1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Demon Divine

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rôckhewer, Jul 13, 2017.

1. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Dang.... that IS thin.

2. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    No, it will be fine... the fingerboard, since it has lights in it, had to be left somwhat thick.
    The combination if the two will make for a normal neck thickness

3. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Did the forum overall layout just change?....or...

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I don't notice anything different. At home on a mac...

5. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Ok, that's wierd....
    Must be my phone?
    In reply to thread edit mode, my avatar was 4 times bigger...the options buttons were smaller...etc..etc...
    But now it's back to normal.

Speaking of which... isn't there a new-ish mobile app for TB..?
    Anybody using it? (Android)

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Looks the same to me, since you haven't lost all your photos, I assume you are not using Photobucket? I have to go through and re-populate all my threads, sigh.....

Rôckhewer likes this.
  7. yes, there's an Android app, I'm using it, it works fine, but most of the time I'm on a computer when I post or look at stuff. Sometimes when I'm traveling it's a good option.

8. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Bummer man!!
    I have counted on the forum to save my pics...
    When I desroyed my last phone & had limited backup... i retrieved a lot from here... thankfully.
    I never have liked photobucket.

9. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Coming along!.... :D
    Not having to laminate 7 layer wings has saved me a little time on this build.... although, by this point I usually have the fingerboard attached & fretwork done. So there's that yet to come...(minor downside being, I won't have the luxury of freedom of upper fret access, without the wings in the way) :confused:

I did it this way because I wanted to be able to flush sand the wings to the neck at the "heel" area, without the fingerboard in the way. Given the fact that I still needed to effect a body to neck angle.... with the 4 extra frets AND the wide neck at the body, complicating that somewhat. The wing joint, mainly at the upper horn required some finesse...as it would be slightly proud of the neck for a few inches. I didn't want the upper body to have the 'break' of that angle manifested anywhere too obviously. Plus the risk of ANY damage to a fingerboard that has a week or more of inlay & lights work, ...by significantly sanding the lippage of angled up wing joint right next to it?... no thanks. :rollno:
    Also, here's a bonus I was counting on, but hoping it wouldn't be too much.... a portion of the neck under the end of the fingerboard got ever so slightly angled back during the flushing up/body angle creation process. I knew this would happen going in. But to what extent? Some checking with a straightedge showed that it is about the same amount I typically angle back the last several frets for anti-ski jump fallaway....anyway ! (Love when a plan comes together!):smug:
    I will also be mounting the bass in my neck jig prior to gluing on the FB....so that procedure will be highly controllably... controlled and precisely...precise. ;):thumbsup:
    Then after the FB is dry, ...(still in the jig)...I can immediately move on to fret leveling & dressing... because I will have installed them prior to glue up.
    :cool:

Wing glue up.
    I inserted a chunk of an old E string into the series of connected drilled holes, by which route the wires for the FB lights back to the control cavity. This kept glue from fouling the path at the wing joint.
    20170722_163320.jpg

The fingerboard is just sitting in place dry for this pic.
    I kind of like this body design with the 'stagger' effect of the wings that allow access to the extra frets. My usual pointy protruberance behind the bridge eliminated in favor of this swoopy...swoop:rolleyes: 20170723_162445.jpg
    This whole thing was a custom, one-off designed by necessity for customer preference.
    But I am really diggin it. I will likely do it this way again.
    And, another bonus....without all that extra hardwood... it seems to have about 2 pounds shaved off the usuall weight!
    Don't get me wrong...I love my Hippie sandwiches!
    And the 5A quilted billet for these wings wasn't cheap... so there are tradeoffs to be considered... but changing things up once in a while is what is so fun about building 'custom' ....I friggin love it!!
    20170723_162545.jpg
    Everything but the fingerboard is going to be TransTint blue. Should be pretty.
    Also I discussed with the owner ...that I thought a gloss finish would be nicer than the matte which was planned. He agreed...:thumbsup:

10. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    These wooden output jack cups are simple to make and look nice. IMO
    2 bits, 2hole saws & a drill press w/ a vise. 20170725_152653.jpg

11. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Are you using your usual batwing tailpiece, or making something unique due to the body shape? :)

12. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I am going to go ahead & use it. But it will be the topload style I use on 35" scale.
    It doesn't look bad on paper anyway... 20170726_022236.jpg

13. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    I see how the jack connects to the cup, but how does that assembly attach to the bass?

14. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I drill a hole the same size as the OD of the cup and glue it in.

rwkeating likes this.
  15. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    My topload "batwing" tailpiece.
    Always a semi painful process... because I honestly have no love for metal work... :sour:
    I cut the basic shape out of solid brass plate.. on a waterjet. Then use a manual endmill to cut the slots & such , then finish it up by sanding to 800 then polishing on a bench grinder type buffing wheel.
    20170730_064210.jpg 20170730_063927.jpg 20170729_154500.jpg
    The first slot is so big because this bass is to be strung BEAD starting at a .135" B string.

Teacher, smithcreek, noodler and 3 others like this.
  16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I aspire to be as good at things you don't really like, as the things I do like, if that makes sense. Just awful metal work there, Rock, tedious drudgery, and it shows in your lackluster execution. :D

17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Just wondering...would you ever make and sell a copy of the batwing tailpiece? I'm eventually planning on an Alembic Balance K style build........

18. William Shafer

William Shafer

Apr 25, 2017
    Denver
    You may not like doing the metal work but you do it well! And thanks for the inspiration! I haven't worked with brass in years but I will be doing a cocobolo and brass lamination and turning it into a bridge for a cello-guitar I'll be making.

Teacher and Rôckhewer like this.
  19. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Alex,.... I can't say that is something I won't do...
    But it might resemble a certain online parts & tools sellers pricing structure... that bears the initials SM:eek:

mapleglo likes this.
  20. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    SM pricing is what it is because it costs time & money to make quality. I would hope that none of us would sell ourselves short.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021