1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The dangers of freshly grated chesse!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rtslinger, Jun 7, 2012.

1. The dangers of freshly grated cheese!
    If you haven’t guessed yet where this thread is going it is the dangerous job of grating your on cheese!
    Yup helping make dinner last night I was grating the Parmigiano-Reggiano as any fine Italian knows you don’t use store bought grated cheese in the can you have to grate it yourself! Anyway Parmigiano-Reggiano can be slippery so you need to be real careful grating the cheese by hand one distraction and you can end up taking the tip of you fretting hand thumb off like I did last night! I took chucks out of my thumb that left 3 flaps of skin you like grated cheese? And part of my thumb nail. It as you would have guess by now would not stop bleeding I held the large flap on to the area hoping it would connect back since it is very deep down to the subcutaneous (or your third layer of skin) you know you are there where you see the fat not good place to be. I held my hand higher than my heart to stop the bleeding. After that I put a band-aid on it. This morning it did not look that bad and two extra smaller flaps I cut away with surgical scissors (not fun but had to be done catching on everything.) The larger flap seems to have adhered to the area so I am hoping it takes. I put medical powder on it before putting the band-aid back on. I have a show to do Sat night right now it is real tender but I am thinking I will use one of those rubber finger covers over it for the gig. So be careful out there people you never know what is out there! Cheese grater who would have thunk it. Picture from this morning

2. Well that was silly!

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Here's the mandatory mention of duct tape and/or superglue.

;)

4. Yeah if the large flap doesn't take the super glue is at the ready hoping since it was down into the fat tissue I will get a good connection very pink and healthly

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah but what I wanna know is how the dinner tasted with thumb in it?

6. I disposed of the cheese.I had already grated some without incident prior to the accident but, you know you can never have enough freshly grated cheese!

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Score another point for the "home furnishings" in the "home furnishings" vs "terrorists" tally. Those terrorists are really lagging behind! :D

8. Yup Home Furnishing and I would like to add kids ride on toys that you need to put together danger for the kids and the person trying to screw that low grade screw they give you that always strips out. But the kid is crying and you got to get that screw in there next thing you know you are bleeding! You give up because your bleeding and the screw won't go in or come out till the kid is riding and the part comes off and you and the kid are in the emergency room.

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Cheap screws caused me much distress in my younger day...

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    wallacecheese_7.jpg

11. CHEESE IT WILL SURELY BE THE DEATH OF ME YET!

12. My poor family has unknowingly eaten untold ounces (pounds?) of my skin from careless Parmigiano Reggiano grating. Most of the time there is no way you are finding it in the cheese, and I would never dare throw any of that cured gold out.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A grand day out.

14. If it was for me only Baba I would have eaten it, the Zombie thing seems to be in these days.lol

15. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Coordination is your friend... :D

16. Yeah but distraction (kids) is your enemy who's trying to kill who and the next thing you know the tip of your thumb is gone lol Next time I'm wearing my safety cut protect glove 100% stainless steel metal mesh butcher gloves no I'm not a butcher but I do play one on TV ha ha ha

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont think Ive ever cut myself on the cheese grater. The vegetable peeler on the other hand...

18. Reminds me of last weekend when at the river kayaking with friends and I stop to pee and open another beer only to realize that my lighter had been stolen (Harlots!) and so I half drunkenly tried to use a rock to pry open the cap in the same way I do the lighter. Wouldn't you know it? that idea was STUPID! The neck of the bottle right where I was tightly gripping it essentially shattered in my hand and I proceed to squeeze the heck outta the broken glass. Cut my fretting index finger pretty deep, and not having any medical supplies or really much of anything I had to tear a piece of plastic bag and use it as a tourniquet to stop the bleeding and row the remaining 3 miles...

19. Distraction plus Parmigiano-Reggiano
    is quite oily can lead to missing body parts it is right there on page 172 of Lidia Bastianich cooking with Lidia
    cheese grater in question is one of the flat ones like this
    not the nice big one with the handle.

[​IMG]

I was doomed from the get.