The DEFINITIVE Stingray Sound ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 5, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

I originally posted this in a thread but it's too good to get lost and it deserves it's own discussion.

For everyone what wants to know what a Stingray sounds like, here ya go ...

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats what a stingray CAN sound like. I have yet to meet someone who plays with that much treble though.

He has a very similiar slap style to me.

And thos ssound like VERY new, stainless steel, strings.

Still a good clip tohugh. But dont think a stingray HAS to sound that, zangy.
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Yeah, it sounds almost like the acoustic sound of the bass without an amp. Does Louis always play that aggressively? He must be breaking loads of strings.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Also i believe thats a 2 band.. most rays are 3 band.
  5. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    To me it's too bright, The stingray tone to Me is the bssm LIVE tone from flea,
  6. stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    I can only imagine the blisters that came with learnign to play that aggressive:bawl:
  7. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Well -

Depending on who you believe, Louis Johnson "invented" slap bass. (Larry Graham devotees would disagree.) The Stingray is the axe on which he perfected his style of doing it.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats fine.

But. I still dont think that the stingray = taht tone. His tone is wayy more aggreisve than most stingray tones i hear.

9. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    very trebly.

i like Flea's tone on that video he did with rivers phoenix, i think that's a much more accurate example of what a more modern stingray would sound like.
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's no more definitive than calling Jaco's tone the definitive Jazz bass tone.

That might be the definitive Louis Johnson slap tone, but that's about it.
  11. Thats WAY too zingy for my taste. Bass players play on the LOW-END for a reason if you get my drift.;)

Edit: Now that I think about it, he had some akward hendrix styling left hand technique too.
  12. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Find some old Haircut 100-listen to High Noon
    or one of the nicest sounding Stingray licks:
    Sade/Kiss of Life
  13. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    Louis is da man!

I am not a big fan of Musicman basses, but I love his tone. It's very old school.

14. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I agree, the tone is too trebley, as you said. I think it could partially be due to the fact of the recording/compression, but that, to me, is not what I think of when I think "stingray."
  15. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area That's Louis' sound. I've been playing StingRays since 1977 and that is not MY sound at all. Props to Louis, he's fantastic, but, well, no.
  16. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yep.. that's about what a very aggressively slapped Stingray with new steel roundwounds recorded in part by a condenser mic 2' away from the body sounds like. One of many many possible tones that this bass is capable of, but I wouldn't call it the definitive tone. Just a popular one.
  17. I like his technique - it looks a little sloppier than some out there, but the man plays with guts(why I opriginally liked Flea also)

It's so raw and unrefined - yeah!
  18. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'll sidestep the debate on use of the word 'definitive', but suffice it to say... that's the sound I dig most from Stingrays! I've had that video for a looooong time, and Louis' slap sound is still the one I look (listen?) for when I play a Ray.
  19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Ugh. If I had heard that, and that only, prior to shopping for a Stingray, I would have looked for something else.

I set my treble and mid flat and I boost the bass slightly.
  20. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    LOL at amatuers ripping on Louis Johnson.