Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The curse of spyware

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Mar 4, 2005.

1. I am fighting a losing battle with some spyware called Envolo. A few weeks ago, my daughter clicked the wrong link and BANG, we were infected.

My Norton finds the program, I track it down and manually delete it, and within a short time it is back. I have read a little about it on a couple of computer sites but most of what they say might as well be Mandarin Chinese. This crap is really bogging down my computer. and I am bombarded with popups.

Has anybody had this problem and how did you cure it?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Have you tried running Ad-Aware or Spybot? Both programs (available from www.download.com) work well. Try them out. If that does not work, try booting your system in safe mode, then run the above mentioned programs.

Good luck!

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Do yourself a favor... get off of Internet Explorer!!!!!!

Use Firefox or Mozilla. I did it and all my spyware problems went away because they can't install themselves with either of the browsers. Spyware/Viruses get on to your puter cuz you're using IE!

Just zap all your existing problems with whatever anti-spyware stuff you have. Then use IE only when you have to, when certain web applications demand it. I changed over 6 months ago and stopped getting spyware problems. Besides, Firefox or Mozilla, they're better browsers anyway!

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Microsoft has an anti-spyware app for free. I've been running it for a couple of months now and have had no issues.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Oh -- and I ran it against Ad-Aware for quite a while to see what the difference was in what they caught, and it's the same between them.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I had some spyware that even Ad-Aware wouldn't remove.

I finally got it with "Spyware Doctor", which is also free from download.com

7. Try this website: http://www.cexx.org/

If you are brave enough to edit your registry you can clean up the mess.

8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    These are the essential programs to use:

Spybot Search & Destroy
    SpywareBlaster
    CWShredder
    Hijack This!

and updating your windows system files via Windows Update. If you need more specific help , ask me, I'm a PC tech who is mightly good at removing this stuff

9. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    There is always the slightly more drastic but ultimately very effective solution which I chose...

Use a Mac instead :D

(and ditto for hdiddy's comments above about using Firefox - ditch IE now and get it!)

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I gave up on ad-aware and spybot... I've had a few thinks over the years that they can't find.

I recently gave up on Norton too (I ran the corp version ALWAYS up to date). I was having some oddness and thought to try the free online scan @ www.trendmicro.com it found 2 trojans that Norton didn't see :eek:

I ordered this click here

it's the 3 pack home network internet security... virus, spyware, firewall, etc

and yes, I only use IE for when I watch videos at Launch.com and manually updating windows / MS stuff.

FireFox/Thunderbird/Trillian all the way

11. I had a similar problem recently and I fixed it by first removing the offending spyware through my anti-virus software, then changing my IE settings to disallow third party software from automatically installing itself, and also to not accept cookies without my consent. Then I deleted all cookies and other internet related files. The problem has gone away. This was a simple fix but it took some experimentation to get it right. Be aware that the default settings for IE seem to be designed to promote popups and spyware infections rather than preventing them.

Jon

12. Thanks guys. I have tried some of these (spybot etc.) with no luck on this thing. I can't download the MS stuff because I am running Windows Me. I will give some of these a try and see what happens.

13. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Backup your data and reformat your hard drive. That fixes everything. I do mine about once every 3 mos, its like changing oil on your car.

14. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    Alexi is right about getting the updates...theres a lot of fixes/patches needed for ME after you reformat/reinstall. My advice would be to upgrade to a better OS instead, I think you can get an XP home upgrade for about 99 bucks. Good luck.

15. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Spyware is not a problem with Firefox. Plus Thunderbird is amazing as well, no more email viruses.

16. lownotes02

lownotes02

Jan 19, 2005
    Melbourne, Fl
    If you dont want to reformat, here's some useful links.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.envolo.html

Symantec (Manufacturer of Norton Anti-Virus) is a great site for tips, as well as registry keys that you can edit to help remove the problem. If you are not too techie, here's another site that helped me when I wanted to learn basic PC troubleshooting.

http://mcselive.com/Forums/categories.cfm?catid=10

One poster in there named Bob Muir is really helpful, I could ask lots of stupid questions (like I do here in the DB forum :smug: )
    and he always had the answer. Good luck.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have just got the same problem - I was recommended Microsoft Anti Spyware - which did detect some stuff and remove it - but there is this "Browser Hijack" which just comes back every time! :mad:

I tried Spybot search and destroy - which found 22 other things !!

But I still have the Browser Hijack!! :(

All these programmes seem to be able to detect - but not destroy it!! :meh:

18. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    what's it called?

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

All the programs say is :

"Possible Browser Hijack"

Every scan finds it - but they don't seem to be able to get rid of it!!
    :(

20. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    The anti-spyware stuff is all well and good, but the only certain way to deal with this is to reformat the drive and reinstall everything. It seems like an ultra-drag, I know, and it probably is. Chances are you're not set up to to quickly and easily re-establish your base system. With Windows, though, over the years, I have learned that is the only way to deal with certain types of problems, and that's exactly how I've approached managing my own Windows systems for the last couple of years.

Every Windows OS ever installed on a PC eventually dirties its own nest so badly that you need to clean house. Having the ability to quickly cycle through killing an aged and flakey installation and reinstalling will improve your quality of computing life.

You might not be able to prevent that sh*t totally, but you don't have to put up with it once it's there.

And use FireFox next time! Internet Explorer should be banned.