The current Ampeg V-4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mo Boogs, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    I'm thinking of selling most of my bass amps and getting an Ampeg V-4B with the matching 212 AV cab. I play in a classic rock cover band and this rig will be replacing my SWR SM-400 with matching Goliath 410 and my Peavey Firebass II 700 with matching TVX 410. How will it do? Are the V-4Bs a solid rocknroll bassists amp? Is the volume decent? I like the idea of being able combo many types of cabs particularly doing two 212s when needed.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'm a little biased, but I think you will absolutely love that rig. Will it get as loud cleanly as a 400w SS amp and two 410's? Probably not. But it ain't quiet, either.

GregC, TC.65, Mo Boogs and 3 others like this.
  3. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I am not biased (just an Ampeg fan), and for me it's my go to rig (albeit two 112 cabs instead of one 212 cab).
    And I play in a 8 piece rock band.

So, to answer your questions:
    - Yes, and even more than that.
    - Absolutely!

TC.65 and johnpbass like this.
  4. Ya may love it so much that you get another 212.... I'm using mine tonight with 2 115s. .. with one 115 I'd be struggling, but 2... yoooooj!

Ed Byrnes likes this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The V4B is a nice sounding amp. Yes, two 212 cabs would be even louder.

But before buying any amp, you owe it to yourself to first test drive one if you can. Especially if you are first cleaning house.

6. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    That's definitely the issue for me. No stores around here keep a V4-B or a SVT classic in stock so I'd have to go on reputation.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  8. P-oddz

P-oddz

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    V4B and 212AV user here, in a loud, modern rock band. Everything from round, thuddy fingerstyle, to heavy pick attack with fuzz.
    I honestly couldn't praise this amp enough, and the 212 is no slouch in projection and heft of tone. It has been my number one rig (taking over an Orange AD200 rig) since its purchase.

Huge versatility in tone, lighter package, and it's proven to be ultra reliable for me. Compared to all the SS amps I have played, I would V4B it up ALL DAY. Your ego will thank you.

GregC, High Camp, TC.65 and 1 other person like this.
  9. I'm not sure how useful this will be but....one of my rig configurations is an original V4B with an SVT-212E. :hyper:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

It is a good amp but how loud it gets cleanly depends on the cabinets you use and what you want to hear from them. With my particular choice a V4B wouldn’t even get one moving let alone the two. Will a 2x12 be louder than a 4x10 would depend on how efficient it is.

Jimmy know more about these than I so, if he says you should be good to go, I’ll bow to his superior experience. :)

JimmyM likes this.
  11. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    If you're anywhere near Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky, you're welcome to come over and try mine. I have an SVT, V4-B, and 212AV.

GregC, catcauphonic and drummer5359 like this.
  12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I've been using my two 112AV cabs for every gig lately with either my V4 or other amps. Love those little cabs. Did some gigs recently filling in for a 7 piece band at a brewery and a small bar, certainly not the loudest group but there was plenty of bass in the room (no bass in FOH) and the amp wasn't breaking a sweat. I think if you don't mind a little hair on the tone the V4B with a 212AV would be fine a lot of situations.

High Camp, freedomryder and TC.65 like this.
  13. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    A little hair on my tone is exactly what I'm looking for. I love that ole James Gang, Cream, Mountain tone.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Wish I could use a V4B for hair on my tone. I can't even get it in my band with a PF-50T! I have to use a B-15.

LiquidMidnight, sjrash and Tbone76 like this.
  15. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    No kiddin! The drummer and lead singer in my band would prefer if I used a cigarette pack amp or a pignose, but they're gonna have to just suck it up when I get my V4-B.

Ed Byrnes, GregC, Tbone76 and 3 others like this.
  16. I own two SVT 212AV cabinets and LOVE them!

I do not (yet) own a V-4B. I either power one 212AV with a SVT 3 Pro, or I run a SVT Classic through both of my 212 AVs. I would have bought a V-4B, but I got a killer deal on a Classic and couldn't pass it up.

I think that you will love this rig.

Tbone76 likes this.
  17. Mo Boogs

Mo Boogs

Mar 26, 2014
    Man I can't wait to get it! I've definitely got my sights set on the V4-B but was also curious if anyone's used the Ampeg Micro VR 210 stack? Sound great in the videos of seen but seems to me it's more like a bedroom, practice amp. Has anyone gigged with those?

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sure. More than a bedroom amp, but not a rig i'd use in Metallica. Sub out the PF350 and you get more power. But I would still totally rather have a V4B.

sjrash likes this.
  19. sjrash

sjrash

Nov 30, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I have been using a V4B and a 212AV for years as my only gig rig. This setup does fine for me in medium sized venues. When playing outside or larger venues, I use the V4B and a 810AV. If anymore than that is needed, I run a di through PA. I set up the gain on my amp so it is clean until I dig into the strings a bit. One of my favorite Ampeg amps.

JimmyM and P-oddz like this.
  20. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    V4B and 212AV is my only gigging rig right now.
    I play in two bands and it handles anything I throw at it.
    I don't have much allegiance to any gear and tend to trade more than I should, but this rig ain't going anywhere.

JimmyM likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022