Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Deep End - Govt Mule

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jimmysquid, Jan 3, 2002.

1. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    BP had a big article about this one. I haven't heard anything off it yet. Sounds like it should be great.

Has anyone bought the cd yet, and if so, what do you think?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i heard it in a CD store, its pretty good, i like it, i didn't get it though

bp13

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I got it for Christmas. Although I've been a HUGE Gov't Mule fan since before they recorded their first CD together, I'm just not really warming up to this one. It's a totally new vibe without Woody, and lots of the spartan, visceral qualities I liked about the Mule are lost in the new format with keys and lots of guests. Really, all the blurbs in BP about the guest bassists are overdone...Deep End really doesn't highlight those bassists very well, IMO.

4. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I've been a HUGE Mule fan since '96 and I have to say that this is a pretty good effort from them. I miss Woody but it is nice to hear some other bassists takes on Warren's material. I like this release better than their last studio effort, "Life Before Insanity". "Deep End Vol.1" seems to have more variety in the writing, while I felt that LBI had too many mid tempo/slow songs. I reccommend it highly. Warren Haynes is one bad dude and if you get a chance to see them live, don't pass it up. You won't regret it.;)

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Actually, this album sounds like Warren's solo album to me...much more so than a Mule album. That's not necessarily a bad thing, either. I love both, just differently.