Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The cursed venue strikes again!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ParryPerson, Feb 18, 2006.

1. ParryPerson

ParryPerson Banned

Feb 16, 2006
    Shreveport Louisiana
    In the band I'm new to, (well, been playing with them for 5 months now), they always avoided gigs at a place called Olive Street.

Now rumor has it, whenever bands that play the more heavy stuff gig here, bad things happen. They call it "cursed", but I don't buy into that stuff. Well, 4 months in, after I've learned the songs (not easy, mathy, proggy kinda stuff) they start booking gigs for Attyla (our band) again.

The last one we had was at Olive Street, when the singer told the drummer and guitairst about the gig, they went silent! The last time they played, the guitarist broke a new string, had a amp fail, the drummer broke his snare head, and the bassists hands cramped so bad he couldn't play.... Sounds pretty hellish, but they said the other bands that played there had done worse!

Gig time rolls around, it's kind of shady, a little smokey and it gets to me a little, but I'm good to go. We setup, and we get a sound guy to come in, and he checks our stuff (opening band) and then.....

leaves.

He gives on mic to the drums bass, one to the guitar, and runs me direct. Thank god it wasen't a HUGE venue. Everyones kinda pissed that he just left, but if the sound is good, everyone agrees to pay him. The headliners of the show were a touring band from Baton Rouge, they were supposed to be pretty good. Anyway,

Our set starts, we desided to play one of our hardest songs first, they had changed the setlist before, so this seemed like no big deal.

After that song, we all knew it was a bad idea, and we were feeling it, so we went into the next song.... and the vocals get horrible feedback, and the mic keeps cutting out, making the singer stand very still and hoping it won't fail again the rest of the gig, The drummer gets his stick caught in his hi hat. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE? And then... my hand becomes the claw. The full hand cramp of death. I don't know what to do, I just keep playing, and then in get to the point where my fingers WILL NOT MOVE. I can't force them to move, so I move this claw looking hand over the fretboard franticly trying to keep up to horrible results. Messed up song parts, horrible timing by all of us, and we had warmed up before the gig!

Then the next band gets on, Botis, a local band. Their bassist is a no show. The singers mic goes out randomly, like has a short in it, and one of the guitarists rig's stops putting out noise (found out later the singer had bumped his pedal volume all the way down, all the while they had changed guitars, fuses, and cords).

Now, the HEADLINERS GET ON.

6 people.

There are 6 people there, not including my band. for the HEADLINERS from baton rouge! They were all stage jumping around headbanging like a bunch of idiots bumping into each other 3 chord generic metal band, they weren't that good, and no one liked them, all flash and tried to hard, and the singer felt he had to mention their myspace and their products we could buy after every song (lame) but everyone felt sorry for them, so all the local bands gave them their part of the cover. The sound guy was not paid.

that, was a hell gig.

2. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Where is this Olive Street, again?

3. Sounds like you had fun!? :eyebrow:
    Some people say the same things about Kenny's Castaways here in NY. I haven't found any reason to hate on them but their whole vibe is kinda weird.

What I don't get is why someone would agree to do the gig if they were already expecting all these bad things to happen to them? If a venue has constant PA problems that never get fixed, I will eventually stop playing there. Simple as that. Is there some sort of morbid fascination with putting ourselves in these situations? I don't get it. Then you said, "We got a sound guy to come in." What, off the street? Who sets up mics and leaves....and then gets paid?! I would start telling people to get their **** together if it were me. I would NOT continue working with guys who take gigs at a known "hole" venue and then agree to pay that sack of flesh that was supposed to be the sound guy. It just seems so JV. I don't mean to be harsh but I just have no patience for this stuff anymore. It seems like the people inside the venue are the problem, not the secret Indian burial ground underneath it. :smug:

4. ParryPerson

ParryPerson Banned

Feb 16, 2006
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Thats just the thing, they have an amazing PA at this place, last time the PA wasen't the problem, and it wasen't really this time either, just the soundguy leaving before anyone plays, and the mic shorting out.