1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Dark Side of Roger Waters

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
  2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Cool.

He looks like Eric Roberts...

3. I for one, will not be going to any of these concerts...mainly because he isn't coming anywhere near me :)

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I might have to catch his Tweeter Center performance. It's really close to my birthday... :)

That would be the Yang to my Yin of seeing Pink Floyd (sans Waters) at Yankee Stadium in '94. Pink Floyd did much of DSotM that evening.

5. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    id love to see this

I respect dave gilmour much more than i do roger waters, but he is a great musician

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Funny. I thought he was supposed to take Nick Mason on tour. Ah well....

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    He should alternate nights doing Meddle and Animals ... then I'd go.

8. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm going to the PNC show. Should be great.

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I read that too and might have posted it here. Oh well, maybe next time - it's still a much better show than Gilmour & Friends IMHO.

I think even Gilmour would buy a ticket if they were doing Meddle and Animals....well, maybe not, ho ho ho.

10. Man, the show is coming to the same venue that I saw my first show (Verison Wireless Center, Nobelsville, IN, PHISH!!!). I don't think I would let myself live it down if I missed that. I've got to find a was to get a ride to a venue 5 hours away, and the like 80 bucks that its gonna cost for tickets...

11. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    He shouldn't be doing Dark Side, Gilmour did most of the singing on that one. He should do Animals of the Wall.

12. i hope to be going to the shoreline show in mtn view,ca in october! the dvd he put out a few years ago is fantastic. the show was filmed in portland, oregon around 2002 or so. just amazing.

13. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    yeah that pesky thing called writing the whole record should not be enough to give Waters the right to perform the album . . . Gilmour did go to all that trouble to sing it and all.

sorry for the sarcasm, but come on, any record between the Barrett period and the Gilmour period--which pretty much includes all the records that defined Pink Floyd as we know it, Waters has every right to play in its entirety (the question is, what right does Gilmour, Mason, and Wright have to play any tunes from that period?).

Unfortunately, for the three "sidemen", nobody really wants to hear A Momentary Lapse of Reason or Division Bell played in its entirety. I guess losing your songwriter does cause the music's quality to deteriorate -- never would have guess that one.

bass players should know better.

14. +1000000000000000000000000000000

Anything after Water's absence just isn't the same for me. I hated Divsion Bell. It sounded nothing like Pink Floyd. Reminded me more of Kenny G.

But Water's is the credit behind most of PF's writing. From the Wall, to Dark Side, to Animals, Wish You Where Here. Water's had the biggest effect on that music. Yeah, it had to do with the whole band clicking during the writing process, but Water's was the driving force. HE CAN PLAY WHATEVER HE DAMN WELL WANTS TO!!!!:D

And yeah, Gilmour did do alot of those vocals, but would it really alter the feel of the album THAT much for Water's to do the vocals?

15. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I do love Gilmour's vocals and guitarwork, but I saw Roger on the In the Flesh tour and frankly he wasn't missed (Roger or other members of the band handled Gilmour's vocals quite well).

16. Exactly. I have the In The Flesh DVD, and they do a great job of covering for David Gilmour. Who ever is playing lead guitar on the red Strat (I can't recal his name) does a great job of his guitar work, and I almost prefer his tone, which suprised even me.