1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Demon Divine

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rôckhewer, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    @Gilmourisgod
    Maybe by the time your Bal K build comes around...I will have worked out the bugs to automate the process a bit...(I've actually come close) ...and it could be produced at a "reasonable" price point.
    But as it stands now.... every time I make this little piece of bass jewelry, there's way too much "by hand" work that results in repeatedly scorched fingers... and much..too..much "colorful" language!
    :rage::mad::crying::spit::***::confused::banghead::rollno:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  2. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    A cello guitar? Intriguing. I have been wanting to do a sort of hybrid acoustic/electric cello myself.
    But who has the time for fun & experimentation? :(

3. William Shafer

William Shafer

Apr 25, 2017
    Denver
    I guess that's the draw back of being a commercial builder! :( Right now I'm a hobbyist so no profit.. :meh: I'll probably do a build thread when I do it. For more of a mass reproduction have you thought about casting the brass tailpieces rather then machining them from stock? I mean there is still cleaning up the piece, but brass will melt with propane, even better with M.A.P.P. and green sand is cheap and easy to do... just a thought.

4. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yes I have.
    And am looking into it further.
    I have done sand casting...albeit back in highschool.

William Shafer likes this.
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I guess another alternative would be to have them CNC cut by a third party in batches. Casting still leaves a hell of a lot of handwork. @smithcreek had some incredible tailpieces made up by somebody, can't remember if he made them himself?

6. William Shafer

William Shafer

Apr 25, 2017
    Denver
    True. If you have a CNC it would make a lot of sense. Casting just seemed like a cheap way to make a large number of pieces. After all you can melt down scrape brass you buy for $2 a pound for casting... I suppose you could always cast 1/2" thick plates you later CNC.

7. hdfixer

hdfixer Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Morgan Hill CA
    3d printer & "lost wax" methods? I understand there are low temp filaments that will "melt out."

Rôckhewer likes this.
  8. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Bingo.
    Funny you should mention.
    Just yesterday I found out....that was a "thing" that is available to me...on the 3D printers at TechShop
    And discovered...
    I have access to a $12K vaccuum casting machine.
    Typically used for jewelry...It is brand new, sitting in a storage closet!...nobody down there knows how to use it. ....
    I think I am going to have to change that. ;) I got some machine manual studying to do.
    ... I'm sure investment molds turn out much cleaner castings...compared to sand.
    Just one more thing in the "pro" column of advantages of building at a makerspace.

9. William Shafer

William Shafer

Apr 25, 2017
    Denver
    Wow, I need to see if there is anything like your maker space in Denver. I'm not prepared for making investment molds right now myself but did read up on how to make them by firing them like pottery in a kiln. Right now I'm focusing on low cost solutions. What's your take on winding your own pickups? There are some great prices on eBay for rare earth magnets.

10. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Electrical / pickup winding, is not my bag man.
    I have a good friend up by you... (Littleton, CO)
    By the name of @michaelwayneharwood (a member here... but hasn't posted much recently.)
    Anyway... when I need a special pickup built...I call him, because...well.... he's a wizard. & I dig magick.

michaelwayneharwood likes this.
  11. michaelwayneharwood

michaelwayneharwood Builder of the Wastelands Commercial User

May 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Owner Melodious Resonance Constructs
    Gorgeous work all the way around Rock, as usual. I never get tired of seeing your builds come together.

Gilmourisgod and Rôckhewer like this.
  12. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Ok so ...this was fun...
    Making pickup covers from left over neck blank material...
    Router'd out fine...
    20170802_142043.jpg
    Front super thin... about 1/32"... ok...? Thought so.....
    But is it?
    Filled the tops of the screw cutouts with ebony because I want it all solid when I go to drill new countersinks.... & sanded down the EMG covers a bit...
    20170802_142036.jpg
    THEN... glued them both in with West Systems epoxy... medium cure. (I hate epoxy)
    20170802_144149.jpg
    Gonna let em cure, & slice em apart tomorrow & sand a bit... life is good....right?

Wrong.... :(
    Few hours later I take a look at the front of the assembly & guess what I see....??
    20170802_174904.jpg
    Thats right!.... damn epoxy seeping through the curl.
    HOLY POOOP.... full panic mode!
    See.... I need to do a two stage, blue tint job on the entire bass (sans fb)...
    Soooo if there is stupid hard epoxy in the endgrain where I need to have the dark blue soak into for shadow/ contrast... it wont take the dye very well... now will it!?!?
    So at this point the epoxy is still gooey.
    So I real quick scrub /flood it as best I can with alcohol.... then just indiscriminately dump in blue & black... hoping to get enough to soak in so that sanding it back...will provide close enough to the rest of the bass....results. 20170802_180242.jpg
    I was planning on doing tests on scrap & coming up with a precise color combo....buuutt nooooo.
    The p/u covers are a great big ....fudge.
    Fantastic.
    I think I might be ok though.:confused::rollno:
    Thoughts?

13. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thank you my friend

michaelwayneharwood likes this.
  14. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Zoinks... I really hope this one works out... glad you caught it instead of discovering it the next day. :D

Rôckhewer likes this.
  15. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    That's a damn good save, if you ask me. Love the color combo. :)

Rôckhewer likes this.
  16. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Oh boy...not sure I would have predicted that either. Man, it's hard to tell just how obvious it is from my phone, but maybe you could skate by once the top coating is on? Another thought: could you "pencil in" some strong blue coloring of some kind to get it closer? Sorry I can't help more.

This, however - THIS - is, in my opinion, the real challenge (and sometimes fun!) of woodworking: overcoming the "oops!" moments that pretty much every unique project has. I honestly look very much forward to see how you overcome this. Best of luck, man!

Rôckhewer and I-Am-The-Slime like this.
  17. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    :dead::rollno:
    Tried sanding it back this morning.
    Couple spots went white... immediately.
    No color saturation to speak of.

Going to cut / sand away the wood & 'poxy from the pickups... & go again. Not using the pox.
    Or will figure some way to seal inside first.
    Good thing I have that entire neck cutout.
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::sour:

BassHappy likes this.
  18. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Rock,

I have read @smithcreek mention Duco cement a number of times.
    He uses it to seal the binding routes on his projects to prevent bleed through from whatever adhesive he is using to install the binding strips.

There are a hand full of people around here whose words I would accept as gospel everytime. He makes the list.

I tagged him, maybe he will drop in and share his $0.02

19. Rôckhewer

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Cool, thanks Charlie

BassHappy likes this.
  20. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Maybe a couple of light coats of shellac in the cavities before glue/epoxy? I know you hate epoxy, but I still think it's the right glue for this... :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021