1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Death Cab for Cutie thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mc_muench, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Any Death Cab fans out there?

They're my favorite band of all time, pretty much anything Ben Gibbard touches musicly will likely be a favorite, but none of my friends really like them as much as I do, and think its annoying when I talk to them about it, I can talk about them 24/7. Yes, I admit I may be a little obsessed with them, but for good reason! I did a search for a thread like this one but nothing came up, so without further a due, here is the all things, Death Cab, Postal Service, Ben Gibbard discussion thread!

First I guess, what's your favorite album?

Mine is Transatlantism

2. upandb

upandb

Feb 18, 2009
    CT and NY
    I only know a handful of their songs, courtesy of my cousin. She showed me I Will Follow You Into The Dark years ago. I'm also a pretty big fan of I Will Possess Your Heart and The Ice Was Getting Thinner.

I don't know too many others much though, although I did download all the albums on Zune. Just been too busy listening to other stuff haha

3. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    yeah sure!

my favorite is Transatlantisism and then The Photo Album, but I didn't like their last album that much.

great band, though.

4. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I thought Codes and Key was good, but partly because the band I was in when it came out, was very much like it. But Transatlanticism IMHO is a perfect album, every song is spot on, and I could listen to it on repeat for pretty much forever...

How was everyone's feelings on Narrow Stairs? I know I love it, but some hated it.

5. 03leigj

03leigj

May 23, 2011
    One of my favourite bands in the world, amazing live, real nice bass tone. So many favourite songs by them, for bass nicks best stuff has been we looked like giants, crooked teeth, I will possess Your heart, summer skin etc, oh and doors unlocked and open from codes and keys, though I think the bass sound for that one live could've been better.

6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I really like them. Their "Storytellers" TV program was great. They started off obviously quite nervous, telling the stories of their various songs, but really got comfortable towards the end. The bass player had his back to the audience a lot tho. Great band. They make Bellingham proud.

7. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Doors unlocked and Open is an amazing song especially for bassists!

I've seen them live twice, one right after Narrow Stairs came out, and the next right after the Open Door EP came out. I was Front row right in fornt of Ben for the later, also that show was only $5. Both times they were great! I was going to go see them in Chicago at the MET this past August, but I couldn't find anyone to go with...

8. eekmeg

eekmeg

Aug 15, 2008
    Texas
    Nick Hamer & Jason McGerr are definitely a rhythm section to be reckoned with. The groove those two create is infectious... Someday You Will be Loved, What Sarah Said, Summer Skin...

9. Trivia Question: Where does their name come from?

10. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know "Death Cab for Cutie" is the name of a song, by who I don't know, but my guess is that they are named after the song

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Dig the band... my favorite seems to be whichever I happen to be listening to at the time. I think I listen to "Narrow Stairs" most... but not by much.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Great band to listen to, but very hard to watch! They are too herky jerky!

13. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I haven't heard enough to be a fan or say I know anything about them, but I can say that the 8-minute version of "I Will Possess Your Heart" is awesome. That bass line in and of itself is rather juvenile, but as the song builds around it it becomes a work of genius in it's simplicity and in the mood it carries.

As for the name... Google is your friend.

14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Definitely a great band, though I don't listen to them enough to call myself a DCfC "fan." The only albums I've heard are Narrow Stairs and Plans, like them both. I'd definitely go see them if I had the chance.

Yes it is:
    --wikipedia

15. 03leigj

03leigj

May 23, 2011
    I've seen them twice also, but all this year, since I only got a chance recently, I've liked them for years, one of the few bands I've never been disapointed by in terms of new releases, I saw them supporting foo fighters at the milton keynes bowl, then on their own in manchester. I have to say, at the bowl they sounded amazing, I think they played great both time but at the bowl their sound was massive! Surprisingly it really suited the venue, which is stadium size pretty much. And they played a great variety of songs, was really shocked when they played 'we laugh indoors'.

16. 03leigj

03leigj

May 23, 2011
    Oh yeah, forgot to say, my favourite album is Plans I'd say, maybe, though narrow stairs closely follows, I think those albums have no bad songs on them, all top quality, Ben Gibbard is a lyrical God.

17. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    +1000000000000...
    Couldn't agree with you more!

And I guess my guess was right!

18. Totally dig these guys. Got to see them at the El Rey in Los Angeles a few months back - I think there were only a couple hundred people there, very small intimate venue. Way cool.

I dig the last album, and I also like Narrow Stairs a bit too. Cath...is my most played song in itunes with a little over 300 plays.

I'm sick, I know...

19. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    "I Will Possess Your Heart" is one of the songs that inspired me to pick up the bass. Simple but addictive line with amazing tone. I remember this song and heavy smoke filling my friend's room when I was in high school. ;) I always get a little nostalgic when I listen to them.