The Cure's Simon Gallup

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jan 16, 2001.

1. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Anybody know why there's no bass represented in the video for Fascination Street? Or is that Simon in the hat playing a VI?

2. nofrets5

nofrets5 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Ferndale, MI, USA
    Simon on Bass IV.

3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    simon on bass vi when he's not adjusting his hat

BillMason likes this.
  4. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    This is what I’m talking about!
    My fave era and lineup. Simon is killing it! It’s a bit strange seeing them in the bright sunlight though.

5. cureboy81

cureboy81

Jul 31, 2019
    if someone is telling me what region this photo is from or what it is Live?

67533065_10155939506871685_5518201186223652864_o.jpg

6. eboe

eboe

Jul 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    He used a Gold Jack Cassidy Epiphone on the Trilogy DVD/BR for the encore set, on "The Kiss" which is tuned down to D.

dabis likes this.
  7. eboe

eboe

Jul 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    What I always hated about the Music Man is how obviously they are made to be brighter for someone who plays fingerstyle, so bright that when you play with a pick, especially over the pickup at the bridge, it almost sounds like this sort of ticky-tocky-tacky sound and it grates on me. I personally think that P-Bass tone is the holy grail, but I've heard people get good tones out of Jazz Basses and I don't personally understand how. I do notice that the humbuckers in the Thunderbirds and thus the Gallup Model Spitfires that are essentially Thunderbird copies are not as bright as the Music Man basses.

I personally prefer my MIJ Boss pedals to get that Cure tone for guitar or bass, but YMMV of course. I actually use the Super Overdrive as I think it was what Robert was using at one point in time. Their Disintegration gear is documented in an issue of Musician that has the Who on the cover, I have it packed away somewhere...

8. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    that info has been posted somewhere on talkbass

9. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    090F79F9-3387-4EE3-BD37-68F7B05BD9D1.jpeg

Oh yeah!!:hyper::D

MojaveVox likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021