1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The definitive beginner's manual?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Spacelordmother, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Hello all, if you had to pick one book as the be-all, end-all book for beginner's on making your own basses, which one would it be? I have seen several on Amazon and from what I've read here it seems that "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock is it. Does it have a section on basses, or do you just apply the knowledge presented towards building a bass? I also found "Building Electric Guitars: How to Make Solid-Body, Hollow-Body and Semi-Acoustic Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars" by Martin Koch - any thoughts on this one?
    Thanks for the input. :hyper:

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Both of those books come very highly recommended. Check out the FAQ for more info and resources (stickied on the main page of this forum).

While I believe the books do mention bass guitars (I have to admit I haven't read them) there's really nothing special about them. The techniques are pretty much the same and once you understand the theories, you should be able to apply them just about anywhere you like.

-Nate

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Hiscock's book has an entire project dedicated to making a neck-thru bass from raw materials, and several reference topics on bolt-on style basses.

For the value that each book provides, why not get them both? Such a small price for such a large return IMO

all the best,

R

4. Thanks all, I just order Melvyn's book. Can't wait!