar 29, 2006
    UK
    Thanks. Before the replies came I read a few threads which mostly said to get a BF-2, not a BF-3. It seems the 3 has more bells & whistles but the 2 just sounds better. Any difference between the white button Taiwan made & the black button Japan made 2 ?

Simons live board is currently BF-3 & CEB-3 even though the bulk of their set is songs he'd have recorded with BF-2 & CE-5. Is this something to do with Boss wanting to promote the very latest models (even if they aren't necessarily improvements on previous models) ? If that's the case though you'd think he'd have the BB-1X, not the ODB-3

6. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I have both versions of the BF-2, and I greatly prefer the one with white knobs.

7. dmc79

dmc79

Mar 29, 2006
    UK
    Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open for one of these

8. dmc79

dmc79

Mar 29, 2006
    UK
    I'm still trying to decide about OD. Mainly for playing Cure stuff but no doubt will end up playing other stuff with it too. I myself have had an ODB-3 and wasn't crazy about it, Gallup has used this and MT-2 but you mostly hear bad stuff about that too. Perhaps I disliked the ODB as I used it alone and not combined with anything else (chorus/flanger)?

I am going stir crazy reading reviews & watching YouTube videos of these and still can't decide:

EHX Bass Soul Food
    MXR Bass Overdrive
    Way Huge Pork Loin
    Southampton Fifth Gear
    TC Spark Booster
    Joyo Ultimate Drive (seems too cheap to be good)

Any thoughts on the above, also Boss and any other good ODs I haven't mentioned?

Raman likes this.
  9. The Bass Soul Food is a tricky pedal. When I first tried it, it sounded like the perfect light OD sound I wanted, and it can still get that, but it can also sound like you put a blanket over your cab if the treble isn't high enough, and the drive is VERY subtle. You barely hear anything until you have the drive at 11:00 or so. Also, it's true bypass popping noise is the worst of any pedal I've tried, so you usually end up putting it in buffered mode to avoid the super loud pops. It can also be useful as a clean or effected boost (drive all the way down, blend fully CW or CCW, level to taste, tone to taste if your clean signal is off).

I've tried the Bass Overdrive, and while I did like one of the settings *a lot*, it was really the only setting I found usable. I had the clean all the way up, with drive and tone around 11:00 I think. It never fully cleans up even if you put the clean all the way up and the drive all the way down. Plus, what they advertise as a "clean blend" is a pre-EQ'd version of your clean tone, so it's not really "your" sound coming through.

I tried the Spark Booster, and it can give you a furry, tube-sounding drive, but it really wasn't to my liking no matter what I did with it.

I've heard great things about the Pork Loin, but I don't think it would be a good fit to get that grindy OD tone that Gallup uses (which I think is mostly just an overdriven SVT, a pick, and scooped mids) or to get the distortion that he uses on songs like Screw. Also heard good things about the Southampton Fifth Gear, but I don't have any experience with that. The Ultimate Drive sounds like a great pedal from the demos, and pretty much everyone thinks it retains more low-end than the OCD it copies.

Since most of the time his OD on the records is pretty subtle and grindy, maybe look at something like an SCR-DI, SansAmp, or B3K. The BSF can get pretty grindy as well even though it does have it's problems.

dmc79 likes this.
  10. dmc79

dmc79

Mar 29, 2006
    UK
    Thanks for this very informative summary! I think I am getting closer to figuring out what it actually is that I want. In terms of what Simon himself uses, the MT-2 is a distortion and the ODB-3 is essentially a fuzz (if I am right here) but I think really what I want is the 'Grindy OD' that you speak of (Disintegration / Wish eras). Would the Sansamp VT Bass pedal work for this? I'm liking the YouTube demos of it. I recently bought a Radial Pro 48 DI box so wouldn't need the DI version, just the standalone pedal.

11. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Yeah the VT Bass actually probably would work pretty well. I should dust mine off and play through some Cure songs with it. I've never thought of using it for Cure songs. However I have used the GT-2 for Disintegration and it nails the Trilogy tone.

dmc79 likes this.
  12. dmc79

dmc79

Mar 29, 2006
    UK
    ANOTHER pedal for me to look into? Crikey! The GT-2 is one I haven't heard of before, is there not much love for it compared to the VT ?

13. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Haha. Well I could recommend lots. I've got piles of pedals.

It's not a super popular pedal among bassists, I think it's more of a guitar pedal. It has a very Sansampy tone.

14. I can't comment on the black knob version but I have the white knob MIT one and I am very happy with it. It sounds warm but still has the ability to slice through a mix like nothing.

One of the best $50 you can spend.

15. dmc79

dmc79

Mar 29, 2006
    UK
    Thanks I am looking out for the white knob, MIT BF-2. Had chance to get a BF-2B but read about the BF-2 being better.

I have just bitten the bullet and ordered a mint condition CE-5 at a great price so can't wait to use it for some classic 80s Cure !

16. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Hope it's a pink label CE-5, those are the analog ones.

17. nofrets5

nofrets5 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Ferndale, MI, USA
    The grindy sound is largely a Stingray; I know he started playing hollowbodies "live" around then, but recording wise, Stingray and possibly his old P bass. I remember his interview in Guitar Player around Wish, where he said he still liked the Stingray for recording, but live found it "too zingy" or something like that. So, I guess do you chase the actual recorded tone, or the visuals around then.

18. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    That "zingy" live tone is what I love best from those days!!

19. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc

dmc79 and olgluefoot like this.
  20. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I would have liked to be that bass player.

dmc79 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021