Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Deepest - let's hear some votes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by astoria, Jan 23, 2005.

1. astoria

astoria

Jan 23, 2005
    I am playing real dance / trance / electronic /funk techno, and I want to hear your votes on what bass head gives the deepest serious low end. Some of us need real action under 100 hertz. Opionions, anyone?!?!?

Thanks!

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you want powerful and tight low end, EA iAmp-800 or ThunderFunk whatever (TBF420 or TBF550).

Glockenklang heads are supposed to be excellent as well.

3. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    If I were doing something like that I wouldn't worry too much about what head I had but I'd think about something like a DBX120a subharmonic sythesiser and a sub that could handle the lows it would put out. As long as the head was decent it wouldn't matter too much after you put it through that DBX.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If going low is the objective you may want to look at cabinets.

Acme, Accu-Groove, Bag End ELF maybe?

No point in putting it in if you can't get it out.

I've got a bunch of Acme and it doesn't really matter whats on top of them. They get WAY down there.

5. Yep, your head's not going to be the limiting factor, it'll be the cabinet.

Be forewarned, tons of extremely deep low end can play havoc with the band's sound. It's real easy to get lots of mud, I don't think you want mud.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    These guys are correct.

The cabs (&/or PA speaker system) you use are more likely to be the limiting factor than the head (except you will need some serious Watts to get what it sounds like you're looking for unless you use some really efficient speakers).

All the cabs mentioned are good.

The Schroeder 21012 or 3101212 will kick out some great low end and get very loud (as would two 1212 or a 1212 + a 1210 -- these are each 4ohm cabs so you'd need an amp that could handle the resultant loads).

If you have a good, powerful PA system with good subs, just run your bass through the PA (with a good stage monitor or good small stage rig).

7. Are you recording or playing live? I just recorded some basslines for a friends house/electro project useing the direct out of my swr bass 350. I dialed in a dubby bass tone that was shy in the mids (thinking it would serve that type of music best). It sounded pretty good in the mix through his studio monitors. However, when he preformed a "live" set with that material at a local club the bass was lost in the mix. Turns out that the club p.a. had the mid frequencies eq'd out of it by the fellow doing sound. A little low mid bump in my bass sound would have cut through better. Bass frequencies are trippy....a lot of times frequencies in the 100-250hz range can give the impression of deep bass. I guess what I'm getting at is while low bass frequencies are very, very cool , they don't always work in the mix or in certain live situations.

8. Also, you HAVE to check out the Electro Harmonix Bass Microsynth. It's an all analog synth pedal/envelope filter/sub octive generator that would be great for the type of music you're doing. Sick sounds!

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    A rack rig may actually serve you better, but of the heads that I have tried, nothing matches the tight low end of the iAMP 800. The Walter Woods Ultra has gobs of low end, too, but they are more roundish, and slightly tube like, which is very musical, but perhaps not what you are after.

But as stated, your cabs are going to be quite the limiting factor. ACME and Accugroove cabs both go very deep and are very full sounding. You would probably be quite happy with a cab from either of them (though the ACME's do require more juice). That said, the tightest, most clear, and most subterranean lows I have ever coaxed out of a bass cab come from two EA VL-210's. The louder they get, the deeper they sound. I don't know if this is a "transmission line thing" or if it's a "VL-210 thing", but it is impressive. Other cabs may sound more full on the low end, but for tightness and overall depth of tone, it's hard to beat two VL-210's, in my experience. Of course, they like a good bit of power, also. Most of the time, I would power two VL-210's with my rack rig, which is 3,000 watts into 4 ohm.

Good luck, Tom.

10. I'm with the speaker folks here. If your speakers aren't up to the task, no amount of power/lowness in you head will fix it. I've had a huge curiosity for true horn speakers. Bill Fitzmaurice, who posts here, has designed a whole bunch of them, the latest of which is called the Tuba 36. REad this here thread to see a review of it. Downright scary if you ask me.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161813

I think Madison has some cabinets that have 18 and even 21(!) inch woofers in them, they might take the heat.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    After repeatedly blowing the 18" Black Widow in my Peavey 1820, I replaced it with a Madison Executioner 18", and the difference was astounding! That cab is also bowel-shakingly deep, but since it is such a big unwieldy cab, I haven't used it in a while and kind of forgot about it. But yes, that Madison 18" goes very deep, and is very strong on the lowest notes.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Bag End 1-18 with ELF processor.

Silly lows. Giggle like a schoolgirl lows. Who needs a boyfriend lows.

Get my drift?

:D

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1 stupid lows. forgot to take my prozac lows. nitrogen narcosis lows.

14. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    My rig will make your bowels move!

15. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my rig will constipate your unborn children

16. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Did you ever go to THE BAR in New Haven?

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no, is that one of the non-hetero establishments?

"not that there's anything wrong with that"
    "no of course not"

(seinfeld and costanza)

18. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I graduated from Sacred Heart University in 1998 and I went there once with my wife. They have their own microbrewery. Pretty good beer bro!

19. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    HaHaHaHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA He he he hehehehe He Hahahahaha HaHaHa Ha Ha Ha HAHAHAHAH HA HA HA

I havent laughed that hard in months. Im also stealing that, thanks

20. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh ok i was thinking of BAR, a different place
    i've never been to either

ps - my rig will give the devil diverticulitis