The damage of smoke

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Does anyone know if (pot) smoke can damage basses in anyway like with the pickups?
  2. It might damage the user, but not pickups. Unless you get too stoned and break them or rip them out of the bass. :)
  3. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I think smoke can damage pots. But it would be like a housefire type/density of smoke. dirty electonics can be cleaned with parts cleaner for the most part.
  4. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    But of course, he doesn't actually smoke weed, he's just curious,right?
  5. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    It all depends on how often the bass smokes. :D

keep groooovin'
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Cigarette smoke may yellow the finish.
  7. Don't you mean he tried it once but did not inhale :D

8. on a white bass , they tend to go yellow if exposed to too much smoke
  9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I had a blonde strat at one point that got much darker when owned by a smoker.

It stank too.
  10. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    ive never had a problem with it and i have a lot of basses and a lot of... well you get the idea. just watch out for the law!
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    As long as you're not pulling tubes and exhaling directly into or on your bass, you should be fine. Pot smoke doesn't stick around nearly as long as cigarette smoke (and it won't turn curtains and walls yellow, gross). I'd be a lot more worried about smoke getting into your amp/speakers. Hehe, this could give a whole new meaning to the term 'smoky upright'.
  12. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    it makes it think it's playing something brilliant until you play back the recording a day later.
  13. I work on computers a lot, and I can tell instantly when I open one up if the owner smokes a lot around it. They always have these big nasty, gummy dust balls. I don't think it harms the electronics too much, but it'll sure kill fans and probably anything else that moves. Since I've been exposed to that, I always open a window and ventilate if I smoke inside the house; thus my stuff doesnt get too dingy/stinky/dusty.
  14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    We have a guitar shop where I live and the owner smokes all day inside, right next to the $8000 (AU) Gibsons he sells. What a tool.
  15. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    If smoke really did damage instruments, then Keith Richards' Teles should be unplayable by now. ;) :bag:
  16. The pot smoke itself won't hurt anything, but you DEFINITELY need to find out what's making the pots smoke. Are you hooking the bass up to your power amp output by mistake?

Even with an active bass, the 9 or 18v battery onboard shouldn't put out enough current to make the pot smoke. Something is seriously going wrong here....

17. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I was all set to post another sarcastic reply when I realized I wasn't sure if you were being funny intentionally or not. :meh: ;) :p
  18. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Bugger, ill have yellower basses then. My dad is a frequent smoker :bawl:
  19. im guessing they probably get some grit on the strings after a while, but probably not anythign more than what you get on them from sweat, dust, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.