1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The "Dave" factor

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TMB, Apr 20, 2009.

1. TMB

TMB

Nov 25, 2008
    Greetings fellow rhythm section people!

Speaking as a drummer (bass players best friend - gotta stick together, huh?), I just wanted to know if all bass players are called "Dave", either actually or secretly... Over two thirds of all the bands I've been in over the last 30 years have featured bassists bearing that name - one band had three consecutive Daves!!!

Also, why is the bass guy always chief van-packer?

Your thoughts...?

2. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    My name is Dave.
    Actually played in a band once called Dave on Bass.:rollno:

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Dave's not here.

4. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    A lot of drummers I work with are named Dave.

5. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    I wanna know why all Nu-Metal (or whatever it's called) bands have bass players with those mid-calf "shorts", a tat on the leg, and are bald/shaven with a silly little beard. And a 5-string.

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

you can call me Dave ...

:D

7. Dave-Action-Fig

Dave-Action-Fig

Nov 28, 2006
    My name is Dave.
    And I play bass.

It just sounds great!

8. yep.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Another Dave on bass here. (Just don't call me Dave in front of my mom. Drives her crazy. It's David in front of her.)

10. gratt

gratt

Oct 13, 2007
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Only ever played with a Dave on sax and another on guitar. But if I remember correctly the Planet Smashers have a Dave on bass..

11. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My friends call me Nick, but you can call me Dave

12. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Bass players usually have the best math skills in the band. So we understand how to maximize the cubic footage during the load up. Thus, we become chief van-packer. ;)

13. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I played in a church band a few years back in which it seemed no one could get my name right and I'd get called Dave instead of James. Even the band leader there labeled my folder of music as "Dave". I eventually stopped fighting it.

...Then again, there's too many James Millers playing bass it seems, so rather than Dave, I decided to go by Jay Arthur. I guess I could have done Dave Arthur...but I can only imagine where those initials would have gotten me.

14. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    (*raises hand*)

My name is Dave, and I'm a bass player.

15. Me too.

16. Got a dave here too! I don't pack vans though...only my own gear!

17. why is every guitarist called nick?

18. My name is Dave and I play bass. I am also obsessive about the packing of the gear, but mainly to make sure the idiots don't smash my DB.

19. "Hello Dave" (in unison)

20. While I'm not Dave, (Names Andrew but the only people that call me that are my parents) I am the guy in charge of loading the truck. It's less to do with math skills, and more to do with me being anal retentive about getting all the gear in their safely and making sure it all fits and I don't trust anyone else to do it.