The Czechtor is here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, May 29, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Just came from the post office, with my brand new Spector NS5CR!! :D

It's pretty sweet bass, I think the narrower neck and string spacing take a moment to get familiar with, plus I haven't had got to plug it in yet..

The thing is, it has mexican electronics! :confused:
    I have no idea why they diden't use EMGs on these, but as the price was $500, I'm not whining :cool:

Just need to get Schaller strap locks for it tonight and then it's all ready to go.

Johnny Boom Boom, did you get yours already?

And no digicam so no pics, sorry :(
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok, an update on the situation.

Got Schaller straplocks from the store, and while I was there, the clerk came to me and told me my Rotosound flats have arrived, but wanted $15 for them even if the store had promised them for no charge(because of the Kingston incident) Well, $15 is still a good price for them so I walked out with the locks and the flats, but my wallet $30 lighter :rolleyes:

I wasen't very impressed with the factory strings which were some sort of steel rounds.

Ok, got home, put on the straplocks, changed the strings to Rotos and.. WOW!! What a difference! Now this is what I call punchy! Actually, I played it through Korg Pandora and thought to myself 'Now this is what a good bass should sound like' :D

The electronics hiss somewhat when I boost treble or bass, I can't even imagine what the bass would sound with good electronics.. :eek: I may have to slap on Bartolinis or EMGs later this summer :cool:

BTW, I think any Ibanez EDB owner would feel home on this one. It's like EDB on steroids.

And what's it worth, it's excatly like the bass here:

3. WOW! u got a sweet deal! Definatly put some EMGs in that thing!!!
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have a ssd ns-94
    and it sounds awsome also!!
    it has emg-hz's and is acitve tho.
    maybe this helps.
    is that bass korean?
    or i am guessing czech.
    (my family is from czech!!)
    only $500!!
    i payed $425 used for mine and that was a deal!!
    at least i was told.
    mine is a neckthrough is yours?

5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey Steve, it's Czech neck-through allright!

The reason I got it so cheap is because they are made here in Europe(I got it from Germany) and they are discontinuing the model.. Musicians Friend in the States sold or sells their Czechs out too, their price for these is $999, it costs a lot to ship them over the Atlantic, and all the taxes and fares on that..

I think your bass has better pickups tho, mine don't even have any name on them! I'm replacing them soon.

BTW Steve, I saw you wanting something different to play.. I think your Spector is good, but try flatwounds on it. They cost more than your average strings(but less than a new bass) but they give nice dark sound and last much longer than roundwounds. Rotosound 77s on mine have special metal that makes them brighter than usual flats.

6. Yeah, I got mine!!!! I ordered a 4 string and a 5 string!!! Some interesting points, I'll start with the 5 string :-

It has SSD bass on the headstock, no Schallers (I've just fitted a set), strings were - but I have just bought a set of Rotos to put on it in the near future. There was no statement on the rear of the headstock showing it was made in the Czech republic, although the box it came in cleared that up. Plays every bit as well as my NS5CR that is defiunitely Czech, sounds OK but EMGs are definitely going in at some future date. The controls are different to my other NS5CR - the one I just got has Volume, Pan, Treble and Bass, whereas my Blue one has 2 Volumes and Treble and Bass. Weird !?!?!?!

Now the 4 stringer that I got, is closer to the current model, in that it has the current Spector logo on the headstock, and has the statement about the Czech republic amd Stuart Spector's signature on the back of the headstock! It didn't have Schaller's but it does have EMG HZ pickups.

To be honest I'm impressed with them both, especially for the price - less than I would pay for the Korean models here in Biritain!!:)
  7. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    What Kingston incident? Have I missed something?
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    TRU, the incident was when I bought mine. It was the first time they were seen here, and I bought mine as the first person in northern Finland. However, they diden't have one with the maple fretboard, so they gave me one with rosewood until my bass would arrive. "Few weeks" they said. Now, this was in November I belive, and after many calls I finally got my maple 'boarded Kingsy at January! :mad: It seems like the shipment was actually lost somewhere for a brief time etc. So the store promised me something extra for waiting, and I asked for Roto 77s. Sure, they said. And then I waited my Rotos for another three months.. :rolleyes:

It was actually sold to me by Jan-Olof Stranberg, one of the artists with support deal from EBS. Nice guy, but apparently has scottish nature when it comes to money ;)

Johnny, mine had no straplocks, has Schaller tuners tho, AND has the Spector licence thing on the back of the headstock. No serial to be found. I peeked in the cavity, do you know if the pre-amp is EMG, it sure looks like one?

It sure has good construction, actually I wonder why don't they put laquer on the fretboard, on the sides the grain under laquer looks awesome. And what are these inlays anyway.. Looks to me like abalone but I have never seen abalone in nature so I can't say for sure. They look like pearloid but with red and green hue when light hits em.
  9. Hmmm, does your bass have the new Spector logo on the headstock or SSD??? Not sure if the preamp is EMG - I'll need to compare it with my other one!

Not sure if a lacquered rosewood fretboard would feel right, as for the dots inlays, I think they are abalone - but am not 100% sure. I think the serial no. in mine is under the control cavity cover!
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It has SSD logo, and on the back is "Precision crafted under licence in Czech Republic"-text with Stuart Spector signature.

Nothing under the cover plate, on the backside of the plate there's just shielding foil. According to Mr. Spector, the electronics might be EMGs becuse they have mexican circuitboards which EMG uses. It makes sense too, korean preamp would probably have korean parts.
  11. Hmmm, mine doesn't have the statment and signature on the back fo the headstock!

Haven't checked out the pre-amp yet, but I know that the EMG DC40 pickups are about £85 ($115) each! The preamp is a similar price over here!
  12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    do you think if i were to send my bass to stuart spector he would sign it on the front of the bass?

13. You could always pitch the question to him in Luthier's Corner!:)
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned alot of Czech Spector's. Most of them had the "Precision crafted under licence in Czech Republic"-text with Stuart Spector signature & the serial & in the control plate. A few did not. My 1st one had neither. No serial #, no mention of country of origin. I aslo had a natural oil NS-4 CR that had a sticker on the hadstock that said "Made in the Czech Republic" & there was a serial #. All the one's I've owned had EMG pickups & preamps, except the current one that has the Aguilar OBP-1. I's guessing that he made a some for the european market w/out Schaller & EMG's to keep the cost down, but I can't be certian.

No matter what, a Czech Spector is a Czech Spector & they are, IMO better than most basses that cost twice as much as the list price!!!!!

15. I agree, I cannot think what would make a better bass, I can only think of equal but different basses!

(Note: I haven't had the chance to try USA Spectors, and you don't see many Sadowsky or Conklins in my neck of the woods!)
  16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the next bass i buy is going to be a spector!!!
    i never would have thought it!

17. Me too - probably!!!