1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Decemberists- The Hazards of Love

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Captain_Arrrg, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Anyone else pick this up? I had no idea it existed before Amazon recommended it to me last night, and I couldn't be happier.

When I was listening to The Crane Wife I realized that they had allot of potential to get really progressive, and only wished they would dive hear-first into those waters while retaining their literary lyricism. My dreams have come to fruition in the form of The Hazards of Love, a 59 minute continuous suite broken up into 17 movements. Think The Train, but more epic.

As for it's content, it's about a woman named Margret who saves a fawn that's actually a shape-shifter. They fall in love, she is kicked out of her home, she moves to the forest with him... I think. It's a Grimm's Fairy Tales sort of story that is hard to get in the mere two play-throughs I've put into it.

I do dig how they establish and utilize themes in the composition, and for the first time in a Decemberists album, the bass has a huge presence. From moody upright playing to in-your-face fuzz (is that a devi ever pedal?).

More plays are necessary before I'll truly wrap my head around this work... What are your thoughts on it?

2. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    they rock!

3. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Indeed they do. Any other thoughts?

4. The Decemberists' are probably the best band in the world at the moment. Their storytelling, instrumentation, melodies and harmonies are like musical crack. I discovered them when "Picaresque" came out and have since tracked down everything they've ever done. They have no weaknesses and will probably be looked back upon as being as great as the Beatles!

5. The Tain, not Train. ;)

6. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I absolutely love this album. Progressive folk is the BEES KNEES. I can see how its harder to get into for most early Decemberists fans, but after a few listens I really started to dig it.