Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Da Vinci Code/Knights Templar

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Anyways...

So, all this stuff about the Knights Templar and stuff... I'm getting into it all, to an extent.

Can someone explain what the Knights Templar is? From what I can gather, something about poor Knights who protect the true identity of Jesus?

And the Da Vinci code... what is this madness?

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Read the DaVinci Code and you will answer both questions. There is a pretty good summation of Knights Templar in there. It's a very quick, easy, and entertaining read.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I've not read the Da Vinci code, I dont know what is written in there, so I dont know if its true whats written there.

Many orders of knights were established during the Crusades, to protect the Holy Land. Such were the teutonic Knights Templars, as were the Hospitallers. However, the Knights Templars were the most known and they were quite succesful in battles; they also preyed during their attacks and accumulated a nice amount of gold, and had a great wealth even after the Crusades ended.
    In the end, that was their end. In 1324, the French king, Philip (the Beautiful - translation? - I'm not sure about its translation to English...) was in deep debt, so he took the gold of the Templars and burned their Grand Master, and sent all the Knights away.
    (When the Grand Master was burned, he cursed Philip - who died later that year...)

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The Da Vinci Code is fiction but it's filled with 90% fact. A very good read that will lead to to find out more for yourself.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I read it's about the other way around. Wherein the author took a few facts and things, and then went to town on speculation.

I could be wrong, but that's what a few people have told me.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Regardless, it was a very good book IMO.. Very entertaining which is what it's supposed to be, right??

;)

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The Knights Templar = The Knights of the Temple of Solomon

The Templars are important to history for more than being a fighting religious order. They were given the task of guarding the loot that came out of the Middle East during the Crusades. They established fortified castles throught most of Europe where the loot was stored. Those castles also served as some of Europes first banks. One of the English Henry's (II?) made a large donation to the Templars, establishing them as a wealthy order (despite the fact that they took an oath of poverty as individuals) and they eventually took over the administration of the financial affairs of many European monarchs and the Papacy(including the French King and Pope that was their undoing!).

They, in a sense, became the first corporation in old Europe. They were also one of the most important banking institutions in history. Many of the basic financial functions of modern banks were offered by the Templars. As in all Western cultures, money equals power, and the Templars were a very powerful organization.

Enter a greedy Pope and an equally greedy French king. They conspired to get ahold of the Templars' fortunes. They started what amounted to a public relations campaign to discredit the order. The knights were accused of all sorts of heinous crimes:

1. Making pacts of brotherhood with Muslims

2. Worshipping a cat

3. Having sex with each other and with the corpses of noblepeople

4. Harvesting infants for scared oils for pagan ceremonies

Not exactly shocking in our day, but back then it was extremely effective. The order leaders were burned at the stake and the order dissolved through Papal decree. Both the Pope and the French king were dead within a year. Go figure! Modern banking would not see another such organization until the 15th century, when the Italian banking families (the most famous is the Medici) would provide similar services, but on a much smaller scale.

I believe that the Templars are also the order that served up much of the mythology that became the basis of the Masonic order. Their location at the Temple of Solomon gave them an excuse to begin looking for the Arc of the Covenant (the container for the Ten Commandments) which kind of blurs into the Arthurian legends and the quest for the Holy Grail (which leads to Mallory and Monty Python).

9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    www.davidicke.com

Don't remember if this site covers KnT in depth, but it's still a ridiculously interesting site. Read with an open mind and a pinch of salt.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If you like the Di VInci code and want to read something a little more "well written" that deals with very similar themes (but not in such a pulp fiction kinda way)...try Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. It deals with a lot of sects and the history and interaction of those sects (ie Masons, Rosicurians Templars etc) - but like the Da Vinci Code it is a work of fiction...if you are genuinley interested I have been told that Da Vinci code is not a particuarly reliable "factual" source - there are hitorical books on point.

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    No, he took a huge amount of facts...

..and then went to town on speculation.

Still a good read.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I keep meaning to get around to it.

13. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I am reading the Da vinci code right now, I really love it, great book.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you want some pretty facinating stuff on the Knights Templar, Masons, Illuminati, secret societies, and the Jesus cover-up, try reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Baingent, Leigh, and Lincoln. It'll blow your mind, and it's all factual.

15. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Edit by Jazzbo.

I decided to delete the post since there were all sorts of spoilers, and I know that several people in this thread mentioned they're either currently reading the book or want to read the book. I hope this is okay Mark, I just didn't want anyone's enjoyment of the book spoiled.

16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Holy Blood, Holy Grail has been completely and thoroughly debunked. It isn't taken seriously by scholars, even by rabid atheists. It just replaces one charade with another.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Jazzbo

My post was about Holy Blood, Holy Grail and not the Da Vinci Code (which I havent actually read) - I assume you mistook that? However if I inadvertantly revealed a plot point of Da Vinci Code - I guess there no point in me reading it now!

Any event, no great loss! :D

18. Wow, I've spent the past hour or so reading things from that library....thats really interesting stuff. Surprised its on rotten.com though.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know. It's a wonderful repository of information, and presented in a manner that's not dry and boring, unlike most texts.

The kicker is that they're all correct, or as correct as things get. I did some research on a couple of those articles, and I'll be damned, but they were right in the first place. I've had it bookmarked for a little over a year now, and still enjoy reading the old articles. Because so many are self-refercial, you start in ONE place, and can get "lost" for hours.

A spectacular waste of time.

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Source?