Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Czech Spectors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalloid, Mar 22, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I am curious about them...I saw Nino's post on his find, and may want one myself.

What is the difference between the new and old version(s) of the NS4CRFM bass? The older model is $899 @ musicians friend, and the newer model is $450 more I believe.

Is that the Czech bass that most of you have? (talking to the people that own one!)

Is that a good deal? (if it is, then I am sure that you will all go buy them before I get a chance!)

What is going to be the difference in sound between that and my warwick FNA 4 string?

It looks like a nice bass, but I dont want to judge the book by the cover!

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    All of the ones at reduced prices at MF are the same specs as a current Czech except:

1) They all have dot inlays, not the crowns
    2) The figured maple is very tame in the ones at MF when compared to the current Czechs

These two differences are purely cosmetic. I'm not aware of any difference in the electronics or constructions outside outside of that.

The NS4CR's and FM's at MF right now were older stock that Sepctor sold to them to blowout. I'd say they are a good buy at those prices, they just won't 'look' like the current Czechs. The FM's have transluscent finishes, and the CR's do not (I think that's right, please correct me if that's wrong.)

If anyone goes for one, just be sure to inspect the instrument closely for flaws. For example, slight cosmetic flaws. The reason I say that is I am guessing this stock must have been around a while to be on sale at those prices. I could be wrong...

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Seamus is correct except that the older ones were available in transparent colors. If you could live w/a bass w/dot inlays & the maple not being as figured, then jump all over it!!!!! The cool thing about the newer ones is that they look alot like the USA counterparts. Other than that, thay play & sound the same.

4. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    How can I try them out if I am going to buy from musicians friend???

No one else around me is a spector dealer so I cant even get a taste of how the spectors are.

I wish I could play them!!!!

The one thats $899 isnt a scratch and dent or whatever, just reduced price.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I know what you mean. The dealers around me JUST started stocking Spectors, but they don't even have any Czech or US models, only Korean.

They are tough to find. Seems the smaller stores stock them more than the chains around here. :(

Still, MF seems to be a pretty friendly company from my dealings with them. If you don't want to miss out on the price, I would just go ahead and order one.

Spend a good day or two with it and see if you like it. If not, just tell them it's not what you expected and return it. You'll lose out on the shipping back to them, but that should be it. By the way, I don't endorse sites, but last time I returned something to them, they offered to pick up the return shipping.

6. mETTaLLoiD

You can trust your bud's the Spector owners!! Don't wait any longer... someone will buy that bass right out from under you. Seamus & Nino will not steer you wrong!

Besides, like Seamus said, you can always return it if you feel it's not for you.

I'll bet you don't though !! :D

7. As someone who took advantage of this sale price, I recommend that you get on the ball and buy one! MF has a 30 day return policy, all you would lose out on is the shipping cost. IMO, the Spector blows away the Warwick FNA. Also, as somone who paid "full price" for two CR Spector fivers, it was great to buy one so inexpensively. They are not scratch and dent, just left over '99 models that MF are blowing out. Apparently, dealers around the country were able to return left over models back to Spector in order to get the more visual appealing new Spectors with the crown inlays and all and in turn Spector made a deal with MF to blow out these basses. Once this deal is done, you may not find these basses prices so low for a very long time if ever!

BTW, the "FM" listed after "CR" means figured maple. Without the FM listed then the bass has a solid, non transparent finish.

8. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    anyone have a picture of the solid finished ones?

For $200 less, if it looks good, I will get it.

I dont want it to look like a toy with a crappy paint finish though

9. You mentioned the $900 sale price at www.musiciansfriend.com, the price is the same for both the "FM" and non figured maple basses. They have pictures you can click and enlarge on that site. Also, www.spectorbass.com also pay have pics as well. You can also do a dealer search on the Spector site.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The solid finishes are done vry well. Ive seen black & white. not the red. There is a black for $699 & others for $899.

11. Ah, I just went to the MF site and noticed they've lowered the price on the solid colors to $700 and the pics aren't now available. I'll try to locate some pics.

12. Go to www.intermusic.com then do a Spector search in the "guitar" category. You'll see a list of reviews. Click the Spector NS4CR and with the review, a small pic of a solid black finished Czech Spector will appear. Not the best pic but it should give you an idea!

13. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I just called mars and they just got a Czech 5 string in stock. I hope to go down tomorrow and check it out.

14. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Mars is about to start carrying some Spector models. Up to the CR models, and they'll also have the Koreans I think. They have been available online for a while but they finally made a deal to carry them in store, the 5 will sale for 1500.

So that's good news for everyone who hasn't had a Spector dealer around but does have a Mars.

15. I say definately go for it. Also, I think that the black looks real sweet. The whites not too shabby either, but i'm actually a big fan of the black spector. I say go with that.

16. Well I saw the price on MF and was totally aw-struck! I ordered a black czech 4 string for $699 and grabbed a blem Spector case for $103! This is still blowing my mind! The grand total for everything was $803.98 (the shipping is free). I hope this is as sweet as I think its gonna be (I know it will be). My little Spector family is starting to bud. Maybe I'll order a 5 string too...

17. Congrats, you definitely did the right thing and this WILL be your new main bass! This is a once in a life deal. I can guarantee you will not find a Spector of this quality for such a price ever again!!!
    Also, after you receive the bass and get it set up, be sure to tell us your review of it...

18. definately, we'll all be waitin for that one

19. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I really want to get the spector now, I am prancing back and forth waiting for mars to open up tomorrow for me to go and try one out.

Can someone give me a non prejudiced explanation on what the sound difference will be between the euro spector and the FNA i have now? Any comments like spector sounds like god and warwick sounds like crap only confuses me more...(or vice versa :) )

Thanks

20. According to your profile you already own the FNA. If that is true then I recommend that you bring the FNA with you when you try out the Spector so can hear the differences for yourself.

The Spector has 2 distinct advantages, 2 pickups to the single pickup on the FNA and the Spector is neck through which adds sustain. As far as tonality goes, I can explain the best to my ability but it difficuly to verbally describe a tone. Therefore, A/B test them yourself. Let us know the outcome!

BTW, print up the heavily discounted prices Spector from Musicians Friend so you can use the prices for negotiating leverage should you choose to buy.