..The Dawn Is Coming..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Mar 12, 2004.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ..the dawn of the dead remake anyhow!

I'm not sure if its re-worked by Romero or handed over to a new guy but what I do know is that the original (I'd never have thiough I'd be referring to it as that; other than regarding the numerous directors cuts), is the definitive zombie film.

It hits the UK cinemas on friday so I think I'll leave my house fort he first time in about 3 years to go!

I thought I'd post as I know there's a few zombie/horror film fans on here :)
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I thought Rob Zombie did this recently?

3. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    No, he did 'house of 1000 corpses' which to be honest wasn't too great. I knew it'd be a bit naff from the moment a horror invloved clowns (aimed at misguided 14 year old korners by anychance?).

Note that comment about korn fans was observation based so don't go crying that I'm being an ****wipe! :D
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    oh.....my bad.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The ORIGINAL black and white NOTLD is the best of the series... the Original DOTD was pretty lame, so this has to be an improvement. I think most of the horror is just gonna be Zombies coming out of no where... And they will ruin it by making the zombies fast and actually dangerous. Screw that. Zombies are slow and functionally retarded. By making the zombies fast and dangerous, it makes it not even a real zombie flick.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

You mean Inane Clown Posse, or possible slipknot?

I love zombies flicks.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'm excited to see it, although I doubt it will be anywhere as good as the original, or Day of the Dead for that matter. I recently bought Lucio Fulci's "Zombie"-another slow-paced but classic zombie movie.
  9. looks like a good popcorn movie*.

*popcorn movie: movie you see just to waste time, yet turns out to be quite entertaining.
  10. I'm going to laught at all the people and be insanely loud when obvious things will happen.

Change is good :D
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Another remake. Yawn. Is Hollywood totally out of ideas?
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

What we need is another black-cop-meets-white-cop comedy... wait. No we dont.

Uh... How about a movie where an astroid is about to hit the earth? Nah...

They could make a Birdman movie... I'd see that.
  13. P. Aaron

Call it..."Birdman of Alcatraz", something like that.
  14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I just saw Dawn of the Dead for the first time last night. I wasn't superbly impressed. I liked Night of the Living Dead better. I think Dawn of the Dead had some good moments, but to me it dragged. It certainly seemd longer than the two hours it was listed as, in any case.
  15. P. Aaron

The original was definately something special. "Dawn" was fun, for what it was. How could one make it/take it serious(ly)? It was playing off the folly of mall shopping and what you see there. That's where the "camp" came in, and I thought it worked.

I imagine the "newer-better" version will be "serious", and "scary", and have "better" effects.

Why is Hollywood in such a "re-make" mode? It's similar to the "re-mixing" phase that pop-rock went through.

There's no "free-hand" of creativity with the big production companies it seems.
  16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I hear ya. The thought of sprinting zombies doesn't sit well with me. I thought the original Dawn was halfa$$. That music they played when they were driving around the mall cleaning out the zombies ruined the whole mood of the film. They might as well have played the Carpenters.

The whole thing I like about zombies is that they're a force, not just one monster. A lone zombie is pretty wimpy. Giving them the ability to run changes the whole zombie dynamics I'm used to too much.
  17. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    HaHa, I think it was mainly Rob Zombie fans...I thought the movie sucked, and oh yeah....Juggalo Love!!!

This movie is going to be good though, even if they dont make it true to the zombie persona, at the very least it will be a pretty good action/thriller.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Theory of mine, in no way quantified:

Hollywood isn't art, it's a numbers game. Who makes more money than who? can they recoup? Can there be a sequel? Merchandice? Profit?

So they look at the numbers. Starsky and Hutch was popular in it's day, so it might be bankable. Dawn of the Dead is a classic, so there might be nostalgia dollars, if not cult-fanbase dollars. Hollywood is remaking everything, because the originals have numbers behind them. Rental numbers, theater gross, TV ratings, cult web pages, ect.

So, they don't "gamble" with art, they look at what has made money, and what could make money, and especially now that Baby boomers are getting into those major-CEO positions, they're looking to themselves (again!) for what they think they can take to the bank.

Which is why they're remaking everything in sight. Because they don't have to take a chance, they can make a feasible and/or reasonable economic projection of how the movie might do; and that is always preferable than taking a chance.

Shame too.
  19. P. Aaron

Sounds about right. Plus, the groundwork is already laid, throw in a few special effects and: SHAZAM! The studio's lights stay on for another month, at little risk and expense from R&D. "Why not just shut that wing of the studio down?"
    It's just tiresome. The only loss is the chance that an original idea could gel in production and a great film could be made. But as pointed out earlier, that's risky

Recording companies are going/have gone this way too.